Thread: No golden coach ride for the President of Shinola-hole

Default No golden coach ride for the President of Shinola-hole

A month before Trump's self-invited visit to the UK he has announced that he is canceling the trip because Trump doesn't like the site of the new US Embassy that was selected during President Obama's tenure.

It is considerately more likely that the visit has been canceled because of the security issues involved, and because of public protests which have been planned since Trump announced his visit and saying that he wanted to be paraded in the golden Royal Coach.
    The protests are said to be Huuuge.

Default Re: No golden coach ride for the President of Shinola-hole

Yeah, but it was Bush 2's administration that chose the location...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    There you go, damn that Obama
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

The English chose it, Bush era Congress approved it.
    Steve Martinsen

Time to reexamine the lyrics of London Calling in light of Trump cancelling trip.

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    The English chose it, Bush era Congress approved it.
    British, please.

He realized that he was not going to get the ride and wanted to make it look like his own decision. Profound insecurity. Neurotic, unstable as hell.

Maybe dubya could stand in for donald since this embassy thing is his baby.

(Are there any warrants out for dubya or is that just cheney and rummy?)
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    He realized that he was not going to get the ride and wanted to make it look like his own decision. Profound insecurity. Neurotic, unstable as hell.
    From the Times: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...tish-qhgl2v80s

A Whitehall source told The Times that the decision came after the president was left smarting over rows including a rebuke from the prime minister when he appeared to endorse a far-right group. “I don’t think anyone believes this is an issue of policy or divergence between our countries,” the source said. A US diplomatic source said that “concerns about the optics” were “part of the menu” of issues worrying the White House.
    <snip>
    David Frum, a former speechwriter to George W Bush and the author of Trumpocracy, said: “I think he feels slighted by the British nation. He had been looking forward to the rapturous crowds lining the streets on the way to Buckingham Palace. Something like Winston Churchill’s funeral, something like that was what he had in mind. I think the British government has been gently trying to communicate to him that while a visit from our great ally is always very welcome, Glasgow is actually quite nice at this time of the year, and the Hebrides even better.”
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

The president’s complaints about the new embassy building were contradicted by the US ambassador to the UK, Woody Johnson, who was appointed by Trump.

Writing in London’s Evening Standard newspaper, Johnson said the move from central London to Nine Elms, next to Battersea, was forced by security concerns after 11 September. The new building was the most advanced US embassy in the world and “did not cost the US taxpayer a cent”, he said, being financed by the sale of the old site and other London properties.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ed-trump-visit
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    The president’s complaints about the new embassy building were contradicted by the US ambassador to the UK, Woody Johnson, who was appointed by Trump.
    He's done.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Palace insiders say the visit is cancelled because Her Majesty the Queen reportedly said "If you think I'm sharing My coach with that s--thead, you're crazier than a hoot owl. Oh, btw, footman, would you find out for me exactly what a 'hoot owl' is? I once heard an American say that".

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Palace insiders say the visit is cancelled because Her Majesty the Queen reportedly said "If you think I'm sharing My coach with that s--thead, you're crazier than a hoot owl. Oh, btw, footman, would you find out for me exactly what a 'hoot owl' is? I once heard an American say that".
    I have little doubt that Lizzie's opinion is somewhere close to that, but she'd never say it.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I have little doubt that Lizzie's opinion is somewhere close to that, but she'd never say it.
    You betcha! She is the very soul of diplomacy. But she does tend to give out some subtle signals that present clues to some, while remaining hidden to others. Lizzie is a fully paid up member of the human race and she has a sense of humour to boot!

Poor Donnie. A glimpse of the interior of his gaffs in New York and Florida (photos, of course - he keeps inviting me but it would be folly to accept!) shows that he does love glittery, sparkly, osentatious things. That dreadful golden coach would be just up his street
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

I want the Trump supporters here to acknowledge that they are very supportive of our nation damaging relationships with nations that we have had a long standing, meaningful, and outright imperative to our security, relationship with. If so; traitors. I spit on you.

Could you have imagined, a few years ago, that a US president was not welcome in the UK? This man must go.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    You betcha! She is the very soul of diplomacy. But she does tend to give out some subtle signals that present clues to some, while remaining hidden to others. Lizzie is a fully paid up member of the human race and she has a sense of humour to boot!

Poor Donnie. A glimpse of the interior of his gaffs in New York and Florida (photos, of course - he keeps inviting me but it would be folly to accept!) shows that he does love glittery, sparkly, ostentatious things. That dreadful golden coach would be just up his street
    He built Ma-a-Lago because he was refused admission into the Palm Beach Bath & Tennis Club. The B&T is "the" club for anyone who is anyone on Palm Beach Island & admission requires member recommendations, a hefty fee, & a vote by the club's board. It's your basic old money club - but requires lots of that old money. He tried to join, they turned him down (unanimously, I heard) & so he bought the Mar-a-Lago estate across the road & turned it into a club filled mostly with people who were turned down by the B&T. Later, people currying favor joined as well, but its roots were what the island thought of as 2nd raters...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

He built Ma-a-Lago because he was refused admission into the Palm Beach Bath & Tennis Club. The B&T is "the" club for anyone who is anyone on Palm Beach Island & admission requires member recommendations, a hefty fee, & a vote by the club's board. It's your basic old money club - but requires lots of that old money. He tried to join, they turned him down (unanimously, I heard) & so he bought the Mar-a-Lago estate across the road & turned it into a club filled mostly with people who were turned down by the B&T. Later, people currying favor joined as well, but its roots were what the island thought of as 2nd raters...
    Not surprised but, funny as heck.

Groucho Marx's comment comes to mind………………………...

I didn't know that. What a fuggin loser.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz