Thread: Tasmanian wooden boat places to visit

Default Tasmanian wooden boat places to visit

I am planning a visit to Tasmania next month, February 5 through 19 and looking for any local knowledge regarding places to visit with wooden boat shops, festivals, etc that would be of interest. I will be starting in Hobart, driving up the east coast, and on around, counterclockwise and returning to Hobart.

Default Re: Tasmanian wooden boat places to visit

Don't miss Franklin, just south of Hobart. Whether you go there at the start or the finish, just go there. The marina at Ketterng is good. No gates. It's a wooden boat show all year. Again, just south of Hobart. In fact I wouldn't bother with going up the East Coast and around. Just head south. Dover, Southport. Lovely fishing harbours with some nice timber fishing boats. Cygnet. No marina, but plenty of nice wooden boats. Pagan Cider, near Cygnet is a good stop too. You could visit Port Arthur. And the little towns and harbours on that peninsula. And Bruney Island. It's all a place to go slowly, stop a lot, take your time.

Thanks!

Once you're at Franklin it's a short jaunt down to Port Huon where there are some lovely wooden boats as in this thread: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?233050-Lucy

Strahan (west coast) is well worth a visit. Take the fast cat tour out through Hell's Gate and then back inside Macquarie Harbour to Sarah Island. This was the site of a penal settlement and shipbuilding facility that made use of the (then ) abundant Huon Pine. Fascinating tour with a local quide is a must. The island was the setting for the true story "The Ship Thieves" - a very good read.

The woodshop on the dock at Strahan is another place to visit.

Stanley - on the NW coast is another interesting spot.

Lots of spots in Tassie with a boat focus/history. You will enjoy the visit.
    PeterW

Stunning boats, thanks, on my list.

Thanks, I have Strahan on my list, love the extra details you provided for things to do while there, glad I booked two days there. I have an overnight in Stanley, the area looks cool.

Its is, very cool

A few quick thoughts; Triabunna on the east coast has a some nice crayboats lined up on the wharf and further up the east coast, Bicheno has some canoe stern cray boats that seem particular to that area.
    For general woodworking interest there is a place in the highlands on the drive from Strahan called the Wall where there a large huon pine carved wall hangings that are a "History of Tasmania". It's a touristy spot but well worth visiting. Lunch is best had up the road at the pub. While Franklin is great I have always found taking a road off the highway to the little bays and backwaters pays great dividends as Ive sometimes found a boat in the throws of restoration tied up at little jettys with the owner aboard. Stories shared over a cuppa in winter or a beer in summer is the reward.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Beautiful, thanks.