Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is $1000 a lot of money for you?

Default Re: Is $1000 a lot of money for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Wouldn't it be the more appropriate thing to address things like our deficit, related interest payments and appropriately funding programs such as social security from an attitude of fiscal responsibility, instead of kicking the can down the road and blaming the other side?
    You are correct. One thing to consider is how the debt increased almost 8t$ during the past administration not that Bush did much better. we have to balance our checkbooks all the time but for some reason the government does not. I have a problem with that process. The bailouts for the "too big to fail" the 2 administrations performed did not help either. It is about time the American people get their own bailout no matter how insignificant it is. I keep hearing these bonuses and raises are nothing but to those (most of those) folks who struggle everyday the drop in the bucket will make a difference.

A gee a month? Huge.

A gee once? Meh. I sold something. Itís loot, but it ainít help, nor a solution.

The way to help the people of this country is to pay more profits to the workers. Letís not be foolish, any of us. There are PLENTY of profits to be shared when bonuses of board members exceed salaries of employees. And we all know that happens. Not everywhere, sure, but it does.

How do we affect THAT change, though? Trying to get people to share always comes with a stigmatic label. Iím surely some kind of ďistĒ.

Peace,
    Robert

The President makes HOW much money?

My $1000 bonus was about $700 after taxes, which were taken out of the actual bonus check. You have to read the bottom line.

So, maybe I could buy a couple of new tires, so I can get to work?

To answer the original question, no $1,000 is not a lot of money to me. Would I mind if I got an extra $1,000 - not really. Would it make a difference in my lifestyle - not at all. Of course the chance that I will get a bonus from my employer is zero since I am unemployed, so the question is moot for me.

Independent of my personal response, I am sure that lots of people at the bottom of the economic scale would find an extra $1,000 very useful. However, since the majority of low income people do not work for major corporations they are very unlikely to get any sort of bonus.

Edited to add - I have never received a bonus in my life. That is a consequence of having worked in the public sector where bonuses simply didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    Independent of my personal response, I am sure that lots of people at the bottom of the economic scale would find an extra $1,000 very useful.
    I'm sure they would... $1000 is a LOT of money, to MANY people, and every little bit helps.

The question, of course, is whether they should be satisfied by the $1000 bribe... when the overwhelming bulk of the tax break is going to people, to whom, $1000 is mere pocket change.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Unfortunately, to many Trump supporters an extra $1,000 will buy them. However, as I noted in my edited post above most of them are very unlikely to see that bribe since Bill and Skip's garage and convenience store is unlikely to pay out bonuses. I agree totally that the bulk of any corporate largess will go to upper income earners who will not even notice the difference in their checks.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    The past 9 years have been a bountiful waterfall for the 1%, who have never had it better.... they were wealthy before, and they are far more wealthy now. Meanwhile, that $1000 bonus, while certainly helpful and significant to many, makes no REAL change to their economic circumstances.... it's a one-shot deal, and when it's gone, they're in the same place they were before.

Tell me again: who needed a tax break... the 1%? Or the 99%?

Look... it's a political meme which is well over 100 years old, and 100 years ago, the robber barons weren't shy about saying it aloud... they believed in a certain political principle: that the welfare of the common people was dependent on the wealth and power of the rich. We've called it different things, over the years... perhaps 'trickle down' is the most permanent name for it...

...do YOU believe it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    It's a meaningless sum. A red herring. A shiny object. A slight of hand, a crumb. BofA just gave out $145,000,000. They have a market cap of $322,000,000,000 and an enterprise value of $282,000,000,000. The bonus they just gave out is a rounding error for them. And that's the biggest one on the list.
    My daughter-in-law got a bonus last month - 20%. Perhaps prompted by the tax cut for pass through businesses. My daughter got a bonus last month. Neither needed a bonus. Individually either bonus would have made a difference to a family at the median. But made little to no difference to them.

Unfortunately, that is the way life currently works. Those with no need get. Those with needs do without.

But some rich people are generous. Someone gave $33 million to fund 1000 scholarships. That might mean that 1000 people get degrees with no debt to repay. Hopefully they are some of the most in need. Then there is the wage increase that Walmart announced. The $2/hour increase in starting wage is a lot better than the bonus.
    Life is complex.

If you look at the Names of the companies that gave out the bonuses I think you will see they are mostly in Blue states. I doubt it really bought many votes for the republicans. Certainly that grand will long be forgotten by November.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

A friend received his first paycheck under the new tax rules. The change? $12.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Three cups of coffee and a tip, how nice!

Quote Originally Posted by redeye1962 View Post
    You are correct. One thing to consider is how the debt increased almost 8t$ during the past administration not that Bush did much better. we have to balance our checkbooks all the time but for some reason the government does not. I have a problem with that process. The bailouts for the "too big to fail" the 2 administrations performed did not help either. It is about time the American people get their own bailout no matter how insignificant it is. I keep hearing these bonuses and raises are nothing but to those (most of those) folks who struggle everyday the drop in the bucket will make a difference.
    And you are wrong.

At least about the comparison of the Bush/Obama deficit. The federal deficit increased under Bush, but it decreased under Obama.

Though we would likely be able to find some common grounds on some of your larger points, facts do matter. They are really the only basis for any rational policy discussion. Not that I am accusing you of this, but one of the reasons that this country is in the predicament that it finds itself is that one side has conistently bargained in bad faith in pursuit of ideology.
    Steve Martinsen

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    And you are wrong.

At least about the comparison of the Bush/Obama deficit. The federal deficit increased under Bush, but it decreased under Obama.

Though we would likely be able to find some common grounds on some of your larger points, facts do matter. They are really the only basis for any rational policy discussion. Not that I am accusing you of this, but one of the reasons that this country is in the predicament that it finds itself is that one side has conistently bargained in bad faith in pursuit of ideology.
    The problem, for all administrations, is that as long as you continue to have a deficit, you're not addressing the debt.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

In the overall, you cannot address the debt without addressing the structural deficit. The recent tax bill made this problem a lot more difficult to solve.
    Steve Martinsen

In the overall, you cannot address the debt without addressing the structural deficit. The recent tax bill made this problem a lot more difficult to solve.
    Agreed. It only stacks on top of Regan and Bush era cuts that were already issues.
    -William A. Ward

As a one-off payment it is pathetic. Yes it will seem like a big score to some low paid workers, but consider this..

If a guy works 300 days per year, 8 hours a day and he was given $1 per hour pay rise, that would be $2400. Not just once but every year.
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Here is the debt.

The curve is flattening, ie, optimistically, at least, starting to bend in the right direction at the of the end of the last administration.

Where does it go from now on is the question.
    Steve Martinsen

Agreed. It only stacks on top of Regan and Bush and Obama era cuts that were already issues.
    ftfy
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    As a one-off payment it is pathetic. Yes it will seem like a big score to some low paid workers, but consider this..

If a guy works 300 days per year, 8 hours a day and he was given $1 per hour pay rise, that would be $2400. Not just once but every year.
    Raising the federal minimum wage right now would indeed be a very good thing right now. Alas...
    Steve Martinsen

ftfy
    If you look at the debt chart, Obama's increases pale in comparison to his predecessors.

But yes you are right, Obama sucks.
    Steve Martinsen

ftfy
    Truth. The continuation of Bush's tax cuts was a mistake. The goal of keeping government operating was noble, but, I think he should have let the Republicans shut things down.
    -William A. Ward

And you are wrong.

Though we would likely be able to find some common grounds on some of your larger points, facts do matter. They are really the only basis for any rational policy discussion. Not that I am accusing you of this, but one of the reasons that this country is in the predicament that it finds itself is that one side has consistently bargained in bad faith in pursuit of ideology.
    Facts are really difficult to determine.

Your graph of deficits does not give attribution to which policies created the deficits. Each president enacts policies that create future deficits. A president's contribution is most likely not properly accounted for by the usual graphs.
    Life is complex.

Raising the federal minimum wage right now would indeed be a very good thing right now. Alas...
    Most people who favor an increase in minimum wage don't argue for enough.

Last year the stock market raised my future annual incomes by 20%. I expect a 10% raise each year. That is pretty typical of people who have investments. It is going to be very hard for those working at minimum wage (or any type of wage) to stop losing ground.
    Life is complex.

I got my first paycheck of the new year yesterday. My federal income taxes went up by $1.

Yes and no. I don't have it in my wallet, but I can get it. I will tell you this: the young woman who keeps my office and the control room clean works for a contract maid service. She also works at a local restaurant to take care of her three children as a single mom. At Christmas we collected $280 for her and gave it to her in a card, and she had tears in her eyes. For so many hard working Americans a thousand dollars is more money than they ever expect to see as disposable income.

My problem is what is going to happen next year and the year after when Congress and the administration start demanding cuts in things because tax revenues have gone down so much.

I have friends in Europe who actually laugh at us. Our infrastructure is crumbling. Our education system is lacking. Our health care system is built for only those who can pay the high premiums, high deductibles, or have bank accounts big enough to weather any storm that may come along. Yet our idea of making America great is to cut taxes to the wealthy and corporations, and the sheep follow along and brag about their mutual fund returns and the little bit of money the big companies are willing to mete out to their wage slaves to convince them this is all a very good thing. My God in Heaven but it is sad to see what we have become.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    Most people who favor an increase in minimum wage don't argue for enough.

Last year the stock market raised my future annual incomes by 20%. I expect a 10% raise each year. That is pretty typical of people who have investments. It is going to be very hard for those working at minimum wage (or any type of wage) to stop losing ground.
    Brezactly!

At some point, people with obscene amounts of money are going to have to share it with the people who don’t have obscene amounts of money, because that is the only way people without will become people with.

The system works by gaming people into believeing we can all be on top, if we just work hard enough or what have you. We can’t.
    Logic would seem to dictate that.

So, we need a change in values, to shift our focus from treasure hoarding to community building. I mean, people often do their work because they enjoy it, and the salary can determine whether or not that is viable. Imagine the society where a garbage man or janitor is as valued as a CEO.

Which sounds nice and airy and fluffy, until someone has to give up their heated napkin dispenser, or summer home(s).

Peace,
    No Answers, But I Keep Guessing And Hoping

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    Facts are really difficult to determine.

Your graph of deficits does not give attribution to which policies created the deficits. Each president enacts policies that create future deficits. A president's contribution is most likely not properly accounted for by the usual graphs.
    Maybe.

One thing during Obama's watch that did help rein in the deficit was the budget sequester. Though I am not so sure that gridlock should not get the credit.
    Steve Martinsen

Look at this chart and think that if you couldn't live in the US, what country would you prefer to live in?

-William A. Ward

For the wealthy elites here, yes, $1000 is a lot of money, if you have ever lived pay check to pay check it's grocery's for a couple months and puts some new cloths on the kids. And BTW it's $2000 from Chrysler , just announced Ram truck assembly coming back to Michigan from Mexico, 2500 new jobs.

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/fiat-c...-jobs/15065611

Quote Originally Posted by redeye1962 View Post
    It seems like there are a lot of companies giving bonus around $1000. Some from Congress are saying that amount is crumbs and not enough even though they have had the opportunity to do better. For me that is a very good sum of money and would allow me to catch up on some bills and pay some taxes. I feel most Americans receiving these bonuses feel the same way. Yes the owners are getting a bonus as well but would not be able to pass it down if they did not get their tax breaks.
    What say you?
    US$1,000.00 is a lot to me.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    For the wealthy elites here, yes, $1000 is a lot of money, if you have ever lived pay check to pay check it's grocery's for a couple months and puts some new cloths on the kids. And BTW it's $2000 from Chrysler , just announced Ram truck assembly coming back to Michigan from Mexico, 2500 new jobs.

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/fiat-c...-jobs/15065611
    You might have missed the other announcement from FCA. Yeah, they're moving truck production back to Michigan, but all FCA cars will be built in either South America, Asia, or India. Ford is making a similar move.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

You might have missed the other announcement from FCA. Yeah, they're moving truck production back to Michigan, but all FCA cars will be built in either South America, Asia, or India. Ford is making a similar move.
    Wonder what will the loss of US jobs and knock-on effects be like, one wonders? Suppliers, local businesses, etc.
    -William A. Ward

2 million of the 150 million strong US workforce are expected to get this $1000 bonus and as far as I can tell they all work for some pretty big companies. https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ed/1023848001/

When my locally owned bookstores, hardware shops, cafes and the like start passing out bonuses then I might begin to think there is something more to this than a PR stunt.

Credit card debt in America:

sorry about the size

For most Americans, that bonus is already spent.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Brezactly!

At some point, people with obscene amounts of money are going to have to share it with the people who don’t have obscene amounts of money, because that is the only way people without will become people with.

The system works by gaming people into believing we can all be on top, if we just work hard enough or what have you. We can’t. Logic would seem to dictate that.
    Back when I was much younger and our business was just getting started, part of my job was pestering my wife to save more money. I would tell here things like: This quarter we earned a weeks income from our investments. And I was so proud. I was even proud a couple years ago when our annual investment income exceeded our business income - we would have a great retirement.

But now the amounts are as you say obscene. Even sending 2 grandkids to college at the same time and giving more to charity than I ever thought we would will not stop our wealth from growing. I wish more people would realize that they have obscene amounts of money.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    I don't know what to say about that. Except the obvious: the people toward the left need a bit more help than those toward the right. While obvious, it appears those toward the right often don't see it.
    Life is complex.

FCA is Ram Trucks and Jeep. I keep reading their car market is sucking wind, and may not survive.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!