Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Is $1000 a lot of money for you?

Default Re: Is $1000 a lot of money for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    You might have missed the other announcement from FCA. Yeah, they're moving truck production back to Michigan, but all FCA cars will be built in either South America, Asia, or India. Ford is making a similar move.
    FCA is Ram Trucks and Jeep. I keep reading their car market is sucking wind, and may not survive.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by redeye1962 View Post
    For me that is a very good sum of money and would allow me to catch up on some bills
    What say you?
    It sounds to me that you are living outside your means.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

$1000.00 In another thread Peter Sibley posted a link to an ad on Gumtree (our Craigslist) where someone about a 45 minute drive from me is selling a shellback dinghy, with sails, oars, the whole shebang, on a trailer, bright finished and looking to be in good condition, asking price $1350.00 Which obviously means they will sell for $1000.00 which doesn't seem like a lot of money for that setup. Not a lot at all. It's a lot for me because although I think I'm living within my means, my means are modest. But still, I could scrounge $1000.00 It's sitting right there in my savings account. But my truck is sitting right there in my mechanics workshop getting a new clutch. And one of my cars is due back from the crash repairer any time now, not covered by insurance. $1000.00. Hmmm, is that a lot of money for me? Or for that darned shellback? I just don't know right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    It sounds to me that you are living outside your means.
    Or I may be one of the struggling Americans out there. I still do not recall where the last administration gave me any relief, only higher taxes. Bush at least gave me a better child tax credit which helped until Obama got rid of it. Trump just gave it back which will help me out greatly. Unfortunate I am not one of those lucky enough to get a bonus but know I will still benefit from the tax cuts and not worried about the deduction either. If I am the only satisfied one out there so be it but know I am not.

"A thousand bucks: a second hand car and two cheap suits."

I will never turn down a bonus. Who in their right mind would?

But instead of a raise in salary or hourly pay? Screw you, you miserable bastids!

Deja Moo: The feeling that you have heard this bull before.

I've grown cynical over the last months so I read the OP as a leading question. It's forever been obvious that the value of money is relative to situation and station.

To corporations and the people who control them, $1000 is meaningless, barely worth the time to stoop to pick up off the street. It has value to the recipient as per the above comment; what's one's situation? The joy value of receiving an unexpected $1000 is understood by all but that's universal.
    Just value a thousand bucks, never mind where it came from.

I say to the men doling it out it's cheaper than chalk if it buys a person's loyalty and support. To everybody else, it depends.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

It seems like there are a lot of companies giving bonus around $1000. Some from Congress are saying that amount is crumbs and not enough even though they have had the opportunity to do better. For me that is a very good sum of money and would allow me to catch up on some bills and pay some taxes. I feel most Americans receiving these bonuses feel the same way. Yes the owners are getting a bonus as well but would not be able to pass it down if they did not get their tax breaks.
    What say you?
    For many people, $1000 is lost among the greater sums they earn. It's a few days' of capital gain from one investment property, a day and a half of work, one 350th of one sail's price, or even just a few seconds of earnings even while they sleep.

"The owners" COULD afford to pass it down without a tax break. They wouldn't even really notice it. The problem is that the system is so rigged that many people are happy with a mere crumb from the table of the wealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    I've grown cynical over the last months so I read the OP as a leading question. It's forever been obvious that the value of money is relative to situation and station.

To corporations and the people who control them, $1000 is meaningless, barely worth the time to stoop to pick up off the street. It has value to the recipient as per the above comment; what's one's situation? The joy value of receiving an unexpected $1000 is understood by all but that's universal.
    Just value a thousand bucks, never mind where it came from.

I say to the men doling it out it's cheaper than chalk if it buys a person's loyalty and support. To everybody else, it depends.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    For many people, $1000 is lost among the greater sums they earn. It's a few days' of capital gain from one investment property, a day and a half of work, one 350th of one sail's price, or even just a few seconds of earnings even while they sleep.

"The owners" COULD afford to pass it down without a tax break. They wouldn't even really notice it. The problem is that the system is so rigged that many people are happy with a mere crumb from the table of the wealthy.
    So as insignificant as it is would you agree this is more than what the last administration provided?

I wouldn't kick $1000 out of bed, no.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

So as insignificant as it is would you agree this is more than what the last administration provided?
    Let's breakdown the ridiculously stupid inanity of the above query. When Obama assumed office, the unemployment rate was nearly 10%. During his presidency it declined to approximately 4.4%. The GDP grew at an annual rate approaching 2.8% and during eight quarters was over 3% during Obama's presidency. The DJIA was 7949 the day Obama took office, the day he left office it was 19,732.00

When Obama assumed office, the real estate, banking, insurance, finanacial/investment, and auto industries were reeling; actually teetering near collapse.

And you're really gonna suggest Trump has done more for you and the average American, by getting Walmart to give some small raises to its lowest paid employees and by giving out a one time $1000.00 bonus to the same employees, than Obama did?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Let's breakdown the ridiculously stupid inanity of the above query. When Obama assumed office, the unemployment rate was nearly 10%. During his presidency it declined to approximately 4.4%. The GDP grew at an annual rate approaching 2.8% and during eight quarters was over 3% during Obama's presidency. The DJIA was 7949 the day Obama took office, the day he left office it was 19,732.00

When Obama assumed office, the real estate, banking, insurance, finanacial/investment, and auto industries were reeling; actually teetering near collapse.

And you're really gonna suggest Trump has done more for you and the average American, by getting Walmart to give some small raises to its lowest paid employees and by giving out a one time $1000.00 bonus to the same employees, than Obama did?
    Under the Obama administration I received bonuses of over 10% of my annual pay twice and 20% once, as well as some generous pay raises. I took nothing but huge cuts under Bush and lost most of my pension as well. Another 10% bonus this year. There is no reason other companies couldn't be doing the same.

These $1000.00 bonuses are nothing more than a distraction for those that would fall for it. Boost base pay and create a system where employees share in the success and breed loyalty and customer service.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    These $1000.00 bonuses are nothing more than a distraction for those that would fall for it.
    you know what they're really distracting from? the 'bonuses' that walmarts executives and shareholders are about to give themselves. . .

I always like to make the claim: for the government to give something to the poor it has to give a lot to the rich. Looking at the DOW it appears the wealth of the rich was doubled. That doubling of wealth more or less doubles expected future income. So a 100% raise.

Obama increased inequality. The Trump tax cuts also increased inequality. It is foolish to argue who is doing the better job when the intended direction is wrong.
    Life is complex.

you know what they're really distracting from? the 'bonuses' that walmarts executives and shareholders are about to give themselves. . .
    As I said, no reason more companies couldn't be spreading the wealth more in the manner that my employer does. That would certainly spur the economy far more than the "bonus" is.
    Tom

Or I may be one of the struggling Americans out there. I still do not recall where the last administration gave me any relief, only higher taxes. Bush at least gave me a better child tax credit which helped until Obama got rid of it. Trump just gave it back which will help me out greatly. Unfortunate I am not one of those lucky enough to get a bonus but know I will still benefit from the tax cuts and not worried about the deduction either. If I am the only satisfied one out there so be it but know I am not.
    the labor market strength started under Obama. That's fact, as shown by a history of walmart wage increases (feb 2015, feb 2016). I realize this interferes with your feelings and so you will disregard it.

Obama also raised our taxes, gave us an "affordable" Healthcare abomination, doubled the deficit, lowered the labor force, increased unemployment.....you have to allow for the ones who gave up looking for a job, increased welfare as well as those in poverty..............still there is plenty more to add but I hope you get the drift.

Obama also raised our taxes. . .
    which taxes did obama raise?

didn't obama also extend the bush era tax cuts? (dumbest thing he did during his preseidency, but i digress)
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 01-14-2018 at 01:21 PM.

doubled the deficit
    The deficit grew for two primary reasons during the obama administration, an increase in interest payments on the national debt; secondarily it grew due to a reduction in tax revenue from the poorly performing economy inherited from George W. Bush.

increased unemployment
    That's a lie. Unemployment was lower, much lower, when he left than when he took office.
    https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000
    If you care about the deficit you should look at the Trump tax cut you are now cheering.

Or don't, just keep making up crap to fit your feelings.

which taxes did obama raise?

didn't obama also extend the bush era tax cuts? (dumbest thing he did during his preseidency, but i digress)
    1. A 156 percent increase in the federal excise tax on tobacco: On February 4, 2009, just sixteen days into his Administration, Obama signed into law a 156 percent increase in the federal excise tax on tobacco, a hike of 61 cents per pack. The median income of smokers is just over $36,000 per year.
    2. Obamacare Individual Mandate Excise Tax (takes effect in Jan 2014): Starting in 2014, anyone not buying “qualifying” health insurance – as defined by Obama-appointed HHS bureaucrats -- must pay an income surtax according to the higher of the following: The Congressional Budget Office recently estimated that six million American families will be liable for the tax, and as Americans for Tax Reform has pointed out, 100 percent of Americans filing a tax return (140 million filers) will be forced to submit paperwork to the IRS showing they had “qualifying” health insurance for every month of the tax year. Bill: PPACA; Page: 317-337)
    3. Obamacare Employer Mandate Tax (takes effect Jan. 2014): If an employer does not offer health coverage, and at least one employee qualifies for a health tax credit, the employer must pay an additional non-deductible tax of $2000 for all full-time employees. Applies to all employers with 50 or more employees. If any employee actually receives coverage through the exchange, the penalty on the employer for that employee rises to $3000. If the employer requires a waiting period to enroll in coverage of 30-60 days, there is a $400 tax per employee ($600 if the period is 60 days or longer). Bill: PPACA; Page: 345-346
    4. Obamacare Surtax on Investment Income (Tax hike of $123 billion/takes effect Jan. 2013): Creation of a new, 3.8 percent surtax on investment income earned in households making at least $250,000 ($200,000 single). This would result in the following top tax rates on investment income: Bill: Reconciliation Act; Page: 87-93

5. Obamacare Excise Tax on Comprehensive Health Insurance Plans (Tax hike of $32 bil/takes effect Jan. 2018): Starting in 2018, new 40 percent excise tax on “Cadillac” health insurance plans ($10,200 single/$27,500 family). Higher threshold ($11,500 single/$29,450 family) for early retirees and high-risk professions. CPI +1 percentage point indexed. Bill: PPACA; Page: 1,941-1,956
    6. Obamacare Hike in Medicare Payroll Tax (Tax hike of $86.8 bil/takes effect Jan. 2013): Current law and changes:
    Bill: PPACA, Reconciliation Act; Page: 2000-2003; 87-93
    7. Obamacare Medicine Cabinet Tax (Tax hike of $5 bil/took effect Jan. 2011): Americans are no longer able to use health savings account (HSA), flexible spending account (FSA), or health reimbursement (HRA) pre-tax dollars to purchase non-prescription, over-the-counter medicines (except insulin). Bill: PPACA; Page: 1,957-1,959
    8. Obamacare HSA Withdrawal Tax Hike (Tax hike of $1.4 bil/took effect Jan. 2011): Increases additional tax on non-medical early withdrawals from an HSA from 10 to 20 percent, disadvantaging them relative to IRAs and other tax-advantaged accounts, which remain at 10 percent. Bill: PPACA; Page: 1,959
    9. Obamacare Flexible Spending Account Cap – aka “Special Needs Kids Tax” (Tax hike of $13 bil/takes effect Jan. 2013): Imposes cap on FSAs of $2500 (currently unlimited). Indexed to inflation after 2013. There is one group of FSA owners for whom this new cap will be particularly cruel and onerous: parents of special needs children. There are thousands of families with special needs children in the United States, and many of them use FSAs to pay for special needs education. Tuition rates at one leading school that teaches special needs children in Washington, D.C. (National Child Research Center) can easily exceed $14,000 per year. Under tax rules, FSA dollars can be used to pay for this type of special needs education. Bill: PPACA; Page: 2,388-2,389
    10. Obamacare Tax on Medical Device Manufacturers (Tax hike of $20 bil/takes effect Jan. 2013): Medical device manufacturers 409,000 people in 12,000 plants across the country. This law imposes a new 2.3 percent excise tax on total sales, even if the respective company does not earn a profit. Exempts items retailing for <$100. Bill: PPACA; Page: 1,980-1,986
    11. Obamacare "Haircut" for Medical Itemized Deduction from 7.5% to 10% of AGI (Tax hike of $15.2 bil/takes effect Jan. 2013): Currently, those facing high medical expenses are allowed a deduction for medical expenses to the extent that those expenses exceed 7.5 percent of adjusted gross income (AGI). The new provision imposes a threshold of 10 percent of AGI. Waived for 65+ taxpayers in 2013-2016 only. Bill: PPACA; Page: 1,994-1,995
    12. Obamacare Tax on Indoor Tanning Services (Tax hike of $2.7 billion/took effect July 2010): New 10 percent excise tax on Americans using indoor tanning salons. Making matters worse: According to a Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration report, the Obama IRS didn’t bother to issue compliance guidelines until three quarterly filing deadlines had passed: “By the time [IRS] notices were issued, tanning excise tax returns had been due for three quarters." Bill: PPACA; Page: 2,397-2,399
    13. Obamacare elimination of tax deduction for employer-provided retirement Rx drug coverage in coordination with Medicare Part D (Tax hike of $4.5 bil/takes effect Jan. 2013) Bill: PPACA; Page: 1,994
    14. Obamacare Blue Cross/Blue Shield Tax Hike (Tax hike of $0.4 bil/took effect Jan. 1 2010): The special tax deduction in current law for Blue Cross/Blue Shield companies would only be allowed if 85 percent or more of premium revenues are spent on clinical services. Bill: PPACA; Page: 2,004
    15. Obamacare Excise Tax on Charitable Hospitals (Min$/took effect immediately): $50,000 per hospital if they fail to meet new "community health assessment needs," "financial assistance," and "billing and collection" rules set by Obama-appointed HHS bureaucrats. Bill: PPACA; Page: 1,961-1,971
    16. Obamacare Tax on Innovator Drug Companies (Tax hike of $22.2 bil/took effect Jan. 2010): $2.3 billion annual tax on the industry imposed relative to share of sales made that year. Bill: PPACA; Page: 1,971-1,980
    17. Obamacare Tax on Health Insurers (Tax hike of $60.1 bil/takes effect Jan. 2014): Annual tax on the industry imposed relative to health insurance premiums collected that year. Phases in gradually until 2018. Fully-imposed on firms with $50 million in profits. Bill: PPACA; Page: 1,986-1,993
    18. Obamacare $500,000 Annual Executive Compensation Limit for Health Insurance Executives (Tax hike of $0.6 bil/takes effect Jan 2013). Bill: PPACA; Page: 1,995-2,000
    19. Obamacare Employer Reporting of Insurance on W-2 ($min/takes effect Jan. 2012): Preamble to taxing health benefits on individual tax returns. Bill: PPACA; Page: 1,957
    20. Obamacare “Black liquor” tax hike (Tax hike of $23.6 billion/took effect immediately). This is a tax increase on a type of bio-fuel. Bill: Reconciliation Act; Page: 105
    21. Obamacare Codification of the “economic substance doctrine” (Tax hike of $4.5 billion/took effect immediately). This provision allows the IRS to disallow completely-legal tax deductions and other legal tax-minimizing plans just because the IRS deems that the action lacks “substance” and is merely intended to reduce taxes owed. Bill: Reconciliation Act; Page: 108-113

Capital Gains Dividends Other*
    2011-2012 15% 15% 35%
    2013+ (current law) 23.8% 43.4% 43.4%
    2013+ (Obama budget) 23.8% 23.8% 43.4%

What a laugh.

Gutting the skin cancer industry...

"Obamacare Tax on Indoor Tanning Services (Tax hike of $2.7 billion/took effect July 2010): New 10 percent excise tax on Americans using indoor tanning salons.

(actually the tax was imposed on those selling "tanning" or "UV Radiation" facilities.)

Why that commie bastard!

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    It's a sop. A distraction. $1,000 is always welcome, no matter how comfortable you are. But in the scheme of things, as Norman intimates, not much significance. Except as a sop. A distraction.
    huge amount of significance for some people... Just crumbs to Richy Rich Liberals.

Liberals hate the thought of poor people being beholden to anyone but the Democrats for handouts... that's the real reason Liberals are so down on the Walmart Pay raise... it will help people be less dependent on Welfare.

Truth to lies: Nobody here is down on the Walmart pay raise.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    huge amount of significance for some people... Just crumbs to Richy Rich Liberals.

Liberals hate the thought of poor people being beholden to anyone but the Democrats for handouts... that's the real reason Liberals are so down on the Walmart Pay raise... it will help people be less dependent on Welfare.
    Liberals and democrats are willing to help poor people, Republicans don't give a squat. They are the Scrooges of the 21st century. Walmart should not have to put it's employees in a position where they have to be helped by the Welfare system.

Redeye, you are quite the partisan hack. And that's why you can't have any nice things.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Liberals and democrats are willing to help poor people,
    The Democrats gave me a tax cut during the Obama years. It is worth several hundred thousands of dollars - the tax on $2 million, to me. I don't see any attempt to provide that much to those in the bottom half of the economy.

(I don't count replacing one healthcare program for the poor with a less generous plan as help for the poor.)

I don't understand how raising taxes is such a bad thing. The government needs to raise taxes. We should be proud of presidents who want to raise taxes.
    Life is complex.

No, because the last administration didn't give "the owners" a huge tax cut that will have to be paid by everyone, eventually.

The big picture is about a lot more than $1000 to a small percentage of people.

Don't think I've ever had that much cash on me. It would make me nervous.

On the other hand, 123 times 1000 is what it will take to pay off the mortgage.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Redeye, you are quite the partisan hack. And that's why you can't have any nice things.
    Actually I think of myself as an independent unlike a lot of folks on this forum and unfortunately not as rich as them but cherish what I have. Most of all Family, Friends and of course the bilge.

Actually I think of myself as an independent
    think again

Yup. 'I do not think that means what you think it means', comes to mind.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....