Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Is $1000 a lot of money for you?

Default Is $1000 a lot of money for you?

It seems like there are a lot of companies giving bonus around $1000. Some from Congress are saying that amount is crumbs and not enough even though they have had the opportunity to do better. For me that is a very good sum of money and would allow me to catch up on some bills and pay some taxes. I feel most Americans receiving these bonuses feel the same way. Yes the owners are getting a bonus as well but would not be able to pass it down if they did not get their tax breaks.
    What say you?

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Default Re: Is $1000 a lot of money for you?

WOW, a thousand bucks, that's less than my taxes. WHEEE!

Quote Originally Posted by redeye1962 View Post
    It seems like there are a lot of companies giving bonus around $1000. Some from Congress are saying that amount is crumbs and not enough even though they have had the opportunity to do better. For me that is a very good sum of money and would allow me to catch up on some bills and pay some taxes. I feel most Americans receiving these bonuses feel the same way. Yes the owners are getting a bonus as well but would not be able to pass it down if they did not get their tax breaks.
    What say you?
    It's a start. The problem here is that companies aren't raising compensation - there is not guarantee of future income. A spot bonus of $1,000 is nice and looks good from a PR point of view, but we all know that means the take-home for the employee is much less because of taxes. Considering the size of the tax breaks that some companies are getting, these bonuses are a pittance.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

We got the $1000 bonus after deductions my net deposit was $612. Sure, who is going to turn down free money.

I bought a new rod and reel for about $130 and a new rain jacket for $70. The other $412 went into the household account to bay bills. So it really didn't change much. Now, I shall wait and see if anything changes with our yearly bonus and pay raise that are annually at the end of February.

Extra money is always welcome, but not life changing.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Depends on the context. $1000 cash in my wallet right now? Nice chunk of change.
    $1000 more in my paycheck every month. Even better.
    @ $1000 a month less going going out since I made my last tuition payment EVER,
    Daughter totally off the payroll later this spring, NEW CAR.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

A thousand bucks a year is only two-seventy something per day. Huge. Median income in the U.S. is, depending on geography, between fifty and sixty thousand per annum, so a thousand bucks is just under two percent. That's yuuuge for one-time boost.
    I don't care to know what the tough do when the going gets tough.

I am interested in what the enlightened do.

What say you?
    It's perfectly fine..... as long as you feel that it's the appropriate policy of government to give billions in tax relief to 1% of the population, thereby ever-increasing wealth and income inequality.

$1000 is a considerable sum to ordinary people, and I'm certain it will be quite welcome to the workers who receive it. Of course, as was pointed out last night on one of the news shows, a number of companies receiving those huge tax breaks are also laying off hundreds, or thousands, of workers.

You talk about owners 'passing it down'. Tell me, what's the appropriate ratio?

Exactly how far would you like this to go? The $1000 bonuses will NOT change the fact that working wages have been flat for decades, while executive compensation has rise phenomenally in the same period. Where does this end? And is it good for the country?
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

It's a sop. A distraction. $1,000 is always welcome, no matter how comfortable you are. But in the scheme of things, as Norman intimates, not much significance. Except as a sop. A distraction.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    We got the $1000 bonus after deductions my net deposit was $612. Sure, who is going to turn down free money.

I bought a new rod and reel for about $130 and a new rain jacket for $70. The other $412 went into the household account to bay bills. So it really didn't change much. Now, I shall wait and see if anything changes with our yearly bonus and pay raise that are annually at the end of February.

Extra money is always welcome, but not life changing.
    So it sounds like you stimulated the economy a bit by your extra purchases which in turn helps those establishments. It may be a drop in the bucket for one person but if millions of people do the same can make a very good change. Good for you

So it sounds like you stimulated the economy a bit by your extra purchases which in turn helps those establishments. It may be a drop in the bucket for one person but if millions of people do the same can make a very good change. Good for you
    Peanuts. Even a million workers with a thousand dollars each, is but a TINY fraction of what's gone into the pockets of the 1%.

Should we all so easily be bought and sold? This entire 'bonus' thing is nothing more than a PR stunt... a tiny fraction of the money that benefited just a very small handful of people... and the right wing sucked it up as if it was meaningful.....

...which it was not.

Hint: they are NOT working for the benefit of the nation as a whole.... they are working for THEIR constituency.... no, not the older white people who voted for Trump, but the robber barons who support them.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

This is mostly of true! Although I was going to buy the rod & reel and jacket anyway. They were on my Christmas list and I didn't get them. But the extra money made me feel less guilty about treating myself.

Most of the folks I talked too about it were planning on using it to pay down Credit Cards they had run up at Christmas.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

$1000 is a nice chunk, but you are missing the forest for the trees.

1. On a percentage basis, the .01% got more.
    A lot more. Increasing the disparity of wealth is not a good thing for the rest of us.

2. The tax cut wantonly explodes the deficit and national debt. Fiscal responsibility for thee but not for me is a prime example of Republican hypocrisy.

3. Economics 101 tells you that you do not need to cut taxes when the economy is booming.

4. The resultant stronger USD will make it all the more difficult to to restrain the nation's increasing balance of trade deficit.

I could go on...
    Steve Martinsen

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    $1000 is a nice chunk, but you are missing the forest for the trees.

1. On a percentage basis, the .01% got more.
    A lot more. Increasing the disparity of wealth is not a good thing for the rest of us.

2. The tax cut wantonly explodes the deficit and national debt. Fiscal responsibility for thee but not for me is a prime example of Republican hypocrisy.

3. Economics 101 tells you that you do not need to cut taxes when the economy is b

4. The resultant stronger USD will make it all the more difficult to to restrain the nation's increasing balance of trade deficit.

I could go on...
    Spot on. The people who received those $1000 bonuses will be paying for them in the future - one way or another. Either that or our children and grand-children, etc. TANSTAAFL
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

So you like it because it is a 'fiscal stimulus', eh? Well, you're right, any bonuses that happen will likely have some % spent (and some saved, of course). That proportion that is spent WILL serve as a fiscal stimulus.

The next question then, is - do we need/want a fiscal stimulus at this point in the business cycle. The answer is no. While the primary thrust of this 'tax reform' bill was to enrich the already rich... it also included a small, temporary, bit of savings for the middle class. This approach was enacted - not because it's good policy - but because it provided 'cover' for the primary action.

Look at it another way. The Fed is a non-partisan group that watches the markets, the business cycle, and the patterns and trends... with an eagle eye. They have some very smart people - a lot of them, with varied backgrounds and outlook, contributing to their policies. So take a peek... WHAT are they doing right now? And why? Does a fiscal stimulus buttress their actions, or run counter?

The answer is - it runs counter. This is not a good time for a fiscal stimulus. Looking at the business cycle - we're due (overdue?) for a slowdown. Economists know that trying to forestall the business cycle is like trying to stem the tides. All we can do is nibble at the edges and make small adjustments. We can speed things up a bit - or slow them down. My own view is that a stimulus at this point will make coming to what's known as a 'soft landing' (a tough juggle at the best of times) even more difficult. It has the potential for making the slowdown both more precipitous and more painful.

So why would our 'leaders' make such a policy? Because there IS a benefit. To them. To the Republican party. See... they know that good economic metrics benefit the party in power when it comes to midterm elections... and especially to presidential elections. So they are willing to let you and I pay an economic price longer term, so that they can benefit politically in the short-term. Politicians have ALWAYS made such considerations part of their calculus. These days, however, the R's seem to have made it the foundation.

The good new, however, is that all of that is ameliorated by the fact that the amount going to the non-super-rich is so small that the 'fiscal stimulus' effect will not be huge. It's more about window dressing, you see.

But go ahead... keep on believing that party line. I'm sure it'll turn out as beautifully for you as it has for the folks in the OP graphic.
    Last edited by David G; 01-12-2018 at 11:26 AM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

What say you?
    30 years ago my income was near the median. I was given a $1000 bonus. Everyone else got a raise. I quit a short time later.

I don't think $1000 will change the lives of many of those who get a bonus. At least not in the long term.
    Life is complex.

Many published reports showed that CEO's were not interested in this tax "reform" and are largely planning on spending tax savings on share buybacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    I don't think $1000 will change the lives of many of those who get a bonus. At least not in the long term.
    A post from TLT that I can actually agree with.
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Peanuts. Even a million workers with a thousand dollars each, is but a TINY fraction of what's gone into the pockets of the 1%.

Should we all so easily be bought and sold? This entire 'bonus' thing is nothing more than a PR stunt... a tiny fraction of the money that benefited just a very small handful of people... and the right wing sucked it up as if it was meaningful.....

...which it was not.

Hint: they are NOT working for the benefit of the nation as a whole.... they are working for THEIR constituency.... no, not the older white people who voted for Trump, but the robber barons who support them.
    It is certainly considerably more than what we received from the past administration. Our taxes actually went up so if we think these actions bring us back to pre-Obama age it most certainly is a start in the right direction. Those 1% got hit the most and now have some relief and sending it down which is the best positive response we have seen in years. Not much to the folks here who have money and think negatively on the tax breaks but means a whole lot to us who struggle everyday to make a living.

Bought and sold? That is my money they are taking, it is more like less taking away than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    30 years ago my income was near the median. I was given a $1000 bonus. Everyone else got a raise. I quit a short time later.

I think you are right, this is why I will wait and see what the yearly bonus and wage increase is in February.

The last couple of years we only received minor cost of living adjustments that didn't really keep up with increased healthcare and other day to day expenses. In the mean time the company has been reporting large increasing profits. They have been buying back stock.

So, let me see what happens before I start to celebrate!
    Skip

We had layoffs in our department at the beginning of December and then $1000 bonus at the end of December.
    Skip

Delta Air Lines, under their established profit sharing program will pay out more than the 1,0000 tax bonuses of something like 4 other airlines combined. The 1,000 bonus people are getting is a pittance in the grnd scheme. Companies could be sharing a whole lot more and the economy could really be moving along. How can Delta do that but others cannot? There is a reason it is now listed as one of the top 100 companies to work for. Profit sharing has paid 10% +annual earnings(was 20% one year) for three years! and will again this year.

Corporate America could do much better and we would all see rewards.

http://fortune.com/2017/03/10/delta-...ompanies-list/
    Last edited by Tom Wilkinson; 01-12-2018 at 10:34 AM.
    Tom

Our taxes actually went up so if we think these actions bring us back to pre-Obama age it most certainly is a start in the right direction.
    Wouldn't it be the more appropriate thing to address things like our deficit, related interest payments and appropriately funding programs such as social security from an attitude of fiscal responsibility, instead of kicking the can down the road and blaming the other side?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Those 1% got hit the most and now have some relief and sending it down which is the best positive response we have seen in years.
    What?

WTF?

We're supposed to be sympathetic for the 1%?

How many of the 1% are food insecure? 25% of the children in this country are. How many of the 1% wonder if they can pay the mortgage next month? How many of them have to go without health care, because they can't afford the premiums? How many of the 1% can't afford to send their children to college?

The past 9 years have been a bountiful waterfall for the 1%, who have never had it better.... they were wealthy before, and they are far more wealthy now. Meanwhile, that $1000 bonus, while certainly helpful and significant to many, makes no REAL change to their economic circumstances.... it's a one-shot deal, and when it's gone, they're in the same place they were before.

Tell me again: who needed a tax break... the 1%? Or the 99%?

Look... it's a political meme which is well over 100 years old, and 100 years ago, the robber barons weren't shy about saying it aloud... they believed in a certain political principle: that the welfare of the common people was dependent on the wealth and power of the rich. We've called it different things, over the years... perhaps 'trickle down' is the most permanent name for it...

...do YOU believe it?

- FDR
    -William A. Ward

^ Communist
    Skip

^ Communist

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Approval rating when he left office: 70 percent
    Percentage point difference between beginning and end of term(s): +9
    Average approval rating: 64 percent
    Not only did FDR leave office with the highest approval rating out of any of the thirteen presidents on record, but he's also one of the only two presidents to leave office with more popularity than when he left.
    -William A. Ward

^ Communist
    forsooth
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Excuse me, but what the hell are these alleged $1000 bonuses? How many people actually got them? This does not pass the smell test.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

How about I flip the script how would you feel about PAYING an extra $1,000. With that every man woman and child in America would have Universal Health Care, would you?

I would

As for an extra $1000 yea I could use it but it won't change much.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Excuse me, but what the hell are these alleged $1000 bonuses? How many people actually got them? This does not pass the smell test.
    These companies:

Company Bonus No. of employees getting bonus
    AT&T $1,000 200,000
    Alaska Airlines $1,000 19,000
    American Airlines $1,000 130,000
    Bank of America $1,000 145,000
    BB&T $1,200 27,000
    Comcast $1,000 100,000
    Fifth Third Bank $1,000 13,500
    JetBlue $1,000 21,000
    Nationwide $1,000 29,000
    PNC Financial $1,000 47,500
    Sinclair Broadcast $1,000 9,000
    Southwest Airlines $1,000 55,000
    Travelers $1,000 14,000
    U.S. Bancorp $1,000 60,000
    Walmart up to $1,000 n/a
    Skip

These companies:

Company Bonus No. of employees getting bonus
    AT&T $1,000 200,000
    Alaska Airlines $1,000 19,000
    American Airlines $1,000 130,000
    Bank of America $1,000 145,000
    BB&T $1,200 27,000
    Comcast $1,000 100,000
    Fifth Third Bank $1,000 13,500
    JetBlue $1,000 21,000
    Nationwide $1,000 29,000
    PNC Financial $1,000 47,500
    Sinclair Broadcast $1,000 9,000
    Southwest Airlines $1,000 55,000
    Travelers $1,000 14,000
    U.S. Bancorp $1,000 60,000
    Walmart up to $1,000 n/a
    Compare and contrast to how much each company is getting, in terms of the tax cut.... how many employees these companies have laid off... and how much of that tax cut will benefit the stockholders and executives, in terms of stock buybacks and dividend increases.

Americans apparently are pretty cheap, to buy.

Compare and contrast to how much each company is getting, in terms of the tax cut.... how many employees these companies have laid off... and how much of that tax cut will benefit the stockholders and executives, in terms of stock buybacks and dividend increases.

Certainly more so than they were in the 70's and 80's with stagnant wages.
    -William A. Ward

Ah yeah, have you noticed the organism occupying the Oval Office?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Delta Air Lines, under their established profit sharing program will pay out more than the 1,0000 tax bonuses of something like 4 other airlines combined. The 1,000 bonus people are getting is a pittance in the grnd scheme. Companies could be sharing a whole lot more and the economy could really be moving along. How can Delta do that but others cannot? There is a reason it is now listed as one of the top 100 companies to work for. Profit sharing has paid 10% +annual earnings(was 20% one year) for three years! and will again this year.

Corporate America could do much better and we would all see rewards.

http://fortune.com/2017/03/10/delta-...ompanies-list/
    Yep, +1

It's a meaningless sum. A red herring. A shiny object. A slight of hand, a crumb. BofA just gave out $145,000,000. They have a market cap of $322,000,000,000 and an enterprise value of $282,000,000,000. The bonus they just gave out is a rounding error for them. And that's the biggest one on the list.

I had a sociology professor in school who reminded us that it was possible to purchase the loyalty of a worker in most industrialized nations for the price of a small motor bike. Now they've driven it down to the price of an annual service on that motor bike.

Now it seems some people can have their heads turned for a month's worth of happy meals for the family.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    It's a meaningless sum. A red herring. A shiny object. A slight of hand, a crumb. BofA just gave out $145,000,000. They have a market cap of $322,000,000,000 and an enterprise value of $282,000,000,000. The bonus they just gave out is a rounding error for them. And that's the biggest one on the list.

I had a sociology professor in school who reminded us that it was possible to purchase the loyalty of a worker in most industrialized nations for the price of a small motor bike. Now they've driven it down to the price of an annual service on that motor bike.

Now it seems some people can have their heads turned for a month's worth of happy meals for the family.
    +1

..and all those Trump supporters got bought and sold, never noticing the penetrating object behind them.