Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 67

Thread: An unending source of bile and vitriol

Default Re: An unending source of bile and vitriol

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post

Watt?
    Youíre like me. Youíre not one of the big kids, so they donít expect much. Start being all smarty-sensible-fancy wording, making some astute and pointed observations that seem to contradict themselves, and the People will react.

You need to up your game, is what heís saying.

I do like the schtick, though, bobbys. Itís not my cup of tea, but youíre consistent, and persistent, Iíll give you those.

Now, go get your chores done, before you get in trouble.

Peace,
    Robert

Watt?
    As in, "bright as a?"

Right around 5 in my estimation. Though an upgrade is still possible if you work hard at it.

Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    As in, "bright as a?" ...
    He was probably referring to James Watt - no, not the steam engine guy, but Reagan's anti-environment secretary of the interior.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    He was probably referring to James Watt - no, not the steam engine guy, but Reagan's anti-environment secretary of the interior.
    Bait.
    I was hoping he was going to call me rude. . .
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Bait.
    I was hoping he was going to call me rude. . .
    I knew that, but couldn't resist an attack on St. Reagan.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Watt?

Some people may have a formal education but are mean spirited while some may possibly have good intentions but are very poorly informed. Others of course may even have different issues, but here we're discussing what makes a person rise to the top of the least admired list in any given community. I say it's the people who should know better but don't seem to have gained anything from their privileged positions. That type of person is the hardest to respect because they know precisely what the outcome of their distortions will yield. They didn't just make mistakes, they made willful choices.

Take an educated doctor who performs dangerous experiments on human beings without their consent. One expects brutish behavior from brutes, but we expect ethical behavior from people who, like doctors, have been educated in ethics. It's that failure to meet expectations and act like a human being that is most disappointing when uncovered in a person who has been trained to be thoughtful and logical.

No matter how poorly informed one may be on any given issue or alternately, how off the mark, this forum will never elevate a person at an intellectual disadvantage to the position of most disrespected poster on the board. The less informed person usually isn't venal enough to take all that seriously. Maybe it's because people think the ill informed person may mean well, even if it doesn't come across that way when they're discussing topics outside their areas of prime ability.

Are you familiar with the Tuskegee Experiments? If not, you should be as it helps inform this topic. Who is to be most disrespected in light of what happened there? The ill informed worker bees who did the footwork or the doctors who designed and ran the program?

Think about it and get back to me if you're still confused.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 01-14-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.