Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walmart abruptly closes several Sam's Club stores, lays off thousands

Default Re: Walmart abruptly closes several Sam's Club stores, lays off thousands

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Donn doesn't seem a white russian kinda guy to me. . .
    He's more of a, "weed and wine to mellow out your mind" kinda guy.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Default Re: Walmart abruptly closes several Sam's Club stores, lays off thousands

you guys want Walmart to close down then gripe at them for doing it... typical
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

I notice a lot of B&M shops closing due to internet shopping. Walmart is heading that way............looking a lot like Amazon. I just wish they would get rid of the neighborhood shops those suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Domesticated_Mr. Know It All View Post
    He's more of a, "weed and wine to mellow out your mind" kinda guy.
    No more wine, and weed will have to be ingested, since I don't smoke any more. Weed is only legal for medicinal use in NY so far. I haven't checked with the Doc to see if I can qualify.

I picked that GIF for the puzzled look on his face, considering a couple of mindless posts preceding it.

Oh come on. . . that Jade Helm crack was pure gold!
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    Read that was for full time employees. So, what (minuscule) percentage of Wally World employees are full time?
    Good point...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

The majority of Walmart's employees are full time (34 hours per week by their definition). Just last year they converted 150K US employees (10% of the US workforce) from part time to full time. In the past 4 years, Walmart has gone from federal minimum wage($7.25) to $11.00/per hour minimum starting wage. Their latest effort also includes bonuses ranging from $200 to $1000 for all hourly employees. The size of the bonus depends on time served. They also extended the amount of paid and unpaid maternity leave, added comparable paternity leave, and added $5000 assistance for workers adopting children.

These moves will never be enough for the likes of Nancy Pelosi, who considers a $1000 bonus to be "crumbs" for a low-wage worker, but there is no denying the largest private employer in the nation is moving in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    ... but there is no denying the largest private employer in the nation is moving in the right direction.
    Hmmm....

Walmart Stores, the world’s largest retailer and the nation’s largest private employer, said on Tuesday that it would terminate health insurance coverage for about 30,000 part-time workers, joining a string of retailers that have rolled back benefits in response to the Affordable Care Act.
    https://www.healthcare-now.org/blog/...ime-employees/

The right direction? I wonder how much they'll save by doing this, in comparison to how much they'll spend on the crumbs.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Old news, Norman. October 2014.

We're supposed to pity Walmart? Not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    We're supposed to pity Walmart? Not likely.
    How about sympathy for the employees that have lost their jobs?
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    The majority of Walmart's employees are full time (34 hours per week by their definition).

These moves will never be enough for the likes of Nancy Pelosi, who considers a $1000 bonus to be "crumbs" for a low-wage worker, but there is no denying the largest private employer in the nation is moving in the right direction.
    The $1000 is for those who have worked 20 years - about 1000 weeks.

But I do agree that Walmart has moved in a better direction.
    Life is complex.