Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walmart abruptly closes several Sam's Club stores, lays off thousands

Default Walmart abruptly closes several Sam's Club stores, lays off thousands

Amazon strikes again?

Walmart is suddenly closing several Sam's Club stores across the U.S. without explanation.

Closures were reported by local media in Texas, New York, New Jersey, Indiana, Arizona Alaska, and elsewhere.
    In some cases, employees were not informed of the closures prior to showing up to work on Thursday.
    Instead, they learned that their store would be closing when they found the store's doors locked and a notice announcing the closure, according to reports.

Walmart and Sam's Club did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
    Jessica Buckner, an employee of a Sam's Club store in Alaska, told KTVA that all Sam's Club stores in the state are closing as part of a larger downsizing across the U.S.

"From what I heard, there's over 260 stores that have been closed down," Buckner told the station.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Default Re: Walmart abruptly closes several Sam's Club stores, lays off thousands

Not sure you can attribute this to Amazon. The discount clubs do a big business in perishable foodstuffs, as well as large and heavy items like soda, paper goods, etc., which few people buy online.

In contrast, Costco continues to do well. It's been said that Costco pays it's employees much more, and treats them very well.... who knows, but maybe that is part of their success.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Default Re: Walmart abruptly closes several Sam's Club stores, lays off thousands

AMZN is approaching $1275.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Well, yannow, those tax cuts are going to create jobs and result in pay increases.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

No notice. Doors locked. Classy bunch.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    No notice. Doors locked. Classy bunch.
    Well, they DO sell guns.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Not sure you can attribute this to Amazon. The discount clubs do a big business in perishable foodstuffs, as well as large and heavy items like soda, paper goods, etc., which few people buy online.
    I believe your assumption is incorrect - from a December article about a Prime Now fulfillment center in Milwaukee
    Gray metal shelving, seven tiers high with yellow plastic dividers separating individual cubbyholes, fills much of the hub. Several “high velocity pallets” near the front are stacked with such frequently ordered items as Brawny paper towels, Charmin toilet paper and Aquafina bottled water.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ion/979716001/
    bananas are the most frequently ordered item in most citys per it.

retails changing, fast. 10% of Sam's Clubs is just a start https://www.wsj.com/articles/wal-mar...res-1515704486

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Well, yannow, those tax cuts are going to create jobs and result in pay increases.
    Well... I was surprised to hear on NPR today that Walmart is raising their starting wage to $11/hour & giving out a bunch of one time bonuses.

Here's a CNN link: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/11/walm...-tax-bill.html
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Well... I was surprised to hear on NPR today that Walmart is raising their starting wage to $11/hour & giving out a bunch of one time bonuses.

They're one of the few. Most are distributing any largesse from the tax cuts as a "bonus" to avoid upping base pay.
    -William A. Ward

they've been bludgeoning their competition by raising wages for a couple years now. First one was back in 2015 - https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/20/b...9-dollars.html - the stock market, typically, punished them for it at the time. But WalMart was right.

We were Sam's club members for a few years, probably until about 15 years ago. Never liked it. Started shopping at Costco a few years back, a much better store IMO

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Preparations for Jade Helm 16.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    Aha! That is the inner Donn!

Donn doesn't seem a white russian kinda guy to me. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Donn stopped drinking alcoholic beverages 10 months ago.

Gotta pay for that somehow.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

oh hell. That’s not easy. Don’t recall you speaking in the third person before.

That's what the wagon will do to ya.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Good going, Donn - a big thumbs up to you, Sir

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    That's what the wagon will do to ya.
    George thinks you’re right!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

This aggression won't stand, man!
    -William A. Ward

I hope that was by choice and not the doctor's orders.

You certainly seem more chilled out.

I hope life is treating you well!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

Well done. Very well done.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Walmart abruptly closes several Sam's Club stores, lays off thousands

and raises wages company wide...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    Walmart abruptly closes several Sam's Club stores, lays off thousands

and raises wages company wide...
    It's kinda odd, don't you think? Give with one hand take away with the other!

I wish all those that lost there job the best. We had a layoff of 11 folks in my department right before Christmas. It's a though thing most of the folks had been with the company many years.
    Skip

the Sam's near here did not close, I find that surprising considering they just opened one of those brand new super Walmarts almost next door a couple of months ago.

About the time you disappeared from the WBF

Welcome back
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Nice. Twenty-five years from now I can announce I've sobered up, and get a nice attaboy from folks in the bilge.

So I've got that going for me.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Nice. Twenty-five years from now I can announce I've sobered up, and get a nice attaboy from folks in the bilge.

So I've got that going for me.
    Only if you figure you need to.

I'm still drinking the stuff, but alcohol isn't the particular way I'm made to break.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I'll do whatever I have to do to get on the transplant list.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    I'll do whatever I have to do to get on the transplant list.
    Hmm. No ambivalence?

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Hmm. No ambivalence?
    That was yesterday.

Originally Posted by Garret

Read that was for full time employees. So, what (minuscule) percentage of Wally World employees are full time?