Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 36 to 67 of 67

Thread: Week at the gym.

  1. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    14,582

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Not in mine. Don’t disparage women around me.

    Peace,
    Robert
    I guess its fair to say that if my speech therapist had been a guy I'd have hated him too, but my starting point wouldn't have been a sexual fantasy.

  2. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    13,270

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I guess its fair to say that if my speech therapist had been a guy I'd have hated him too, but my starting point wouldn't have been a sexual fantasy.
    I have problems with hating the agonyies a therapist represents. Theyíre all brutal. Well, the good ones.

    Peace,
    Robert

  3. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    28,059

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    maybe there's still room in life for the occasional sexist racist mysoginistic belittling bit of humour. Just maybe.
    I think not, Phil Especially when it's aimed at a woman whose job it was to help you recover. I suppose you would have hated her a lot less if she'd just let you choke to death Wouldn't it have made more sense to hate the health problem than the health professional? Just asking. Was she a horrible person? I think if I were being helped by a horrible person I would be somewhat conflicted. Hope you're OK now, btw.
    Last edited by JimD; 01-11-2018 at 07:29 PM.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  4. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Camden, Maine
    Posts
    3,646

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Would it be worth going back and see where you guys were during the Palin bashing??? Nah, probably not.

    Keep up the good work though!

  5. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    13,270

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by delecta View Post
    Would it be worth going back and see where you guys were during the Palin bashing??? Nah, probably not.

    Keep up the good work though!
    Well, I wasnít here, but youíre free to go see me give David G guff for a gross meme he reposted about the First Lady. Itís on one of the numerous Trump threads.


    Peace,
    Robert

  6. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    28,059

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by delecta View Post
    Would it be worth going back and see where you guys were during the Palin bashing??? Nah, probably not.
    You're not suggesting that Phil's therapist was grossly unqualified for her job, are you? (But you did prompt me to edit my last post so it didn't sound quite so nasty)
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  7. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    10,218

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    I love you Rob.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

    ~seanz

  8. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    20,202

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Oh, this is a 'story'.

    I thought it were autobiographical.

    Tough crowd here today eh BS?

    A story with a compliment fron Donn, now that is tough to beat...


    Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    Well-Wrote, Bobbys! It is an oldie, but definitely a goodie. I especially like the tooth-brushing visual.

  9. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    14,582

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I think not, Phil Especially when it's aimed at a woman whose job it was to help you recover. I suppose you would have hated her a lot less if she'd just let you choke to death Wouldn't it have made more sense to hate the health problem than the health professional? Just asking. Was she a horrible person? I think if I were being helped by a horrible person I would be somewhat conflicted. Hope you're OK now, btw.
    I didn't really hate her of course. I respected her as a dedicated professional doing a really tough job. And that's kind of the point of the OP joke, and my story. We start out with a pretty woman who is percieved as nothing more than a sex object. We then see that she's way more than that. In the case of the OP she's a tough as nuts athlete who can work the old man into the ground without raising a sweat. In my case she turns out to be a total professional who knew exactly what was needed to get me well and she was able to push me through the difficult bits.

    Anyone who doesn't get that just isn't really thinking.

  10. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    13,270

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    I love you Rob.
    Reciprocated with gusto.

    Peace,
    Robert

  11. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Camden, Maine
    Posts
    3,646

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    That didn't take long to replace David

  12. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    As it happens, I've met a "younger lady" just recovering from a compound femur fracture, compounded by a bleeding ulcer. Brought her to hospital Sunday (against her wishes) now recovering nicely, thank you. Probably be home Saturday if things go as well as we all think. She has left an abusive relationship, and I told her (before the hospital incident) I would treat her as I feel a woman SHOULD be treated. So far she has treated me to both her company and her own brand of pulled pork, with a promise of roast beast. Recon I'm doin' sumpthin right.

    Bottom line, Rob, you have it exactly right, be nice to the wimmins, they be nice to you.

    Dumah
    Duct tape can't fix stupid but it will muffle the sound

  13. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    NWly shores of Lake Whitehall, MA
    Posts
    6,865

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Been there. Got the Tee shirt. Four months in traction, two weeks in a coma. Every bone in my right leg broken. Tibia and fibula in my left. One in two places... Those PT women were TOUGH... The first one strapped me into a gurney and cranked me up vertical and said I'd pass out. Fooled her. The last one had to qualify me on stairs after I'd been on my 'feet' only a coupler-three days. Stairs look mighty steep when you've not seen stairs for months, and been on your feet only a few days. No use of bannister, either. This little slip of a thing is several steps down from me, daring me to fall down the flight. I manage a couple without falling, and then she tells me, "Oh, did I tell you I'm pregnant?" Anything to raise my stress level. Fooled her, too. She had to let me go home. No more $ for the hospital.

    They were, and are, a tough crew. BobbyS, I shared your story with a woman who's done PT on my Mum, on my dear wife, and yes, on me. Of course I did manage to put one over on her - she ran a 'spinning class' one winter. All the normal participants brought in 'trainers' to use with their bikes. I scared'em all when I carried in my rollers... Her eyes popped out, I'm telling you, and the others all moved away. Oh, but your story, I almost forgot. I read it to her. She thought it hilarious. I thought you should know.
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

    MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

    As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

    International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

  14. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    28,059

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post

    ...I didn't really hate her of course. I respected her as a dedicated professional doing a really tough job. Anyone who doesn't get that just isn't really thinking.
    Words is words. I get what you said, not what you actually thought but didn't say, which was more or less the opposite of what you said. Even irony has its limits. Not being a mind reader doesn't mean I'm not really thinking.
    Last edited by JimD; 01-12-2018 at 09:41 AM.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  15. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    14,582

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    You sound like my wife!

  16. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    14,582

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Which is my way of saying you are right of course, I was being foolish and obtuse. Please forgive me and I'll love you forever.

  17. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    28,059

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    You sound like my wife!
    I'm that bad, eh?
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  18. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    28,059

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Which is my way of saying you are right of course, I was being foolish and obtuse. Please forgive me and I'll love you forever.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  19. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northwest Oregon coast
    Posts
    26,331

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Oh, you didnít offend me, you simply insulted every woman ever born. I would advise you to not use that word around the women in my family. They are accustomed to being treated like human beings, not animals.

    Racist and sexist jokes arenít funny. Hurtful, derogatory, slur based humor isnít funny. Blaming other people for personal shortcomings is not funny.

    To me. But Iím not known for my sense of humor.

    Peace,
    Robert
    .

    The more i dwell on yer comments the more i see yer point of view as being correct.

    In fact i shall use this everytime a women is disrespected here.

  20. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    14,582

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    It actually think, with genuine respect, that Rob is wrong in this case. Maybe because of his self professed absence of a sense of humour. The point of the joke in the OP is that it diminishes the man, not the woman. It is the man who exposes himself as an unfit sexist macho fool. Maybe it makes more sense in Australia where self deprecating humour is well understood.

  21. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    28,059

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    It actually think, with genuine respect, that Rob is wrong in this case. Maybe because of his self professed absence of a sense of humour. The point of the joke in the OP is that it diminishes the man, not the woman. It is the man who exposes himself as an unfit sexist macho fool. Maybe it makes more sense in Australia where self deprecating humour is well understood.
    Suppose instead of the OP joke being sexist it had been racist, using the 'N' word and other racially derogatory turns of phrase? Would that be an appropriate way of diminishing the (white) man and not the black? My point, and I assume it to be similar to Rob's, is that it just isn't funny in the 21 Century. It becomes merely an excuse to use degrading language. So better to just not use it. Find some other way to be funny and self depreciating. Be clever instead of crude.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  22. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    13,270

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    It actually think, with genuine respect, that Rob is wrong in this case. Maybe because of his self professed absence of a sense of humour. The point of the joke in the OP is that it diminishes the man, not the woman. It is the man who exposes himself as an unfit sexist macho fool. Maybe it makes more sense in Australia where self deprecating humour is well understood.
    I am not wrong. Calling a woman a b#$+@ is wrong. Period.

    The joke is dumb. Formulaic, not really surprising, and not funny, to me. But, the joke is not what I objected to, rather I objected to calling the trainer and his wife nasty slurs.

    As to self deprecating humor, you must be right, there. I obviously donít suss that, eh?

    Peace,
    Emperor For Life

  23. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    24,330

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    It actually think, with genuine respect, that Rob is wrong in this case. Maybe because of his self professed absence of a sense of humour. The point of the joke in the OP is that it diminishes the man, not the woman. It is the man who exposes himself as an unfit sexist macho fool. Maybe it makes more sense in Australia where self deprecating humour is well understood.
    Rob has a fantastic sense of humor, but like most people, he has a thing or 2 that he doesn't find funny. For example, I don't find racist jokes funny.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  24. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    13,270

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Suppose instead of the OP joke being sexist it had been racist, using the 'N' word and other racially derogatory turns of phrase? Would that be an appropriate way of diminishing the (white) man and not the black? My point, and I assume it to be similar to Rob's, is that it just isn't funny in the 21 Century. It becomes merely an excuse to use degrading language. So better to just not use it. Find some other way to be funny and self depreciating. Be clever instead of crude.
    Yes. The slurs were what got me. It wasn’t even the macho attitude. That part IS funny. The slurs weren’t needed, nor funny, though.

    Peace,
    Robert
    Last edited by amish rob; 01-12-2018 at 05:49 PM.

  25. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    24,330

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I am not wrong. Calling a woman a b#$+@ is wrong. Period.

    The joke is dumb. Formulaic, not really surprising, and not funny, to me. But, the joke is not what I objected to, rather I objected to calling the trainer and his wife nasty slurs.

    As to self deprecating humor, you must be right, there. I obviously don’t suss that, eh?

    Peace,
    Emperor For Life
    I susspect you get it just fine...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  26. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    13,270

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Rob has a fantastic sense of humor, but like most people, he has a thing or 2 that he doesn't find funny. For example, I don't find racist jokes funny.
    Oh, thank you. And, you are correct. I donít like slurs. Theyíre gross. They hurt.

    I do, however, like to joke about what an idiot I am, and how much I just do not get life. I am about half as intelligent and situationally aware as Mr. Magoo.
    On a good day.

    Peace,
    Robert

  27. #62
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    24,330

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    ...I do, however, like to joke about what an idiot I am, and how much I just do not get life. I am about half as intelligent and situationally aware as Mr. Magoo.
    On a good day.

    Peace,
    Robert
    I see.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  28. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    13,270

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I see.
    Why? How?

    Why must you ALWAYS beat me at my own game? What planet are you from? Are you a bunch of people? A computer?
    How can you do this? All the time?

    You always make me laugh!

    Peace,
    Humbly Bowing Before Your Wit And Humor

  29. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    24,330

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Why? How?

    Why must you ALWAYS beat me at my own game? What planet are you from? Are you a bunch of people? A computer?
    How can you do this? All the time?

    You always make me laugh!

    Peace,
    Humbly Bowing Before Your Wit And Humor
    Dunno (much about history or biology - but I digress) - somehow you seem to play a a straight man to my sick sense of humor quite well. However, you've topped my puns many times.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  30. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    13,270

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Dunno (much about history or biology - but I digress) - somehow you seem to play a a straight man to my sick sense of humor quite well. However, you've topped my puns many times.
    Haha. Good thing we are separated by so much planet, or we might take over the world. Or destroy it.

    Peace,
    Goodnight, Gracie

  31. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    28,059

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    ... we might take over the world. Or destroy it.

    Peace,
    Goodnight, Gracie
    You've got some stiff competition there.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  32. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: Week at the gym.

    SWMBO and I were talking about this and we realised that we have the same opinion in that the most important life lesson was to laugh at ourselves. Based on this premise, I expect we will NEVER run out of material.

    Dumah
    Duct tape can't fix stupid but it will muffle the sound

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •