Thread: How's your dock fairing this winter ?

Default How's your dock fairing this winter ?

So far OK but not like the winter 2015.

That's my slip. now. right in the middle (NE)away from the 13:00 sun.
    Dock 01.10.18 pg.jpg

Back in 2015

Dock damage 1..jpg

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Default Re: How's your dock fairing this winter ?

Putting the pilings in the opposite of how trees grow, narrower end down, is not actually easier to drive but does leave a great attachment for ice at low tide that then cannot shed. It's not too common to lift the pilings all the way out if the tide range is three feet or so. At nine feet of tide, the pilings often look like the remains of a game of jacks sticks by spring thaw. If you're really faced with ice and tide, before installing a piling (correctly, fat end down) staple on some thick smooth rubber sheeting.

So, Jack, does this mean you’re staying put for next season? I was kinda looking forward to seeing you in the next river to the East.

In Southern California one has to beware of the flying swarms of termites during hot weather!
    Jay

Ian is right most marina's drive the piles backwards with sad results when the ice ( elevator) comes . Below is a pic I took back in 1976 a severe winter in the NE.
    The marina was in Stamford CT.

Not shown are dozens of piles lying on the ice .

JD

Ice damage winter 76.jpg
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Even driven correctly, if the pier's pilings and other mooring pilings are in a current area, the lateral ice movement can pull out or break the pilings.

Ian and others tied up to docks in ice conditions, do you use underwater systems to keep the immediate area free of ice?

That is my dock as of five minutes ago. And some views off to the South. Note the smoke coming off the bay ice on this warm day ( 45f)

Below are two other docks my partners and I use to go to and from the duck blinds. Normally we would make sure to use these boats every day in order to keep a path open to open water, but this year there is no open water( what you see in the back ground is just a small random patch) plus one of our buddies took very ill a few weeks back.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by schoonerjay View Post
    Ian and others tied up to docks in ice conditions, do you use underwater systems to keep the immediate area free of ice?

We usually just make a point go use the boats. While damage from the vertical rise and fall of the ice on the tide can be ameliorated by an ice eater or bubbler, real damage occurs when the ice starts to break up and move. Then floes , or the whole sheet, can just take everything.

It is supposed to be windy tomorrow and 55F

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I can't contemplate going outside in those sorts of conditions. We get maybe 3 or 4 light frosts a year.

I don't worry about the ice itself. It's ice movement. The boat yard has put out a circulator at one end of the float Meg is moored to as a way to put some water between that float (and Meg) and the ice. Just to keep the pressure off.

They put it out a day late and one of the cleats on the float was torn off. Not a big deal.

Here we have today's surface melt glistening. If you look closely you'll see Meg's port bowline is totally slack. It leads to a stand-off mooring hard on frame right. The buoy for that mooring is under the ice. There's a small white buoy part way out you can see. There's also a line from that mooring to a port after cleat on Meg. Also slack. You can also see its small white half-way buoy. The halfway buoys are ust to warn any boaters.

Anyway, the slack. I think the ice moved shoreward pulling the mooring with it. Thing must be at least a fathom closer than it was before the freeze. Glad Meg is well fended and just pushing on the float did no harm. We'll know for sure what happened once things thaw.

The circulator is under the float face by Meg's bow.

Looking at these photos leads me to think two things:
    1. I'm glad to be not living in Alaska anymore. I do not miss winter there!

2. You guys in the NE ought to follow Wizbang south for the winter.

Jeff

I keep claiming that the plan with Meg is to snowbird it. Push north maybe to the Labradore in summers and after hurrican season go south from Cape Cod down to the Carolinas. Maybe once into Florida. But I really love the Cape in the winter. The bleak. The challenge just coming up soon of February and March. The bleak cause of New Englant transcendentalism. My belief that if I don't kill myself before mud season I'm good for another year. Hard to beat it. Snowbirding is for wimps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    I keep claiming that the plan with Meg is to snowbird it. Push north maybe to the Labradore in summers and after hurrican season go south from Cape Cod down to the Carolinas. Maybe once into Florida. But I really love the Cape in the winter. The bleak. The challenge just coming up soon of February and March. The bleak cause of New Englant transcendentalism. My belief that if I don't kill myself before mud season I'm good for another year. Hard to beat it. Snowbirding is for wimps.

Party-on, Ian!

Jeff

I like visiting the Cape on nice days in winter. There is something cool about winter there.

No dock in this one, but even the Cape Cod Canal is getting iced up; and early this year too...

And today was completed thaw. All ice gone from the Mill Pond. Bilges melted except directly under the engines where all that iron holds the cold. A balmy near fifty.

Wow... is that what the other side of the world looks like. I am right this minute living through a typical stinking hot Australian bush summer in my shed over 100km from the ocean. Can't wait to finish building this boat so I can sail over your way for a cool change. All those icy pictures look pretty inviting from my perspective.