Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 89

Thread: your personal protection

Default Re: your personal protection

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Sorry and we thank you. In truth, I mean northern New England in general.
    I get that - just had to give you some grief...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

And then there's the work that's been done on how having a gun in the home increases your danger of injury/death. Here's one example --

https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/160/10/929/140858

Abstract

Data from a US mortality follow-back survey were analyzed to determine whether having a firearm in the home increases the risk of a violent death in the home and whether risk varies by storage practice, type of gun, or number of guns in the home. Those persons with guns in the home were at greater risk than those without guns in the home of dying from a homicide in the home (adjusted odds ratio = 1.9, 95% confidence interval: 1.1, 3.4). They were also at greater risk of dying from a firearm homicide, but risk varied by age and whether the person was living with others at the time of death. The risk of dying from a suicide in the home was greater for males in homes with guns than for males without guns in the home (adjusted odds ratio = 10.4, 95% confidence interval: 5.8, 18.9). Persons with guns in the home were also more likely to have died from suicide committed with a firearm than from one committed by using a different method (adjusted odds ratio = 31.1, 95% confidence interval: 19.5, 49.6). Results show that regardless of storage practice, type of gun, or number of firearms in the home, having a gun in the home was associated with an increased risk of firearm homicide and firearm suicide in the home.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I get that - just had to give you some grief...
    Is the acid rain having an effect on the maple trees? I know that climate change is projected to destroy the trees, but I think I heard the maple industry is directly effected by the air pollution already.

Is the acid rain having an effect on the maple trees? I know that climate change is projected to destroy the trees, but I think I heard the maple industry is directly effected by the air pollution already.
    I haven't heard it will destroy them - just that in another 50-100 years we'll have a climate similar to the mid-atlantic states, which will mean no sugaring season to speak of.

Acid rain is much better than it was. In the 70's roughly 3/4 of the lakes in northern NY were sterile due to acidification & red pines on mountains here died off because the ground fog got so acid. In the late 70's measurements on Camels Hump (2nd highest in VT) showed the ground fog as more acid than a dill pickle. Into the early 80's there was a red band around it from all the dead trees. Nowadays, trees are in pretty good health & most of the lakes have recovered.

Good thing we're rolling back all that stupid EPA crap, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Good thing we're rolling back all that stupid EPA crap, eh?
    Job killers. Just in the nick of time.

Which reminds me, the Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia may go under water around the same time, but land on the hills above is still quite affordable. The AV always reminds me of Vermont with Maine on the eastern side of the peninsula and Scotland on the island to the north. Maybe it's time to buy land when Trump gets reelected?

Dale won't like it. I don't think their gun laws are to his liking.

He could own it, but he couldn't carry it around on his person.
    Use it on your own property, if appropriately located.
    Take it to and from the range for use there.
    Nosce te ipsum

Job killers. Just in the nick of time.

Which reminds me, the Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia may go under water around the same time, but land on the hills above is still quite affordable. The AV always reminds me of Vermont with Maine on the eastern side of the peninsula and Scotland on the island to the north. Maybe it's time to buy land when Trump gets reelected?

I've been talking that up, but I keep hearing "Too far from the grandkids"...

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    So...

Phased Lock Loop & Mr. Wright -- did you read the study? Any thoughts to share?

Yeah, I read the report, though there’s plenty I don’t understand. It seems to assume that guns are only used in gunfights, in that anyone not wounded was ignored, and anyone who was wounded is assumed to have failed in self-defense. In my view, the most successful self-defense by a gun owner would be if no one was shot. (Back off!) Another successful scenario would be to disperse the threat, even when shot, by shooting back, without necessarily hitting anyone. I believe most people buy self-defense guns with such scenarios in mind. How realistic such notions are I don’t know, and won’t find out from this study.

Then there’s the authors’ claim:
    ——————————-
    “We assumed that the resident population of Philadelphia risked being shot in an assault at any location and at any time of day or night. This is an acceptable assumption because guns are mobile, potentially concealable items and the bullets they fire can pass through obstacles and travel long distances. Any member of the general population has the potential to be exposed to guns and the bullets they discharge regardless of where they are or what they are doing. As such, we reasonably chose not to exclude participants as immune from hypothetically becoming cases because they were, for instance, asleep at home during the night or at work in an office building during the day.”
    —————————————————
    The “control” group was selected on the basis of this utter balderdash. I’m unsure of the significance of this, but such foolishness doesn’t give me any confidence in their analysis of confounding variables and other such tinkering, little of which I can follow.

Lastly, the insistence by many here that the “numbers show” this or that about individual cases strikes me as akin to aggressive stupidity. Even assuming the study is accurate in all respects, it does not follow that a given person who arms him/herself stands a four-point whatever greater chance of being shot than someone who is weapon-free. The authors’ conclusion states:
    —————————-
    “On average, guns did not protect those who possessed them from being shot in an assault...Such users should rethink their possession of guns or, at least, understand that regular possession necessitates careful safety countermeasures. Suggestions to the contrary, especially for urban residents who may see gun possession as a surefire defense against a dan- gerous environment, should be discussed and thoughtfully reconsidered.”
    ————————
    That’s ON AVERAGE. Something to be considered, sure. That’s a long way from “the numbers tell us.” Even at best, that’s not all there is to it
    Well, Mr. Botard, do you still deny all rhinocerotic evidence?

It doesn’t surprise me that people most fearful of assault are in fact assaulted more frequently than others. It suggests that their fear was well-founded.

My criticism here is of the study. I think most people who have guns for self-defense would be better off without them. I think far far more people have CCW permits now that thirty years ago, and that there are many fewer shootings. I don’t for a second believe that more CCWs are the cause of lower gun crime, but it is (I think, subject to correction) a fact that they haven’t multiplied the shootings 4.x-fold, or anything like it.
    Well, Mr. Botard, do you still deny all rhinocerotic evidence?

I have never read a study that was so incompetent about what statistics mean as to have written that everyone who possesses and/or carries a firearm is individually at higher risk. To assert anything like that is to display massive stupidity about statistics. So far as I have read, only critics of gun safety statistical studies accuse those researchers of such notions.

Not to change the current topic, but with advances in tech is there non-lethal self defense device that is as effective as a firearm? If there was I’d be good with that.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Not to change the current topic, but with advances in tech is there non-lethal self defense device that is as effective as a firearm? If there was I’d be good with that.
    My observation of this thread is that self defense is referring to defense in response to an agressor armed with a gun.

in that case - Yes - there is a demonstrable method - legislate strongly to severely limit ownership of guns.
    But that will never be acceptable in the USA, so carry on watching news reports of strangers violently killing your children (which is evidently preferable in the USA).
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Nutshell Pram Build pictures ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1