Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: your personal protection

Default Re: your personal protection

Quote Originally Posted by Iceboy View Post
    Kimber ultra carry II in 45 caliber. I'll give an honest reply seeing as how most here are inclined to ridicule.
    about as nice a production 1911 as can be had
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Itís mocking I think, not ridicule.

Quote Originally Posted by moTthediesel View Post
    In the minds of the "concealed carry" types, there are no safe places. It must be sad to live life that way.
    3 weeks ago police chased a suspect accused of a shooting. The handcuffed him IN MY DRIVEWAY. 'Nuff said.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

In Scotland we have Concealed Carry-Out, which is usually a half bottle of Scotch in a brown paper bag, although poor people have to make do with Buckfast or cider. Everybody is automatically licenced for concealed and open carry-out as soon as they are 18 years old.
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Bob Adams, with respect: I presume that your post above is given as proof positive that personal protection in the form of handguns is necessary. In that light, I have a couple of questions (again, with respect). Would this incident in your driveway have ended any differently if you had not been armed? Did the incident require your getting your weapon out and preparing to defend yourself? Was the perpetrator attempting to enter your house, or did the police merely catch up to him at your driveway as he fled from someplace else?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Yep, closing in on 7000 rounds without a single hangup or misfire. Replaced springs once at 5500 rounds. I carried a cheap Iver Johnson 22 mag revolver for years while I was traveling for business. I still have it. Carried it on planes in my front pocket before the big scares. It has been to 26 different countries without being seized. I always thought it was cheap enough to toss in the "amnesty barrels" that used to be in airports if I thought it would be an issue. Wouldn't dream of it these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    about as nice a production 1911 as can be had
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

^

Why do you care? With respect of course.

Because I have an interest in the reasons - and efficacy - people feel the need to arm themselves. Why do you feel the need to demand my reasons for asking someone else a couple of questions?

i keep a beretta pico .380 in the car. if i want to take it with me it fits in the pocket easily. for mmd: i keep it in the car for the occasional fired employee threats we have at the office. we've had more "i'll be back up here to kill all of you" type threats from fired plant workers than i can keep track of. sure, they haven't gone through with it yet... but no reason to be sitting here like a moron the day someone does

Frankly I'm pretty tired of everyone else's politics and opinions. Particularly those filled with certitude.

You live in an "interesting" society, AlanMc. We certainly get threats from disgruntled former employees, but usually of the "I'm gonna make you pay" variety. They also carry out these threats about as often as you have experienced murder attempts on your person. Very few threaten lives, and when they do, they get arrested, charged, and often convicted of uttering death threats, which carries significant incarceration upon conviction. Most other western countries do not have the enthusiasm for death threats, and means to carry them out, as the USA seems to have.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    Frankly I'm pretty tired of everyone else's politics and opinions. Particularly those filled with certitude.
    Well, starting today your politics and opinions are mine! Lead on, oh great one!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post

I am completely, absolutely, certain that you're right
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Sorry but I won't I offering any social/political commentary here. Perhaps an occasional comment on behavioral attitudes for the blatant offenders of principled discussion.

well Tom, Paul and others critical of my mouse gun Seacamp. I certainly agree that a Glock 9 or a Colt Python would be the better in a gunfight. BUT I can't carry a hog leg like those around with me. They won't do you much good out there in your truck when a shooter breaks into your church. The Seacamp is as much a part of my dress as the watch on my wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Bob Adams, with respect: I presume that your post above is given as proof positive that personal protection in the form of handguns is necessary. In that light, I have a couple of questions (again, with respect). Would this incident in your driveway have ended any differently if you had not been armed? Did the incident require your getting your weapon out and preparing to defend yourself? Was the perpetrator attempting to enter your house, or did the police merely catch up to him at your driveway as he fled from someplace else?
    He was chased here. He entered a house up the street and shot at the occupant. As most here know, I have had 2 night time intrusions that did require my weapon be deployed. I wish I could get out of this neighborhood.

Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Dale - Have you ever had need? Or is this sorta like being ready for 'the lottery'?

Occassionally you see a story about how some tragedy is averted by an armed citizen - but they seem in the minority compared to tragic, accidental shootings.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Go big or go home.

Looks like he left the safety on. Amatuer...

Carrying a firearm is dangerous. We have the statistics to prove it. And... there are times when the risk makes sense.

If you do your own personal calculations and determine that the risk/reward ratio makes sense, then go ahead and legally carry. But don't take that decision lightly. Because carrying a firearm is dangerous. And, most importantly, it's not just dangerous to the bad guys, or to you, personally. It's also dangerous to your family members. It's dangerous for innocent bystanders. Again, we have enough experience and enough data to know this.

The number of folks who choose to carry without having taken all the factors into consideration is... disturbing, and all too large. For that reason, I'd favor requiring liability insurance coverage for anyone wishing to do so.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Dale R. Hamilton View Post
    They won't do you much good out there in your truck when a shooter breaks into your church.

Adds new meaning to "Onward, Christian Soldiers"!

Pass the bible and the ammunition!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

Thanks for the reply, Bob. Sorry to hear of the incident in your driveway, and glad that it was resolved without further gunplay.

Quote Originally Posted by pkrone View Post
    Looks like he left the safety on. Amatuer...
    Bit of overkill.
    I wouldn’t mind taking a class in self defense using an edged weapon though. Did a bit of it when practicing Aikido. In close quarters it’s more effective than a gun. Back when I took my handgun class I was taught that an attacker within 21 feet of me with a knife would most likely be able to get to me before I could draw and fire.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Bigly sad that people feel so insecure that they need to carry lethal force wherever they go.
    High testosterone levels!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    i keep a beretta pico .380 in the car. if i want to take it with me it fits in the pocket easily. for mmd: i keep it in the car for the occasional fired employee threats we have at the office. we've had more "i'll be back up here to kill all of you" type threats from fired plant workers than i can keep track of. sure, they haven't gone through with it yet... but no reason to be sitting here like a moron the day someone does
    My FIL was shot by a disgruntled employee (that's why I endeavor to keep my employees fully gruntled ) while at work. The man barged into his office and shot him point blank. Paul jumped up from his chair as the guy was aiming, and as a result was hit in the belt buckle rather than the chest, and he survived. If he had been keeping a gun in his desk, or on his person, it would have made no difference. He was an engineer, not an action movie star.

Some folks don't like to see it that way, but we live in a world governed by chance, a pinball game where even the flippers are beyond our control. A rational person would look at the statistics, and know that the gun they carry is much more likely to kill them self, or someone they love, and recognize that as one small thing he can control.

Do what you will, but I will not be governed by fear.

The best reason ever to carry a gun:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/e796793...c-ac529db3337e
    Skip

I think it a bit judgemental to automatically criticize somebodies decision to carry a weapon. We can’t know everybodies circumstances, previous experiences or locales.
    Where I live it certainly isn’t a necessity, but I’ve absolutely been a number of places where were I a resident I’d carry full time.
    I do think anyone that does carry concealed (i am not a fan of open carry) must complete a comprehensive training course whether of not the local laws require it.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Bit of overkill.
    I wouldn’t mind taking a class in self defense using an edged weapon though. Did a bit of it when practicing Aikido. In close quarters it’s more effective than a gun. Back when I took my handgun class I was taught that an attacker within 21 feet of me with a knife would most likely be able to get to me before I could draw and fire.
    https://youtu.be/0rR9IaXH1M0

https://youtu.be/a9UFyNy-rw4
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

The problem, as I see it, with 'appropriate access' is - you generally qualify, while you're a 'gruntled' individual. Then life intervenes, you become 'disgruntled', and the stuff hits the fan. Easy access - it's a problem, and unfortunately, the outcome between a disgruntled vs a gruntled, generally favors the former - the aggressor.

My FIL was shot by a disgruntled employee (that's why I endeavor to keep my employees fully gruntled ) while at work. The man barged into his office and shot him point blank. Paul jumped up from his chair as the guy was aiming, and as a result was hit in the belt buckle rather than the chest, and he survived. If he had been keeping a gun in his desk, or on his person, it would have made no difference. He was an engineer, not an action movie star.

Some folks don't like to see it that way, but we live in a world governed by chance, a pinball game where even the flippers are beyond our control. A rational person would look at the statistics, and know that the gun they carry is much more likely to kill them self, or someone they love, and recognize that as one small thing he can control.

Damn, but that's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    ..I was taught that an attacker within 21 feet of me with a knife would most likely be able to get to me before I could draw and fire.
    I chuckle every time I read this time-worn cliche. It's probably true, if you stand still and wait for the knife-wielder to close the distance...but why would you do that?

i wouldn't be a primary target for any employee to shoot but i'm sitting 20 ft away from the primary target. i would have some time.

The main thing I do for personal protection is to support, and do my bit to pay for, a large and complex system of schools, police, courts, prisons, drug rehab, mental health facilities, and civilization in general. It's far from perfect, but for 62 years it's worked OK for me. I have never once in those 62 years been in a situation where I thought a firearm would be useful for self-defense. Other people's situations and experience may be different.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

i wouldn't be a primary target for any employee to shoot but i'm sitting 20 ft away from the primary target. i would have some time.

Get some of these panels for your office. It would give you enough time to load a flint lock.

Skip

lol
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

For those who question why I carry a gun full time, its because I can't carry a cop.