Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345 LastLast

Thread: Restore Your Britishness

Default Re: Restore Your Britishness

I read somewhere that Tz'kaibloo was an early 16th C Japanese essayist who believed everything he was told by the european missionaries and repeated it without question.
    If you don't believe me Google it.
    off with their heads

I didn't create the thread to discuss pint glass assaults in Britain and so I'm not interested in spending time and energy on "proving" to those disinclined to believe that a broken glass assault issue exists there. If you don't want to believe it, then don't. I've no investment in curing your ignorance.

Anyone sign the Petition yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    I didn't create the thread to discuss pint glass assaults in Britain and so I'm not interested in spending time and energy on "proving" to those disinclined to believe that a broken glass assault issue exists there. If you don't want to believe it, then don't. I've no investment in curing your ignorance.

Anyone sign the Petition yet?
    Uhm. But you bothered to bring the subject up... So...

Astounding.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Pretty predictable when you think about it. The guy's a troll. He wants attention and this is means to that end.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

So assaults with broken beer glasses have increased since the crown standard mark was removed. The only good reason I've ever heard to keep the monarchy.
    off with their heads

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Uhm. But you bothered to bring the subject up... So...

Astounding.
    I didn't bring it up. Even if I had, what part of "I don't care if you believe it or not" don't you understand?

I didn't bring it up. Even if I had, what part of "I don't care if you believe it or not" don't you understand?
    You remind me of Trump. You'll say something and then deny it.

In 2010, it was found that approximately 450 persons per month were slashed with broken pint glasses in Britain.

The problem was particularly acute in Scotland, but no one seems to know why.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    You remind me of Trump. You'll say something and then deny it.
    That post was made in response to someone else's comment about the glasses.

You brought up the subject of the number of incidents and either won't or can't support it.
    -William A. Ward

You keep going in circles. As I said, I don't care if you believe it or not, so I have no investment in being "right."

Prove it is a false assertion if it matters that much to you.

You keep saying you don't care. You keep saying it over and over again. What do you think that means?

LMAO
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

You keep going in circles. As I said, I don't care if you believe it or not, so I have no investment in being "right."

Prove it is a false assertion if it matters that much to you.
    You demand such evidence from others but not yourself.

I didn't make the assertion and have no reason to do your research for you.

If you can't support your own assertions, my opinion of you will be "troll for trolling's sake" and, frankly, I don't need to hear anything from you in future.
    -William A. Ward

Well, I suppose SB has a result of sorts. This tread is now all about SB.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Another laughable series of posts by Ol' Blooie. He's predictable, if nothing else. Bring your friends. Point and laugh. He loves the attention.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Well, I suppose SB has a result of sorts. This tread is now all about SB.
    That's what people wanted. It was intended to be about the crown stamp, pints and pub culture and Brexit.

^ ...and, as usual, you prance in, toss a few sentences of unsubstantiated denigration at the topic, then spend the next two days claiming innocence of any complicity when you are called on to defend your utterances. SSND.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    ^ ...and, as usual, you prance in, toss a few sentences of unsubstantiated denigration at the topic, then spend the next two days claiming innocence of any complicity when you are called on to defend your utterances. SSND.
    Exactly as I expected. A worthy disciple of his Master.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    ................. He wants attention and this is means to that end.
    Yeah but..
    don't we all, a leedle bit, or we wouldn't be posting anything at all in the first place....unless one is a reader, a 'lurker' and never ever posts at all we are all wishing for an appreciation or disaffection of our views, a little bit of ego display, peer approval.....and some here have posts in the tens of thousands.

The other point is don't rise to the bait, don't fan the flames...if someone's opinions aren't your own but you think them to be so misconstrued, there's no point in even replying.
    healthy rhetoric, debate, argumente, sarcasm, info dissemination, fine but don't let it descend into the 'but you said...' 'no I didn't' 'yes you did' 'that wasn't me' yes it was no it wasn't stuff.
    Chuckle and walk away.
    off with their heads

To a point, jonboy. Some, if not called on their twittishness, continue to post inanities incessantly, believing that they are profound... and correct!

If I wanted to do a thread about glass assaults in the UK, wouldn't it be in my character to simply do that? Why would I start out instead with a petition about the crown stamp?

You blokes are funny.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    Yeah but..
    don't we all, a leedle bit, or we wouldn't be posting anything at all in the first place....unless one is a reader, a 'lurker' and never ever posts at all we are all wishing for an appreciation or disaffection of our views, a little bit of ego display, peer approval.....and some here have posts in the tens of thousands.

The other point is don't rise to the bait, don't fan the flames...if someone's opinions aren't your own but you think them to be so misconstrued, there's no point in even replying.
    healthy rhetoric, debate, argumente, sarcasm, info dissemination, fine but don't let it descend into the 'but you said...' 'no I didn't' 'yes you did' 'that wasn't me' yes it was no it wasn't stuff.
    Chuckle and walk away.
    First of all, thanks for quoting my post. As you say, it's very gratifying to get the attention.

That's all.

If I wanted to do a thread about glass assaults in the UK, wouldn't it be in my character to simply do that? Why would I start out instead with a petition about the crown stamp?

You blokes are funny.
    Then why introduce totally unsubstantiated crap about the number of glass assaults in Scotland????

My bad. I actually understated the average number of glass assaults by some 3000 per month. The number in 2009 was actually about 7500. Violent buggers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-assaults.html

In looking into the matter further, there is actually slang terminology for the phenomenon. It is known among young people as "getting glassed."

In looking into the matter further, there is actually slang terminology for the phenomenon. It is known among young people as "getting glassed."
    I have a friend who was slashed in the face with a broken bottle, and another who was shot in the face with a .45 acp.

Bottle Face is still here. He looks kind of cool, actually. Bullet Face is worm food.

Just saying. My anecdotal two cents.

Peace,
    Robert

My bad. I actually understated the average number of glass assaults by some 3000 per month. The number in 2009 was actually about 7500. Violent buggers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-assaults.html
    And this is worse than the number of US citizens killed by guns each month how exactly?

And this is worse than the number of US citizens killed by guns each month how exactly?
    Perhaps you've confused this thread with a gun thread or an American violence thread. If those topics are of interest to you, perhaps you might start your own thread to talk about those things you'd like to discuss, Nick.

It is interesting, and telling, that Brits here seem to measure themselves, and their country, against the US in virtually every way. If more than 600 people a day are glassed in Britian, why, it isn't even worth talking about because, hey, America has a gun violence problem.

Do you people realize how unserious, intellectually dishonest, and juvenile, this point of view is?

I wouldn't want to underplay the seriousness of glassing. I have witnessed one and it wasn't pleasant. But consider this..

Pubs currently pull 126 million pints of beer every week in Britain. I have been drinking in pubs and playing gigs in pubs and clubs for over fifty years, in Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Manchester, London, Birmingham and all point in between, and I have seen a lot of fights, but only one glassing.
    If you do a serious investigation of glassing you will find some wildly varying statistics..

The Mail tells us there are “around 87,000 violent incidents involving glassware each year, which costs an annual estimate of 100m in NHS, police and court costs.”

According to the authoritative British Crime Survey, there are about 43,000 violent incidents involving the use of glasses and bottles as weapons annually, only about half of which come to police attention.
    http://www.bapras.org.uk/media-gover...ies-in-britain

The Hospital Episode Statistics from the NHS list all external causes of hospital admissions. In 2009 it treated 10413 for unspecified ‘contact with sharp glass’ and a further 5226 people for injuries sustained by an ‘assault by a sharp object’. The former covers every single accident involving glasses, the latter includes knife injuries etc. The true number of beer glass-related injuries is buries somewhere within one or both these figures and is therefore clearly much smaller than we are being led to believe. It’s not clear why the ‘many’ of the Times‘ 85,000 who are ‘scarred for life’, or the Telegraph’s ‘1000 a week’ who receive horrific glassing injuries, are not going to hospital to have these injuries seen to.

https://www.petebrown.net/2010/02/05...ies-year-gave/
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

It is interesting, and telling, that Brits here seem to measure themselves, and their country, against the US in virtually every way. If more than 600 people a day are glassed in Britian, why, it isn't even worth talking about because, hey, America has a gun violence problem.

Do you people realize how unserious, intellectually dishonest, and juvenile, this point of view is?
    It is an American forum, so why should we not try to educate our hosts with a better way of doing things,
    Humanitarians that we are.

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    I wouldn't want to underplay the seriousness of glassing. I have witnessed one and it wasn't pleasant. But consider this..

Pubs currently pull 126 million pints of beer every week in Britain. I have been drinking in pubs and playing gigs in pubs and clubs for over fifty years, in Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Manchester, London, Birmingham and all point in between, and I have seen a lot of fights, but only one glassing.
    If you do a serious investigation of glassing you will find some wildly varying statistics..

The Mail tells us there are “around 87,000 violent incidents involving glassware each year, which costs an annual estimate of 100m in NHS, police and court costs.”

According to the authoritative British Crime Survey, there are about 43,000 violent incidents involving the use of glasses and bottles as weapons annually, only about half of which come to police attention.
    http://www.bapras.org.uk/media-gover...ies-in-britain

The Hospital Episode Statistics from the NHS list all external causes of hospital admissions. In 2009 it treated 10413 for unspecified ‘contact with sharp glass’ and a further 5226 people for injuries sustained by an ‘assault by a sharp object’. The former covers every single accident involving glasses, the latter includes knife injuries etc. The true number of beer glass-related injuries is buries somewhere within one or both these figures and is therefore clearly much smaller than we are being led to believe. It’s not clear why the ‘many’ of the Times‘ 85,000 who are ‘scarred for life’, or the Telegraph’s ‘1000 a week’ who receive horrific glassing injuries, are not going to hospital to have these injuries seen to.

https://www.petebrown.net/2010/02/05...ies-year-gave/
    "Unspecified accidents with sharp glass" will include people falling against glass windows with bloody results, and so on.

"Unspecified accidents with sharp glass" will include people falling against glass windows with bloody results, and so on.
    Yes. Having looked at some of the stats, including Home Office and National Crime Survey, it is obvious that the larger numbers, presented by the likes of the Daily Mail, are including threats with no actual attack, and accidents.

Of course we Brits learned everything we know about bar fights, including the use of broken bottles, from American movies

Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

I see our master of intellectual dishonesty, SB, is back on his "superior and condescending" kick. Same old.....same old...... (Easier than answering a straight question, anyway. That would be too much to ask )

Apparently he gets a bit peeved if you hijack his preferred topic of discussion, though. This presents new opportunities for dialogue with Ol' Blooie, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Apparently he gets a bit peeved if you hijack his preferred topic of discussion, though. This presents new opportunities for dialogue with Ol' Blooie, don't you think?
    The patterns are very familiar. But - dialogue? No chance. If he can't control the terms of the dialogue......well, that's much too threatening to this sad soul, I think.