Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Restore Your Britishness

Default Re: Restore Your Britishness

It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I won't be signing!

Neither will I. My passport is due for renewal so I'm planning to apply for an Irish one
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Moan moan moan.

are british bub patrons still not trusted with actual glass pint glasses are they still required to drink their beer from plastic cups?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    are british bub patrons still not trusted with actual glass pint glasses are they still required to drink their beer from plastic cups?
    Still? where do you get that idea?
    I have never met a plastic glass in a pub, bub.

Maybe the plastic cups are reserved for those rowdy Yanks... <wink, grin>
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

In 2010, it was found that approximately 450 persons per month were slashed with broken pint glasses in Britain.

The problem was particularly acute in Scotland, but no one seems to know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    In 2010, it was found that an average of 450 persons per month were slashed with broken pint glasses in Britain.

The problem was particularly acute in Scotland, but no one seems to know why.
    because guns and knives have been banned in england

helmets, that's the answer

This thread was created in honor of downthecreek, by the way. I think he secretly loves my Britain threads. I'd like to buy him a pint one day, but only if he promises not to come after me with the glass.

I've never been served in anything other than glass. I don't care what's on my glass so long as the contents are full measure!

I enjoy my ale in places like this:

with a bar like this:

Although I can be a non-traditional guy with regard to the glass - note the grooves for thumb and fingers!:

Last edited by Canoez; 01-10-2018 at 09:31 AM.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    This thread was created in honor of downthecreek, by the way. I think he secretly loves my Britain threads. I'd like to buy him a pint one day, but only if he promises not to come after me with the glass.
    Secretly? Hardly....... Come on SB. You can do better than this! The usual SB snide is there, but it's the old verbosity, pomposity, pontification and condescension I'm after.

Btw, he is a she and she doesn't drink pints. Indeed, she rarely drinks beer at all. A decent glass of wine - now that is a different matter. And she has never seen a plastic glass in a pub and never slashed anyone with any weapon at all. Admittedly she is not a great habituee of pubs and particularly not the ones where people get into fights.

Neither does she go rooting around for evidence if the manifest awfulness of the USA (which she has visited regularly for nearly 40 years) That would be like shooting fish in a barrel! But she is inclined to think that the monthly woundings (mostly superficial)in pub fights might be slightly preferable to the monthly deaths by shooting in the US (roughly twice that number)

Time to confiscate the metal guns and switch to plastic, I think! How about water pistols? They're fun!

Edited to add, in the interests of transparency: I did once handbag a drunken Russian sailor (as recommended by Maggie Thatcher) who was trying (very hard) to sex pester me on Princes Street in Edinburgh. The poor bloke was from a naval ship on a "friendly" visit docked at Leith. He and his mates were out looking for the fleshpots of the mysterious and dissolute west, but tragically, Edinburgh on a Sunday morning 45 years ago was not the most promising location for fulfilment of that kind of ambition. The innate ferocity derived from my Scots ancestry, combined with violent vibes that pervade the atmosphere of the very nation, must have got the better of me that day.
    Last edited by downthecreek; 01-10-2018 at 11:06 AM.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post

Red Solo all the way!!!!

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

I prefer these..

A mug!
    The glass, not you.

^ certainly easier than one of these!

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Is that now a metre of ale?

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    Is that now a metre of ale?
    Can you do that in pints per meter or do you need to use liters per meter?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    I did once handbag a drunken Russian sailor (as recommended by Maggie Thatcher) who was trying (very hard) to sex pester me on Princes Street in Edinburgh. The poor bloke was from a naval ship on a "friendly" visit docked at Leith. He and his mates were out looking for the fleshpots of the mysterious and dissolute west, but tragically, Edinburgh on a Sunday morning 45 years ago was not the most promising location for fulfilment of that kind of ambition. The innate ferocity derived from my Scots ancestry, combined with violent vibes that pervade the atmosphere of the very nation, must have got the better of me that day.
    Well done! Best post of the year so far!
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    A mug!
    The glass, not you.
    The dimpled mug style glasses almost disappeared for a while in England because the main manufacturer, Ravenhead Glass in St. Helens Merseyside, closed in 2001. But somehow Scottish pubs have had them all the time I've lived here. Now it seems they are making a comeback across the UK, and are being manufactured in Turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    I've never been served in anything other than glass. I don't care what's on my glass so long as the contents are full measure!

I enjoy my ale in places like this:

with a bar like this:

Such fantastic drinking venues! Particularly those with ceilings low enough to discourage one from ever rising from one's seat.
    No good ever came from a man drinking on his feet.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

blooie shot down by a Brit! And a woman at that! You can imagine what that's like for an alt-right guy - a real gut crusher.

LMAO
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Such fantastic drinking venues! Particularly those with ceilings low enough to discourage one from ever rising from one's seat.
    No good ever came from a man drinking on his feet.
    You say that - but there's a little pub in Easington called the Mole and Chicken. Food is fantastic as is the selection of beers, wines and ciders - I've never been fortunate enough to have been there in warm weather to enjoy the patio, sadly. In the bar area of the Mole and Chicken is a low ceiling divided by beams. Mounted in the ceiling between the beams at fairly regular spacings are handles. When I asked the barmaid what they were for, she replied that they were there to help you hold yourself up!

The patio:

The Bar - note the handles! (On the beams too - my bad!) :

Last edited by Canoez; 01-10-2018 at 12:09 PM.
    -William A. Ward

SB called, he seems to have mislaid his petard......Ah, I see it is being put to fine use.

Know nothing of English Pubs, but have been to the Crow and Gate in Cedar, BC on Vancouver Island several times.
    Seems close enough to the Real thing. http://crowandgate.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    SB called, he seems to have mislaid his petard......Ah, I see it is being put to fine use.
    Apparently likes the view from up there.
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    I prefer these..

Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

As for the petition linked in the OP. This is a whinge that first emerged back in 2007 https://www.standard.co.uk/news/eu-s...t-7206006.html

For more than 300 years, the stamp of the crown on top of a pub glass has stood as a guarantee that it is big enough to deliver a full pint.

Just to be pedantic, this seems to ignore the fact the 300 years ago they didn't have pub glasses. It is correct that legislation introduced by William III in 1700 required the crown stamp, which confirmed the vessel would hold a pint. But the vessels at that time would have been made of wood, earthenware and pewter. Pub glasses didn't become common until near the end of the Victorian era.

In June 1894 the Portsmouth Evening News reported:

It has been noticed that the old-fashioned pewter pot has disappeared from public-houses and is replaced by beer glasses. In connection with the supply of these glasses – an enormous number of which is required – a serious complaint is heard from the glass trade in London. The stamping and verifying of the glasses costs a penny each – almost as much as the cost of production.

I confess that I agree with the CAMRA view, which is that pint glasses should be slightly oversized with a line marking the pint level just below the rim. This ensures that you get a full pint of liquid and there is space for the head above that. Glasses of that type were introduced quite a while ago, but these days are not commonly seen in pubs. They are however pretty much the norm at beer festivals.

My 'Britishness'?

Din't know I 'ad any, old chap.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I've taken a couple of early morning walks in London. Since the indoor smoking ban, the drinkers carry glasses outside. It's astonishing to see all the empties sitting on benches and windowsill. I don't know who sorts out which glasses go to which pubs.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

The Mug & Anchor in Mahone Bay, NS; watering hole of choice during the late and lamented Mahone Bay Wooden Boat Festival:

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

My Grandmother was from Kensington from before the war, I drive a land rover, and I own a GP-14. I am not sure I can get more British without living there.

Re #30
    The irony is that William III (William of Orange) was essentially Dutch.
    He was born in the Hague in 1650. Although his mother Mary was English (a daughter of King Charles I), his father William was an Orange-Nassau, a member of the most powerful family in the United Provinces of the Netherlands. He cared little for Britain and much of his focus was on protecting the Netherlands from the French, to which ends he built a Grand Alliance with Austria, Spain and the Netherlands.

So the man who introduced the crown stamp on beer mugs, which some want to restore to show our 'Britishness' , was a European at heart