Thread: Experience replacing cement liner in diesel stove?

Default Experience replacing cement liner in diesel stove?

My sweet old boat has a wonderful Dickinson diesel stove. It works beautifully but the cement liner is falling apart. I just decarbonized it this past weekend and the cracked liner really started falling apart.

I know that you can buy bags of the insoline liner cement, but have no experience with this task. Any guidance from folks who've been there, done that would be most appreciated.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama

Default Re: Experience replacing cement liner in diesel stove?

check with Dickinson first. or you can ask at a heating ac supply that sells boiler supplies. there is a "wet pack" it will easier then using cement.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Thanks, Denise...this is terra incognita for me. A little googling revealed a couple of how-to articles, but now you have me curious about the wet pack. I will certainly need to get the custom-sized fire brick that is trying to fall apart in there....

Quote Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
    Thanks, Denise...this is terra incognita for me. A little googling revealed a couple of how-to articles, but now you have me curious about the wet pack. I will certainly need to get the custom-sized fire brick that is trying to fall apart in there....
    I'd be real surprised if you can't get what you need from Dickinson, almost nobody uses actual fire brick in small fossil fueled equipment, it's usually preformed or panel, refractory

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

It is possible to get premixed but not preformed refractory cement which can be molded in place. I got some from a stove restorer but pottery suppliers might be a source.

Ummm, why wouldn't you just go to the source? The price seems pretty reasonable too
    Replacement firebricks:
    http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/f...diesel-stoves/

Cement:
    http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/5...soline-cement/

And the third item down on this page is the pdf instruction sheet on how to cement your stove, with nice colour pics and words!
    http://dickinsonmarine.com/support/instructions/

Pete
    Last edited by epoxyboy; 01-11-2018 at 01:45 AM.
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Why wouldn't you just go to the source? At $18, they aren't exactly expensive.
    http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/f...diesel-stoves/

Pete
    Yup, I see that the brick and the bags of the cement mix are inexpensive. My question is about the process of replacing the lining, what that's like.

I added a link to their instruction sheet
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

I've built a couple of kilns for pottery and enameling and found that pottery supply companies carry very useful refractories. Soft bricks and castbles. The people I've used are in Canada, Ontario, Pottery supply house.
    Christine

I really appreciate everyone's input. Thanks so much!

Not sure if it was commonly used in this kind of installation, but my first thought when I saw the thread title was for asbestos. In my part of the world (Quebec), asbestos was commonly used for insulation, etc around boilers and furnaces. Sometimes mixed into concrete and applied as a jacket to pipes or combustion chambers. I think they stopped doing this only in the 1980s.

If you think asbestos might be a concern, be careful not to disturb it without some good dust control set up. The fine fibres can get everywhere and pose a long-term health risk. I paid about $1200 to have a pile of asbestos professionally removed from my old boiler, rather than risk spreading it around in the house.

If you decide to pull it out yourself, you might consider something like:
    - seal off a small area with plastic and tape
    - have a shop vac with a good filter to pick up dust as you go
    - vent the shop vac outside!
    - wear disposable painters scrubs and (of course) a good mask

Hi Ask the people that made the range They are very good with customer service .
    If they used asbestos they will tell you

Yeah, there's no asbestos in the cement.

I have the new cement, fire brick and high-temp stove sealant for putting the thing back together. Next step: get the damned top off! It's been on there for 40 years...I'll post the extraordinary measures required to free it from its petrified bondage when I figure out what they are.

The instructions from Dickinson say there are six screws holding the top on. I see only two ancient, rusty screw heads.

This is going to be fun, I just know it.

To remove the top try a stiff putty knife tapped gently between the top and the stove body moving along all around the top The old cement is ,most likely, crumbly .There are small clips that the screws that hold the top on screw into, These are almost surely 'gone' be sure to get them from Dickinson.New screws as well.
    If you look at the on line instruction from them you'll see them in the photos.
    Next when you have completed the refractory replacement and ready to put the top back on ,it must be in the exact correct location No sliding it around !!
    This can be accomplished by screwing in long headless screw to act as guides ,When the top is cemented and on and allowed to dry those pins are screwed out and the regular screw put in . Job done.
    A thing about boat projects you will now be very qualified to do that job .One you will most likely never do again... Carry On..

Oh forgot, You may want to replace the flame viewing window material Mica if an older model Heat resistant glass on the newer ones.. Easier to do with the top off.
    Then you'll be set ..