Thread: Garlic

Default Garlic

Proof that God loves us and wants our fingers to smell good!

Default Re: Garlic

This will hit the pan when her key hits the lock.
    20180109_185027.jpg

So you're home preparing supper, the old lady is out somewhere and you have the door locked. Must be something to hide, eh?

Well, I've been known to fraternize with unregistered puppies.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I eat it by the spoonful , chopped with cayenne pepper and ginger. Wait 20 minutes for the garlic chemical to do something I forget. Cooking it, it’s a spice. Raw, it’s a powerful medicine .

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    I eat it by the spoonful , chopped with cayenne pepper and ginger. Wait 20 minutes for the garlic chemical to do something I forget. Cooking it, it’s a spice. Raw, it’s a powerful medicine .
    I like it both ways. No can do if I'm liable to see a client though <G>

Got a new, beefy, garlic press the other day, and I've been really enjoying how effortlessly it makes garlic mush, and how easy it is to clean. My sweetie grows it, so we have plenty to enjoy... and we do.

That mess looks really good, Lee. I made up some pasta with baby shrimp and a wad of garlic the other day. What a lovely combo - esp. with some of the spicy Podner's Pit bbq sauce.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I went to the Gilroy Garlic Festival when I lived out there. It was a lot of fun, but there's a reason garlic ice cream isn't on the regular Baskin-Robbins menu. The best was plain roasted garlic spread on sourdough bread. My pee smelled like garlic for three days.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Another reason for cows to keep producing top-quality cream and for bakers to make good, crusty Italian loaves!

:medium sized cast iron pot (preferably dedicated)
    :a one pound block of SALTED butter per head of garlic. (I tend towards three of each)
    :medium-slow stovetop

Smash the heads of garlic and mince/smush/pastify the cloves (smacking them hard with the flat of a blade will remove their "raincoats") to a fine consistency (really, this is SUCH a personal taste thing... if you like 'em so there's NO garlic body left, use an immersion blender later on, otherwise, celebrate the occasional bit of garlic that you may find a day later creeping out of your dental work/peri-pockets and which will greet you at the MOST inopportune moment (unless your S.O. happens to have partaken of this nectar with you previously, in which case all is well, there IS balm in Gilead and full speed ahead.

I personally like JUST a bit of oil in the pot, up to a good heat and then adding all the garlic and stirring gently until the garlic STARTS to clarify. Now for the part I always had the worst time with... adding one pound of butter for every large garlic head. Seriously.

This is NOT something for the diet-conscious, cardiac-health-objectifing, reducing the cholesterolic catastrophic arteriosclerotic placquamatic proponents of the world. I'm 72. If I make it to 73, it WON'T be because I decided to go to soy-butter and tofu-garlic masturbative substitutions for the real thing.

OK The butter is now (or should be) looking like a beautiful golden pool with the remnants of garlic body lightly scenting the entier goddamn neighborhood. (I've had Napolitanii sobbing at my back door entreating me to give up their "Nonni"!)

Now: the best part!

Cut up ONE MEDIUM loaf of FRESH Italian loaf (or, should you be so incredibly fortunate as to have a real Puerto Rican baker in the area, a loaf of "Pan De Manteca" (truly one of the most incredibly wonderful breads) into discs oof about 3/8", then divide these into cubes of as many as you can make, spread them on a baking sheet (covered with aluminium foil) and pop it into a 220 degrees 9of=r so) oven... and pour JUST enough of the butter/garlic sauce on them as they all get a good dose, but none of them go "swimming".

Toast them for ten minutes or until your guests start overcoming the barricades into the kitchen, then appease them with the incredible flavour of garlic toast croutons.

(Need I say that there should be a fair amount of garlic butter left and, if you wish, you can chill this for future use (although I must admit that I've never been able to restrain myself to a sufficient point to allow this mythical occurrence to... occur) or, as so often befalls MY creation of this Ambrosiac Oily Cardiopathic substance, it somehow "disappears" and my breath for days after is easily mistaken for someone named "Olfreggio".

Salt may be added to taste, and - of course - powdered garlic, if not sufficiently "garllick-y" to taste, but we should remember that salt is perhaps not the most healthy additive to this recipe?

DenksChooBerryMunch.

You guys are all nuts. I hate garlic, although I know I’m asking for a pig pile on Ron here.

Gahhhh-lick!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

The key to a good garlic ice cream is to use roasted garlic.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    You guys are all nuts. I hate garlic, although I know I’m asking for a pig pile on Ron here.
    Who??? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Just thinned the planter of basil. One good reason to have a greenhouse is for growing basil in winter.

Anyhow, I roasted cloves of garlic in the toaster oven and then popped it in the Cuisinart with lots of good olive oil, hunks of parmesan cheese, cashews, salt, pepper, and a lash of balsamic vinegar. Sauteed onion, bell pepper, and roma tomatoes, and served them over penne, bedded on fresh arugula and spinach. With generous dollops of fresh, fresh, fresh pesto.

So far beyond good there ain't even a word for it.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    This will hit the pan when her key hits the lock.
    20180109_185027.jpg
    LW, serious computer screen envy - for various important reasons, no shellfish in this household -- I will gaze at this with envy, sir !!
    thanks for the post

I take an entire bulb (or 2 or 3 of them), remove as much of the paper skin from around it as I can. Lop off the very tippy tops of them (Or slice the top off the bulb), place them in a glass baking dish, pour olive oil on them cover them in fresh ground pepper. Put them in the oven. My cooking go to for cooking anything but pizza is 350 until it looks done so go ahead and put it to 350. When the garlic is starting to bake to a nice golden colour take a wheel of brie, covered in pepper and olive oil of course, and place it in the dish next to the cloves. When it's warmed up and gooey but not quite liquidy running all over the bottom of the pan, take it out of the oven. Take your most favourite delicious French baguette and cut it into disks. Place a lump of brie on the baguette, top it with a whole baked clove. DELICIOUS!
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

And it's about the easiest plant to grow in the garden, no maintenance, a 3 x 5' patch can grow about 50 plants, grows through the winter, the scapes are delicious, and once you start growing it you have next years seed. If you're up north stick with the hard neck varieties.