Thread: Working to document the provenance of one of Fred Goeller’s Quincy Adams “Seventeens”

Default Working to document the provenance of one of Fred Goeller’s Quincy Adams “Seventeens”

I am in the possession of one of the Quincy Adams “Seventeens” - QA17’s - that Fred W. Goeller, Jr. designed, his drawings dated October, 1945. I am working to document the entire ownership history for this particular boat as well as discover a source for a full set of original drawings prior to developing a restoration plan.

Everything I write here about the design I have developed from online sources and have not spoken personally with anyone who is an authority on the subject of Mr. Goeller’s work or of this design in particular. I have not seen any original source materials for the design. I have in hand a copy of the sail plan and the lines drawing sheets for this boat thanks to other members here (these are the same sheets mentioned in other threads regarding the QA17’s and the only drawings available to IYRS when they restored hull #5, Plum).

It is notable that this design was selected by the Fishers Island Yacht Club for their first post war one design and delivered in 1947, of which a fleet of 15 was built and an additional 15 the following year in 1948.

The boat that I am researching was last owned by Sterling Klinck and he sailed it in Upstate, New York on Canandaigua Lake up until 2013 at which time his declining health left it on a Triad trailer in his shed. Mr. Klinck was the founder of the East Hill Boat Shop in Middlesex, NY and was known as a builder of Joel White’s Catspaws as well as a restorer of lakes boats. He was a life long Snipe sailor and restored several.

Sterling acquired the boat through the broker David Jones of Maine, and from a certain George Rodgers in 1999. I have spoken with Mr. Rodgers and he shared that he had the boat in a shed in Belfast, Maine from 1984 to mid 90’s and had it professionally restored as time and money allowed. He sailed it for 5 summers before passing it on to Mr. Klinck.

Mr. Rogers had acquired the boat from The Calhoon MEBA Engineering School, which according to their website, “is a private maritime educational facility for training members of the Marine Engineers Beneficial Association, as well as all maritime and related industry professionals.” He sailed the boat as a student there and decided some years after graduating that it needed to come along with him to Maine and be restored.

When Mr. Rodgers acquired the boat he was given a copy of a hand written letter that the former owner used as the basis to transfer ownership to the school.

And a copy of that hand written letter is the only document that I have which describes it’s earlier history and which I am trying to further document.

The letter was written by a man who donated it to the school and had owned the boat from 1973 up until the time he donated it (the letter donating it was not dated with the year). It was written by a “Rick Swanx” and he listed his forwarding address at the time as Waianae, Hawaii. He also seems to be writing from a boat, the “S.S. Matsonia” (which he was busy trying to pay off). He states that the QA17 helped keep him sane during his earlier time at the the submarine school in Groton, Connecticut and that he sailed it down the coast to Calhoon when he became a student there.

Mr. Swanx states in his letter that he purchased the boat in Noank, CT, from, and i quote, " a fellow named Heyniger - last I heard he was competing in SORC in a S&S ’43 called ‘Althea’….” whom Mr. Swanx states purchased the boat The Mystic Seaport Museum, the boat having been donated in 1968.

Additionally he states that this particular boat was built for “the Dupont Family of Fishers Island, N.Y.”

At this point, I have attempted to find Mr. Swanx and Mr. Heyniger via online sources and have not succeeded.

I have written Rockport Marine’s brokerage arm which has acquired David Jones’ brokerage and have yet to hear anything more: David was sailing hull #16 as “Emeritus” at the time Mr. Klinck acquired the boat from Mr. Rogers and whom I hoped might be more knowledgable about the design and it's history.

I have also written to ask Mystic Seaport if they have records for donations made and sold as far back as 1968 and am waiting to hear back.

Lastly, I have emailed the Fisher’s Island Yacht club to ask if they have records for the ownership of the original fleet delivered in 1947 and have yet to hear back. I have yet to see a list of hull numbers and owners for that first year.

If anyone here can aid in helping me establish contact with Mr. Swanx, Mr. Heyniger or anyone at Fishers Island or at the Seaport it would be greatly appreciated.

I am generally interested in the design, it’s history and will start another thread because it strikes me that there is no single source with describes Mr. Goeller’s broad range of work, his designs and his career over the long haul. Many sources note his contributions to designs in Rudder and his work with the Herreshoff Company as a draftsman but I have yet to hear about a collection of Goeller’s original drawings and materials.

Ownership As Known

Sterling Klinck 1999 - 2017
    George Rogers 1984 -1999
    Calhoon MEBA Engineering School ? - 1984
    Rick Swanx 1973 - ?
    Mr. Heyniger approx. 1968 to 1973
    Mystic Seaport Museum ? -1968
    Other owners?
    Dupont's of Fishers Island 1947 - ?
    Last edited by freddewolf; 05-06-2018 at 07:24 AM.

Default Re: Working to document the provenance of one of Fred Goeller’s Quincy Adams “Sevente

I recently discovered that we have one of the Quincy Adams 17s. It was purchased from the Museum of Yachting years ago, and the title was mislabeled as a Sound Interclub. It didn’t quite match the photos I’d seen, and the length was off. I’m also searching for a set of plans. It had no interior, and I’d like to restore it to the original plan. I can’t find a hull number anywhere, but it was named Aries, unless that was changed over the years.

I’m very curious about your quest, as this is a new history I’m trying to piece together as well.

Default Re: Working to document the provenance of one of Fred Goeller’s Quincy Adams “Sevente

Quote Originally Posted by hueske View Post
    I recently discovered that we have one of the Quincy Adams 17s. It was purchased from the Museum of Yachting years ago, and the title was mislabeled as a Sound Interclub. It didn’t quite match the photos I’d seen, and the length was off. I’m also searching for a set of plans. It had no interior, and I’d like to restore it to the original plan. I can’t find a hull number anywhere, but it was named Aries, unless that was changed over the years.

I’m very curious about your quest, as this is a new history I’m trying to piece together as well.
    It is interesting that you made mention of the 'interclub' terminology. In my research on the Quincy Adams 17's I came across a reference to Goeller's "Interclub" design being stretched and becoming the Quincy Adams....And the term in The Rudder seems to apply to the Quincy Adams 17's themselves.

I am reluctant to report that I have not heard anything more from making this post and have nothing new to report in terms of locating a full set of plans.

I have seen the book "Sailing at Fishers" by John Rousmaniere, which was printed by Mystic Seaport and Fishers Island Yacht Club and contains several photographs of the boats being sailed as well as a brief history of their role in the history of the yacht club and so you know at some point people were able to reflect and recollect about the boats which tells me that Fishers Island Yacht Club may be the richest source of information about the class. I have yet to hear from either the club or Mystic Seaport.
    Last edited by freddewolf; 02-04-2018 at 05:06 PM.

Hotdiggity, just found this page: http://www.shipbuildinghistory.com/s...mall/adams.htm

The Riverside boats start partway down. I recognize every owner or boat name from #8 to #24. These are not necessarily original owners of the boats.
    Last edited by N Thomas; 05-07-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N Thomas View Post
    Hotdiggity, just found this page: http://www.shipbuildinghistory.com/s...mall/adams.htm

The Riverside boats start partway down. I recognize every name from #8 to #24. Muhlfield had #26, not on that list.
    I wonder If The Fishers Island Yacht Club would have a list of the original fleet? Ours is named “Aries”, but that could have changed over the years.

About the sail plans in hand: I don't know why we have them. Maybe copies were handed out to the original QA17 purchasers and Milt Merz (#16 Mist, d 2010; Vi d 2013) happened across the copy Greg sent me. More likely, the trophy chairman at Riverside YC requested a set.

There were discussions about building more QA's, an unsuccessful search was made for Lawley Yard drawings. Lacking plans, suggested was make a mold but what was arguably the fastest hull #23 was in a state of disintegration and I suspect the owner of the second fastest hull and in best repair #13 was loathe to sacrifice and I'm not going to ask him.

The youngest Riverside owners would be 90+ today.
    Last edited by N Thomas; 05-07-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Freddewolf- Try contacting John Rousmaniere, author of this book. He's on Facebook if you are: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/sai...ere/1121639123
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Whoa. Heyniger as in Alexander Bryan and Cortland Heyniger as in Alcort Sunfish?

There's a Kevin Heyniger in Rockland, Maine; he should be reachable through the Rockland Community Sailing program.

From Rockland would be an easy haul for a rebuild in Belfast, Maine.
    Last edited by N Thomas; 05-08-2018 at 03:26 PM.

According to Wiki, SS Matsonia (1932), originally named Monterey, then renamed in 1957, before being sold and becoming Lurline and then Britanis for Chandris Lines, operating as a cruise ship for the until 2000, when she was sold for scrap and sank on her way to Indian ship breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Freddewolf- Try contacting John Rousmaniere, author of this book. He's on Facebook if you are: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/sai...ere/1121639123
    Direct message sent asking John Rousmaniere who he would suggest I contact both at the Museum - Mystic was involved in the production of that book - as well as who he would suggest I contact at Fishers.

Why do I never think of Facebook as a research tool?

Quote Originally Posted by N Thomas View Post
    Whoa. Heyniger as in Alexander Bryan and Cortland Heyniger as in Alcort Sunfish?

There's a Kevin Heyniger in Rockland, Maine; he should be reachable through the Rockland Community Sailing program.

From Rockland would be an easy haul for a rebuild in Belfast, Maine.
    The quote I had above came from Swanx's letter to Calhoun MEBA and that was all he had to say in reference to 'a fellow named Heyniger'. I will try and reach the Kevin Heyniger in Rockland.

Perhaps I can get a good scan of the entire letter and post that.

The Sunfish was designed in a Waterbury CT loft so the two had access to Long Island Sound. And Bryan married Corny Shields' daughter (Dad remembers her name ... hmmm).

Overload on sailing roots here. I suspect Mr Swanx was being humorous when he wrote "a fellow named Heyniger."
    Last edited by N Thomas; 05-10-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by freddewolf View Post
    The quote I had above came from Swanx's letter to Calhoun MEBA and that was all he had to say in reference to 'a fellow named Heyniger'. I will try and reach the Kevin Heyniger in Rockland.

Perhaps I can get a good scan of the entire letter and post that.
    Who'd have thought Heyniger would be such a common name? Searched for Heyniger + Noank, found obit for Marjorie “Marnie” Green Heyniger.

William "Bill" Sinclair Heyniger III, d 1989, member of Mason's Island Yacht Club (Stonington CT) and Ram Island Yacht Club (Groton CT).
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/the...4213&fhid=6910

The Yacht Racing Association of Long Island Sound kept a handicap for QA17's in 2002: https://www.yralis.org/node/46261