Thread: Got scammed!

Default Got scammed!

Today I'm minding my own business about five miles into a nice ride on my road trike on the rollers in front of the computer and watching YouTube videos when Max starts barking like crazy. Somebody is on the front porch. It was UPS delivering a big, heavy box. Strange........ Once opened, it contained really fabulous Milwaukee 18V twin-unit cordless drill/driver set with all the gizmos in a hard case ($399). The only curiosity was that I never ordered one. I was hoping one of you guys just liked me enough to surprise me with a late Christmas present, or that one of my relatives had won the Powerball.

- I called my wife, and she hadn't bought it for me.
    - So I called the shipper in Georgia. It was purchased on eBay, paid with PayPal and supposedly billed to one of my credit cards listed as back-ups to my account.
    - I called my credit card companies and found out it had been billed to my Citibank card - along with a similar previous purchase for a $429 track saw (which I never got) a few days earlier.
    - I called PayPal, as neither of these showed up as purchases on my account summary. Apparently there is some kind of "guest" checkout mode which can be used, which doesn't leave much documentation. They're working on refunds, along with the Citibank folks. My only gripe is that it is nearly impossible to get a customer service person these days who speaks clear, American English, so the phone calls are incredibly tedious as you strain to make out WTF they are saying.
    - I got a return label for the drill set from the shipper. No problem, and I will return it (but miss it because they were REALLY nice).
    - Also got a new card number from Citibank.

This left the questions (1) why would somebody use my card to scam me, but then have the goods shipped to me? And (2) What happened to the track saw? I called the shipper back to tell them that I was apparently also on the hook for the saw. He said "We have the saw". UPS returned it to us.

At that point, the modus operandi of the scam was revealed. Mr. Criminal wants a new saw, hacks out your card info, orders it and has it shipped to your address, so that the billing and shipping addresses match and don't raise any suspicion. Apparently he lists some other email address (I only have one and it was not used) and the tracking info is sent to him. Then he uses the convenient form they provide to change the delivery address to somewhere else before it gets dropped at my front door. Less inventive criminals do it the analog way - follow the truck and grab it off of your porch. From what we could figure, UPS was aware of these guys, flagged it when they tried to reroute the saw and sent it back to the shipper. When the saw scam didn't work, the crooks didn't bother to try rerouting the drills and either gave up or planned to go with an analog pickup.
    - I called UPS to see if there was any reroute address or email info they could give me to help find the scammer, but no luck. The customer service guy was clueless and could barely speak English.

Anyway, new card coming, old card dead, refunds coming soon and I'll take any back-up card numbers off of my PayPal account (I don't use them anyway) but be careful out there. The world is a dangerous place.

Default Re: Got scammed!

When I opened an account at my bank, they issued me a credit card to go with it. I asked about a debit card, but they told me that the credit card was much safer -- the debit card was a straight pipe into my bank account, while the credit card offered the ability to nullify charges.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Don't return the drill set until the refund hits your account.

Thanks Todd! Sorry for your hassle but it's good for us to know about these scams and what to look out for.

Rick

To be accurate, you didn't get scammed (i.e. fall for a bogus proposition) but rather hacked.

You are not the sort of average fool to click on the wrong sort of link.

My sympathies.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    .Anyway, new card coming, old card dead, refunds coming soon and I'll take any back-up card numbers off of my PayPal account (I don't use them anyway) but be careful out there. The world is a dangerous place.
    In the past year, I've been similarly scammed... twice.... and had to change my credit card number twice.

I'm glad that I've never had to pay anything... but changing my credit card number requires me to notify perhaps a dozen legitimate vendors of the change... for recurring payments like my cell phone bill, internet access bill, etc.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Any idea why they chose to hack you instead of someone else Todd? That might be important information.

No idea, but I've been buying a lot of bike stuff lately to outfit our trikes, much of it little orders from eBay, though not on credit cards, and that particular card doesn't get used much. I also still don't understand what this PayPal "guest" purchase thing is - or how somebody can use it, bill it to me and it doesn't show up on my PayPal account and purchases summary.

I had my eBay/PayPal stuff hacked a few years ago. Somebody listed a bunch of cell phones for sale under my account and changed the address on my PayPal account where the seller's payments were supposed to go. I just get the feeling that since everybody is in a big rush to come out with the latest technology for all this web-based stuff they tend to release things before they are really tested for bugs.

I have three cards and this will be the second one which recently had problems. I'll probably call the third one's customer service and change that one as well, just in case, along with eBay and PayPal passwords, which I changed. I don't have many automatic withdrawals set up on cards, but there are a few, like my anti-virus auto-renewals which will then need to be updated.

This seems common these days. Now to a normal person, it may seem pointless. But if its done thousands of times and only successful 1% of the time, they are still making out. One lazy UPS employee, one oversight by a stressed USPS worker and the forward works and it arrives elsewhere and is turned into crack almost immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    It's difficult to explain virtue signalling, as I was just saying to my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop.

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    When I opened an account at my bank, they issued me a credit card to go with it. I asked about a debit card, but they told me that the credit card was much safer -- the debit card was a straight pipe into my bank account, while the credit card offered the ability to nullify charges.
    I do have a Credit card but only use that for purchases I make personally.
    On my Banks advise I also have a Debit card linked to only one account that has NO money in it UNTIL I decide to buy something online at which time I transfer sufficient funds into it.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

It seems that you have them by the gonads if UPS will turn over the attempted address change to the authorities. Probably nobody cares enough to follow it through, which is too bad.

I don't know what I'm talking about, but having looked at this I would say you should disable guest checkout and delete cookies each time you shut down your computer.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/selfhelp/a...-option-ts1623

I always delete browsing histories, cookies and more at least once /day by using the default setting on CCleaner. Here's a link to CCleaner for PCs. There's one for Macs as well.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner?so...SAAEgIXLPD_BwE

Everything I buy online comes out of a particular account, usually used for PayPal purchases. At the moment that account has nine dollars in it. If I want to buy something for say eighty nine dollars, I transfer ninety from another account. I don't give my bank card details out on line or over the phone. So far I haven't been scammed, but I have spent a stupid of amount of money on fun chit I didn't really need JayInOz

iirc, ebay automatically saves card info at time of purchase.. for your convenience. I believe you can tell it to forget the card, but you have to do it at every purchase. Not sure, but they may require a number be saved always. If so, perhaps leave the old, no longer valid number there.. and enter the new card data for each purchase.

I removed all cards from the account. I've made more than 680 transactions on eBay over the years and not put any of them on a credit card. The only reason they were listed at all was to provide some extra funding back-up during the early years when I was buying and selling a bunch of expensive guitars on eBay. It was some sort of rating thing - as if you were more trustworthy if you had a credit card, in case your other payment method failed. They seem to dramatically change the way eBay and/or PayPal work every two or three years and now having cards listed on my PayPal is of no use to me.

Today it took me about half an hour of going from webpage to webpage in circles to even find an eBay phone number to call to talk to a human about the situation. You would think that the button labeled "contact us" might have some contact information. In reality, after you follow along, clicking through three or four screens that don't help, you get back to the screen with the button that says "contact us". Once I finally found a number on something I wrote down a long time ago I got through - to their machines asking unhelpful questions, over and over. When I finally convinced it to connect me to a live person, it eventually did. So naturally I got a guy who could barely speak English and had a phone with horrible sound quality. Sorry, but I don't think it is discriminatory to expect these companies to hire only those customer service people who can communicate clearly over the telephone. Those who can not are simply not qualified for those jobs.

I was burned via PayPal some years ago -- so I no longer make use of that service. PayPal didn't burn me, but they were the conduit, and offered no help. At least with a credit card, there is some protection. Plus our bank has a very sensitive "trip wire" when it comes to credit scams. It inconveniences us from time to time, but I prefer to pay that price than take a monetary hit.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson