Thread: Roger Taylor's H28 article

Default Roger Taylor's H28 article

I just recieved the latest issue of WB but have not had time to do much other than browse through it. I note that Roger Taylor has written an article on the L. Francis Herreshoff H28 ketch which will be my first read. I was asked to submit some photos of my H28 "Bright Star" but was both chagrined and disappointed to find that the digital format was not of the correct size to be included! I have no qualms about that problem other than that it is my own darn fault! I will correct this for future articles.
    Roger is a good friend as well as an excellent marine writer! I think he knows more about Herreshoff than anyone around!
    If you are not aware of it, Roger is just finishing up the second volume on his biography of L. Francis Herreshoff that will, hopefully, be available in a few months.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 01-09-2018 at 09:41 PM.

Default Re: Roger Taylor's H28 article

Jay, you might not learn anything new but I know you'll enjoy Roger's graceful way of putting things. Wonderful article.

And I am looking forward to the next book.

I think of what Michael Mason and the Pease crew put up with from me when I read LFH's remark, "You will find that there are always a lot of cranks who have queer ideas and I think it is just as well to let them go."

Or, as Michael and the crew did, at least toss a bit of sanity in the client's direction.

I agree Ian. It does seem that there are some cranks about that have such fixed ideas that the mere mention of common sense is seen as swearing!
    Jay

I imagine that the H-28 article may be included or drawn from the second volume of Roger Taylor's book. One of the 28s mentioned in the article was built nearby (the one by Roth) in the 70s when I first started building myself. Inspired to reread LFH's Rudder Magazine series that "The Compleat Cruiser" evolved into (in which VIATOR, an H-28 was featured prominently) I found a concluding chapter in the magazine series that wasn't included in the book. I recommend it highly if you can find it. It provides a lovely coda to the 'cruise' that ended abruptly in New London, leaving the reader to wonder how the cruising companions got back to their homeports.
    "It's a pirate's life for me. Savvy??"

I did not know of that conclusion piece. I hope that when (not 'if') Compleat is reissued, that will be included. Or that it will enter the public domain on the internet that I might read it.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    I imagine that the H-28 article may be included or drawn from the second volume of Roger Taylor's book. One of the 28s mentioned in the article was built nearby (the one by Roth) in the 70s when I first started building myself. Inspired to reread LFH's Rudder Magazine series that "The Compleat Cruiser" evolved into (in which VIATOR, an H-28 was featured prominently) I found a concluding chapter in the magazine series that wasn't included in the book. I recommend it highly if you can find it. It provides a lovely coda to the 'cruise' that ended abruptly in New London, leaving the reader to wonder how the cruising companions got back to their homeports.
    Back in that time you just got on the next most convenient train. My dad, working as paid hand in the 30's, used to do it all the time.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Back in that time you just got on the next most convenient train. My dad, working as paid hand in the 30's, used to do it all the time.
    Yes, that's how various crew members got home. There's a nice scene in which the women who were on the cruise are taken to the New London train station. I suppose I was more interested to read how the cruise itself continued as the boats returned to their homeports.

After the train left the station, the men alter the voyage to a 'boys' outing' with liquor, less formality and rougher eating and living. It becomes one of long days, testing the boats and crews with towing, sailing and motor-sailing choices. They contend with one another from anchorage to anchorage along the southern New England shore, through the Cape Cod Canal and ghosting across Massachusetts Bay on a moonlit night to Manchester and home. Herreshoff continues interspersing his lessons and observations about appreciating a simple life afloat. Thus the circular route of the cruise is completed.
    Last edited by rbgarr; 01-11-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Hi Guys- I have the compleat "Compleat Cruiser" in the series of Rudder issues. I went through them and noted anything that was edited out of the book "The Compleat Cruiser" . There were plenty of short bits here and there and, as noted, the concluding return to start of voyage. In another LFH story, (I think it is in "A Sail in the Alerion") LFH describes traveling to NYC to pick up Alerion from the steamer on which she was shipped home from Bermuda. The story includes such things as luxury camping overnight bunked down on the sail bags forward and, I think, another one about getting ashore for the night in a hotel in New London. Next day starts with a breakfast ashore and the hotel kitchen supplies box lunches for the crew. "A Sail in the Alerion" is a gem. Right up there with "The Dry Breakers".

I've suggested to the good people at WB that they consider reprinting the concluding chapter in the magazine or online in their 'Extended Content' or "Whiskey Plank' sections.