Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What will Trump do if asked to testify?

Default What will Trump do if asked to testify?

Refusing to testify likely won't play well, given both Hillary and Bill testified at length under oath. Makes Trump look like a coward on top of everything else.

Requiring written questions, likely won't play well, either.

What is likely is Mueller already knows the answers to any questions he asks, and Trump may, or may not realize that.

If he lies, he's in trouble.

If he's honest, he's in trouble.

I figure it won't belong before Graham and others are back to publicly thinking he's a kook.

Maybe he can develop some more burrs.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Default Re: What will Trump do if asked to testify?

Lie.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

He will assume that he can control the situation with his great brain and then, when that fails to sway Mueller, he will rant against the Clintons and fake news.
    Tom L

^ + a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post

Requiring written questions, likely won't play well, either.
    He can't read so that's out.

Lying is a given. Not impeachable unless the GOP has a problem with lying. Either way it’s an election year.

He’ll try like hell to get out of it but in the end he’ll tell more lies. How could he do anything but?

Lying to a federal investigator is a felony so impeachment by reds isn't a factor, he gets indicted.

That leaves pardoning himself and the Base is drooling at that possibility. Well, drooling even more than normal.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

He will do every trick in his portfolio to prevent his financial affairs from becoming public. That will include lying, and throwing all kinds of temper tantrums, along with repeating the "there is no collusion" thing over and over, taking the 5th, any ruse he can drum up, threatening to sue, firing Mueller before he even gets to being asked the questions, whimpering, faking a heart attack. You name it.

He's got 70+ years of skill at this. It's all he knows how to do.

And if Mueller isn't fired, and persists much longer, Trump will quit.

Then things will be much worse.

Because Pence is a catastrophe for a civilized society. And the Regressives will be ticked even more pink to have him, than they are with Trump.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

The problem with all of this is all Mueller can do is give his findings to the Republican committee involved in looking into the Russian deal, if they think there isn't enough, it will be shelved and won't go any further. Sure, the left will be kicking and screaming but, Republicans are in power. It would take someone like Goldwater to go to the president and tell him it's time as he did with Nixon. That's how I'm reading the tea leaves but, I hope I'm wrong!

There is no way Ty Cobb would let Trump reply to written questions without vetting the answers.

If he agrees to a deposition, there will likely be lawyers and Trump cronies in the room (with flash cards and other prompts). So a video deposition would be a good idea, since it would reveal any shenanigans.

I doubt that Trump has the guts to testify under oath in a public forum, nor would his lawyers allow him to do so.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

If Trump testified in public under oath, it would not be Donald Jr. who would be cracking like an egg

I have read some of the transcripts of his civil depositions, let us just say he is not a good witness.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    The problem with all of this is all Mueller can do is give his findings to the Republican committee involved in looking into the Russian deal, if they think there isn't enough, it will be shelved and won't go any further. Sure, the left will be kicking and screaming but, Republicans are in power. It would take someone like Goldwater to go to the president and tell him it's time as he did with Nixon. That's how I'm reading the tea leaves but, I hope I'm wrong!
    You are assuming that Republicans are still in power after the mid terms.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    You are assuming that Republicans are still in power after the mid terms.
    You're assuming Mueller is still going on with his investigation!

Trump will attempt to fire Mueller, and Congress will not stop him.

And the Republicans will still be in power after the mid-terms. Despite how many Regressives are retiring, the Democrats have no stable of replacements which can beat the far right/tea party crowd. Not only that, but there are three or four different progressive groups struggling for either a place in the Democratic party, or to replace it, right now, and they're not working together, any more than the mainline Democrats are.

With no viable candidates, or candidates representing a much too wide range of positions, the opposition to the Regressives is not going to be strong for quite a few more cycles.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

If he lies, he's screwed. If he doesn't lie, he's screwed.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I think there is an assumption that he colluded with the Russians.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Don Jr. did it all by himself. little boys have a desire to be as great as their dad on their own terms. There is a chance that Donny did it to present dad with a bingo card - "look what i did!"

On the other hand, a guy so practiced in telling lies (alternative facts) may not actually know he is lying.
    Twisting facts to suit himself is so normal to him he'll do it without knowing he's even doing it.
    In that case he could walk himself into an irreconcilable knot.

Either way it'll be good TV.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

I can't see how he won't end up testifying under oath, whether to Mueller or a grand jury. That the President can be compelled if he chooses to try to refuse an invitation is settled law.

Unless he fires Mueller, which starts a whole Constitutional thing.

He will lie, and try the SCOTUS' views on whether he can pardon himself.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Trump was a habitual litigant in his prior occupation so he knows the drill. But shading the truth in a civil suite does not have the danger inherent in a criminal investigation. His attorneys are probably doing rigorous show and tells trying to get him to see the dangers of speaking off the cuff when facing Mueller. If they could convince Trump he is not a genius that would do a lot of good but I wouldn't bet the farm on that eventuality ever happening.

My money is on the button. If backed into a corner he will push the button...

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    You are likely spot on. However, I'd like to think that Mueller will have a solid enough case that few will be able to deny it. I'd like to think that way, but I can't bring myself to.

I think Trump can be baited, and his ego can be his downfall.

The "term" should be 'coward'. He's afraid to testify. I expect he'll testify simply to prove he's not a coward.

Trump had a meeting today with democrats, very civil, far left libs are furious, they are betting on hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuyahoga Chuck View Post
    Trump was a habitual litigant in his prior occupation so he knows the drill. But shading the truth in a civil suite does not have the danger inherent in a criminal investigation. His attorneys are probably doing rigorous show and tells trying to get him to see the dangers of speaking off the cuff when facing Mueller. If they could convince Trump he is not a genius that would do a lot of good but I wouldn't bet the farm on that eventuality ever happening.
    I really think that if he's forced to testify, his lawyers will try to coach the living daylights out of him. However, two things will go against him. First, I don't think his memory is as good as it was - something is going on there as evidenced by his change in vocabulary. Second, I think he'll be dismissive of his lawyer's instructions as he thinks he's smarter than they are. However it works out in actual testimony will be a disaster the way some of his recent media interviews have been.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

He hasn't really got a choice. And being Trump, he's gonna get crucified. Mueller has the cream of the A-teams, and Trump can't tell the truth. I think he might actually want to this time, but I literally think he can't do it for a whole interview.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    I really think that if he's forced to testify, his lawyers will try to coach the living daylights out of him. However, two things will go against him. First, I don't think his memory is as good as it was - something is going on there as evidenced by his change in vocabulary. Second, I think he'll be dismissive of his lawyer's instructions as he thinks he's smarter than they are. However it works out in actual testimony will be a disaster the way some of his recent media interviews have been.
    Having prepared witnesses for testimony for more than 30 years, I concluded that you cannot give a witness a personality transplant. You can try to mold the witness into something different, but it comes crashing down when the witness is under pressure.

The worst witnesses are those who think that they're smarter than everyone else and those who are used to being in charge. The latter chafe under the circumstances because they're not under control.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Trump had a meeting today with democrats, very civil, far left libs are furious, they are betting on hate.
    Ach boz'e moi! The meeting was only hours old and you got it wrong. The meeting involved rep's from both parties and Trump, as
    usual, agreed with the last person who spoke so in the end both sides were telling the press the president gave them what they wanted.
    The purpose of this show and tell was not about DACA. It was a propaganda display to show the president was not as big a nutcase as Wolff's book suggests.

The worst witnesses are those who think that they're smarter than everyone else and those who are used to being in charge.
    Which describes Trump exactly.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Here's an example of what happens when Two Scoops takes the stand.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...on/trump-lies/
    Nosce te ipsum

Watch the tape and see what happens when Feinstein asks Trump if he'd agree to a clean bill for DACA. He agreed until GOP McCarthy jumps in and reminds Trump that a clean bill doesn't include a wall. The dummy didn't understand what a 'clean' bill was.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

they are betting on pizza and beer

Quote Originally Posted by Cuyahoga Chuck View Post
    Ach boz'e moi! The meeting was only hours old and you got it wrong. The meeting involved rep's from both parties and Trump, as
    usual, agreed with the last person who spoke so in the end both sides were telling the press the president gave them what they wanted.
    The purpose of this show and tell was not about DACA. It was a propaganda display to show the president was not as big a nutcase as Wolff's book suggests.

I told the forum libs would be pizzed...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Which describes Trump exactly.
    Exactly. He will be a terrible witness.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Watch the tape and see what happens when Feinstein asks Trump if he'd agree to a clean bill for DACA. He agreed until GOP McCarthy jumps in and reminds Trump that a clean bill doesn't include a wall. The dummy didn't understand what a 'clean' bill was.

Bi partisanship is a start...

Trump is talking to the democrats.

Not like when obama sneered and said...i won.... deal with it..

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    There is no way Ty Cobb would let Trump reply to written questions without vetting the answers.

If he agrees to a deposition, there will likely be lawyers and Trump cronies in the room (with flash cards and other prompts). So a video deposition would be a good idea, since it would reveal any shenanigans.

I doubt that Trump has the guts to testify under oath in a public forum, nor would his lawyers allow him to do so.

Trump needs to bring a bunch of lawyers and get the questions in advance,

Plead the 5th like lois did mocking the public.