Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random boat pictures

Default Re: Random boat pictures

More Port Townsend pics:
    IMG_1578.jpg
    I can't recall the little tug's name, but the canoe was "Haida".
    IMG_1585.jpg
    Alex Spear's "Vito Dumas"
    IMG_1588.jpg
    I've always loved Folkboats. Note the matching tender.
    IMG_1589.jpg
    There was a whole display on Vietnamese woven watercraft. Didn't get to see any in action.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post #1:
    I'm not certain of this design but it reminds me of the Dark Harbor. I think it was about 25' LOD but can't be certain. Pictures were taken in NE harbor Me. 1980.
    That's Cygnet, the only bright finished IOD in the Northeast Harbor Fleet. Sail number 12. I grew up on Greenings Island, directly between NEH and SWH, so I got to know the fleet pretty well. Blackjack is an old friend, too. You were just off my family's dock when you took the photo in Post #4. I can *almost* tell you the name of the launch in the second photo of Cygnet --it's tickling the back of my mind-- but not quite. She *might* be the Raven, but I don't think so.

Post #17
    Another picture of Greyling the sardine carrier at Mystic
    Actually, that's Gerda. She was a lighthouse tender used to smuggle jews from Denmark to Sweden in WW2.

Post #19
    The Joseph Conrad from the water.
    That isn't Conrad. Wrong color scheme, *much* too big, and she's got a turtleback over her poop. Maybe Wavertree? She was at South Street Seaport for quite a while, in just that state of downrig, and there was a good spot to get just that photo of her.

Post #29
    Adventuress and ???
    ...And Suva. You can tell her by that big varnished doghouse aft.

Alex

"That isn't Conrad. Wrong color scheme, *much* too big, and she's got a turtleback over her poop. Maybe Wavertree? She was at South Street Seaport for quite a while, in just that state of downrig, and there was a good spot to get just that photo of her."

One thing I can tell you for sure, that's not NYC. in the back ground. I'm pretty certain I took that picture in Mystic about 1995.

Nice pictures!

I do have to agree, the large square rigger is Wavertree.

Great photos. Thanks for posting.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

One thing I can tell you for sure, that's not NYC. in the back ground. I'm pretty certain I took that picture in Mystic about 1995.
    I don't mean to be aggressively contrary, but it's definitely Wavertree. I don't know exactly where the photo was taken, but having started work at Mystic's Shipyard in '97, I'd have heard about it if they had somehow got Wavertree up the river. Maybe she was having an overhaul somewhere... nearby?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavertree_(ship)

Maybe you had the photo filed wrong? Same trip, different day?

Please don't think me ungrateful for the photos, though. This is quite the aesthetically enjoyable thread.

Alex

I spotted the Sydney Princess on Friday, whilst out on a motorbike ride. She was built in Geelong in 1945 as a Customs launch, but spent many years as a commercial cruise boat on Sydney Harbour. Powered by a 245 hp 8 cylinder Rolls Royce diesel, she's currently moored at Spencer, on the Hawkesbury River

http://www.sydneyprincess.com.au/docs/MBSynan.pdf
    http://www.sydneyprincess.com.au/docs/History.pdf
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Alex,
    I have no doubt you guys know the correct ship, and my files have a close resemblance to a shoe box. Everything is good, I'm mostly here for entertainment.

Thanks for the picture BigFella, I'd love to be riding my bike right now as well but it's close to 20f. I rather be here using a sharpie.
    Last edited by navydog; 01-14-2018 at 12:29 PM.

youre right, the photo with the panel wagon is my favorite !

St Augustine Fl. 12/2017 Taken from the Castillo de San Marcos.