Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random boat pictures

Default Random boat pictures

I took pictures of the boats I liked a various times. I wish I took a lot more (and I had a lot more at one time) and did a better job documenting boats as I found them. Anyone can add boats to the thread if they are your own pictures. Please don't post other peoples pictures.

I'm not certain of this design but it reminds me of the Dark Harbor. I think it was about 25' LOD but can't be certain. Pictures were taken in NE harbor Me. 1980.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Random boat pictures

The Blackjack, I guess she is about 32'. I had pictures taken from each angle but....
    NE Harbor, Me 1980

NE Harbor Me. was a treasure trove for wood boats at the time. Carolina D. 1980. I guess she is about 32' maybe a bit more. Very full design with a lot of room in her.

This is on Somes Sound Me. Sorry the picture is not better.

When I moved to Maryland I purchased this little center-boarder. She is 25' LOD about 8' beam. External cast iron ballast. The was no interior in the boat and was in pretty rough shape. I put a new lower stem and a new knee to make the boat usable. The keel was punky and checked up. I had to drill out the old centerboard pin that was in the iron ballast and replace it. I replaced the centerboard using 1/2" thick mild steel. Eventually John Griffiths bout the boat for a boat building school he started. I believe they replaced the keel and pretty much restored the boat. It's probably floating around the Chesapeake somewhere now.
    Last edited by navydog; 01-09-2018 at 09:51 PM.

When I opened up my own shop I built this Cats Paw dingy designed by Joel White. We used it around the creeks nearly every day and occasionally as a tender.

The man in the background is John Silverwood, the author of the book Black Wave. John owned the trimaran in the background.
    Black Wave is:"An exhilarating true-life adventure of one family’s extraordinary sea voyage of self-discovery and survival, tragedy and triumph"

This boat is a 30' Malabar Jr. I received this boat in exchange for my repair work on a Skipjack owned by an outdoor school. The skipjack was in really poor shape. Most of it was rotten and the boat only held together because of the large dimensions of the lumber used to build it. Eventually they gave up on the boat and bought a different skipjack.

I brought the sloop up from the South River and it started leaking pretty bad just south of Annapolis. I took the boat all the way up the Severn River and docked it at a local neighborhood dock until I had time to get set for the remaining trip to Rock Hall. I used sawdust pushed under the boat to temporally stop the leaks while it sat there at the dock.

I sold the boat and never worked on it.

This boat was an exhibit at the Mystic Seaport Museum. I was on board a trawler docked overnight at the museum this was our neighbor.

A few days before the Newport to Bermuda race I was on a boat in front of NY Yacht Club and this steam powered Side Wheeler came by.

This schooner was tied up in downtown Mystic while we were walking around looking for a place to eat.

This is the Sultana, a 52' LOD replica schooner. We crossed paths just north of the Bay Bridge above Annapolis Md.

The Sultana was built by: The Sultana Education Foundation traces its origins to a community effort to build a replica of the 1768 schooner SULTANA in Chestertown, Maryland, between 1997-2001. John Swain deserves most of the credit for the project.

http://sultanaeducation.org/about-su...ooner-sultana/

The boat you moored next to is Grayling: http://www.dhylanboats.com/restorations/grayling/
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    A few days before the Newport to Bermuda race I was on a boat in front of NY Yacht Club and this steam powered Side Wheeler came by.
    Mystic Seaport's SABINO
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

I'm not certain of this design but it reminds me of the Dark Harbor. I think it was about 25' LOD but can't be certain. Pictures were taken in NE harbor Me. 1980.
    International One Design: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_One_Design

The Blackjack, I guess she is about 32'. I had pictures taken from each angle but....
    NE Harbor, Me 1980
    Recently restored by and belongs to this organization: http://www.sailpowersteammuseum.org/...ip-sloops.html

I hope they saved some part of the old boat. They did do a nice job on her though. I recently found another Friendship sloop for sale. It looks like she is a lot better shape than Black Jack.

Another picture of Greyling the sardine carrier at Mystic

Thought this was a Tancook Whaler but I see it's a sloop so it's just another pretty double ended boat and a Freindship sloop.

The Joseph Conrad from the water.

From Mystic Seaport:
    "Joseph Conrad sailed under three flags before mooring permanently at Mystic Seaport in 1947. Built in Copenhagen in 1882 and named Georg Stage as a memorial to the young son of Frederik Stage, a prominent ship owner, the 111-foot vessel, one of the smallest full-rigged ships built in modern times, was designed to accommodate eighty boys in training for the Danish merchant service. From her launching until her sale in 1934, more than 4,000 cadets sailed in her for six-month training courses in the Baltic and North seas. Run down by a British freighter in 1905, the Georg Stage sank, taking 22 young men with her. However, she was raised and repaired and soon resumed her career."

This Lighthouse is over watching the entrance to Mystic and it's to pretty to leave out.

I figured everyone would get a kick out this picture. I use to load my little dory on the roof rack of my truck and take it to the local lakes and rivers. I could lean the boat against the back and then pull it up with a come-a-long. Normally i kept it on the Narrows on the back side of Mt Desert. I lived in a little one room school house back then in Lamoine, we moved to Seal Harbor eventually.

Usually I don't think of the USN as having wooden boats, but they still ran these Harbor Patrol boats and used them to train Midshipmen. I was with some friends and we saw these tied up to the USS Nimitz in NYC.

We were out by Block Island and this ship came into the harbor to dock. I don'y recall the name of this ship, I'm certain some one here will fill it in.

We were moored next to this boat in Newport and it was to pretty not to take a picture.

This is the boat we were cruising on from the Chesapeake to Newport, a 47' Jarvis Newman . I had the good fortune to travel as a guest.

Thought this was a Tancook Whaler but I see it's a sloop so it's just another pretty double ended boat and a Freindship sloop.
    Quoddy boat, sometimes called a pinky. Friendship sloop in the background.

Maybe we are talking about two different boats, or maybe not. I am referring to the double ended sloop that you initially thought was a Tancook Whaler. Maybe it was once. When I first visited Mystic Seaport about 1960 they had a Tancook Whaler (schooner). Then later the Seaport on further research determined that the Tancook Whaler/schooner was originally a sloop, and they rerigged it as a sloop.

Same boat?

Yes. I don't think it has as much sweep to the shear as a Tancook, (at least from this angle) so calling a Pinky probably is fine. These pictures are from 1995 and I haven't been to the museum since, so I can't recall what the museum thought it was.

Some images from Port Townsend in 2007:
    IMG_1575.jpg
    Unsure of the name
    IMG_1601.jpg
    Same boat, underway

IMG_1581.jpg
    Olympic, I think

IMG_1616.jpg
    Adventuress and ???

IMG_1606.jpg
    Everyone having a great weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by ahp View Post
    Maybe we are talking about two different boats, or maybe not. I am referring to the double ended sloop that you initially thought was a Tancook Whaler. Maybe it was once. When I first visited Mystic Seaport about 1960 they had a Tancook Whaler (schooner). Then later the Seaport on further research determined that the Tancook Whaler/schooner was originally a sloop, and they rerigged it as a sloop.

Same boat?
    I think when this boat was rigged as a schooner, it had a pinky stern built out over the rudder. According to Chappelle, they were locally called a Quoddy boat, carry-away boat, or pinky. The shape is similar to a pinky, but the hull is smaller and the boats were sloop rigged. This one has an unusual amount of rake in the stem.

• Home »
    • REGINA M., Carry Away Boat

$125.00
    Qty:
    Add to Cart

Email to a Friend

REGINA M., Carry Away Boat

Description

A 41' 6” Lubec carry-away boat or Quoddy boat, REGINA M, was built circa 1900 by Theodore Holmes. She was later rigged as a schooner. Plans drawn by Mystic Seaport staff in 1994.
    Type Fishing
    Date 1900
    Builder Holmes, Theodore
    Lines taken by Starr, Mark
    Plans drawn by Starr, Mark
    LOA 45’ 2”
    Beam 13’ 6”
    Plans include 5 sheets: lines, construction, offsets, sail, deck & hardware
    Source Daniel S. Gregory Ships Plans Library, Mystic Seaport Vessels & Small Craft Collection
    Previous order number 40.338
    Additional information Link

Nice pictures, it's always fun to be at a place that you can see great looking boats. That double ended boat looks like it has dory origins, what do they call it?

Hey thanks.

A few of my particular favorites from a recent Maine Boatbuilder's Show and the WoodenBoat Show:

The square rigger is Niagara, based outta Erie P.A. if you saw her at block island you're lucky, she's only been in salt water once.
    Nicholas