Thread: Installing hardware on replaced teak decks

Default Installing hardware on replaced teak decks

I looking for ideas on locating blind nuts and threaded backing plates to reinstall deck hardware on replaced teack decks on a Swan 45. Most of the hardware is attached to blind nuts or glassed in backing plates and I will need to center the new bolts over the old nuts
    carlos

Quote Originally Posted by Carlose1 View Post
    I looking for ideas on locating blind nuts and threaded backing plates to reinstall deck hardware on replaced teack decks on a Swan 45. Most of the hardware is attached to blind nuts or glassed in backing plates and I will need to center the new bolts over the old nuts
    carlos
    kind of like using dowel centers, Cut heads off some bolts, grind a point, make a pattern board, press down on points, drill holes, mark location so the pattern board will locate on deck to drill holes in exact location as the holes underneath the new deck boards. The same type of guide is used on cabinet doors but of course it's much smaller and made of clear plastic.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Default Re: Installing hardware on replaced teak decks

If you have access to the bottom of the deck drill pilot holes through the old holes. I think you would be better off breaking the old nuts out and replacing them with new nuts, washers and lock washers. Then re-drill the teak from the top with the proper size bit. I wouldn't try to use the old nuts. I doubt you would be able to drill pilot holes accurately enough to maintain the alignment required to start bolts into fixed nuts without having overly large bolt holes that would ruin the job.

Cut the new bolts off and grind them smooth to prevent inadvertent injury.

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    kind of like using dowel centers, Cut heads off some bolts, grind a point, make a pattern board, press down on points, drill holes, mark location so the pattern board will locate on deck to drill holes in exact location as the holes underneath the new deck boards. The same type of guide is used on cabinet doors but of course it's much smaller and made of clear plastic.

The voice of experience; an excellent technique.
    Chuck Hancock

If I'm reading it right..the teak deck is already in place. If you still have access to the underside, I d make a drill guide by center drilling a appropriate size bolt. Gently screw it up into the blind nut/backing plate, and drill up thru the new deck, marking the center of the replacement fastener.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Rock View Post
    The voice of experience; an excellent technique.
    "blind" usually means no access to the other side or from the other side I had that problem on my boat

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post

I have a bunch of these threaded "transfer punches" in various sizes, although I cut the " point" at 60 in a lathe to be dead center.
    For blind holes, another detail is to cut a "screwdriver slot" with a hacksaw just off center so you can quickly run them in or out. For an accurate transfer it helps if they are all the same height.

These kinds of blind and bonded in fittings are annoyingly common. I'm working on a mid-eighties Hylas 44 right now who's chain plates are permanently encapsulated in the topside laminate. One must just hope that the integrity of the s.s. not visible is good.
    Chuck Hancock

A lot of these are going to be stanchions. He will be lucky if he can reach and touch the locations they belong. Marking the location under the deck and finding it topside with enough precision to align boltholes isn't going to happen.

I would put reference marks on the GRP and note the distance and direction to the hole centres.If the new deck is already on place it might be too late now.