Thread: Help identifying this small aluminum tender/fishing boat

Default Help identifying this small aluminum tender/fishing boat

Hey There,
    I haven’t posted in 11 years it seems (!)
    Back then I was restoring a 23ft 1941 Mang wooden open launch.
    I got that done and now just picked up a small aluminum boat for me and the boy to fish from.
    This was on our local craigslist and it was cheap, and it’s watertight. I think the live well was added later. The discolored area on the seats are where the previous owner put some oddball swivel chairs with home made mounts on. I took those off.

I have a restored 1927 Johnson twin two cycle I plan on using with this boat,... I think it’s a three horse or so. It’s a little earlier era but it still should look cool. I plan on polishing the hull a little and maybe making some really basic slat type floors out of some Live Oak I have around.

I searched the interweb and there’s no real vintage aluminum boat forum I could find.
    So I figured I’d give it a whirl here. The data and manufacturer plates are long gone. I have no idea who made this stout little beastie but I’d love to know. Maybe some of y’all can help me with this.

(And if there’s a different forum I should be posting in,...do let me know)
    Here’s a few pix. Hopefully the details (like those rear hand grabs and the big lightening holes in the support plate for the transom, etc.) will indicate a manufacturer.
    Alumicraft?,...Grumman?,...Sears?...

Default Re: Help identifying this small aluminum tender/fishing boat

P.S. It’s 13’ 6” long overall with a 54” beam.
    The more I look at it, the more I am impressed with the design.
    Looks like this little guy took a lot of abuse from previous owners and it has survived. I am still wondering what all the holes everywhere were for,...and also that strange squarish horizontal thing mounted to the bow. What the heck was that for? Hmmm......

The bow thing is to hold a trolling motor, just like those big shiny bass fishing machines. It looks like it was heavily laden with goodies for serious fishing, including comfy seats fore and aft.
    -Dave

Thanks for the quick reply Dave,...yes, that makes sense about the trolling motor mount. I’ve never had one of those so I didn’t recognize it. I may get one in the future when this restoration is done,...but that goofy mount that looks like it was pounded out by a team of gorilla’s has got to go haha. I’ll try to work up something a little more in keeping with the age and style of this boat. Sure hope someone ID’s it. I’d love to know who made it.

Based solely on the formed internal ribs, I was going to say Grumman. But if it were that, there would be a thousand or so flush rivets along the bow and keel, so probably not Grumman. I think the key to ID will be the castings at the bow and corners.
    Chip

Yea, youíre quite possibly right about those castings being the tell tale. Thatís why I made it a point to show them close up. The other few things that are probably specific to manufacturer are those support bracing panels with the large holes, and probably to some extent that faded blue paint in the bilge. That looks like itís factory and might be a signature color or scheme specific to some certain maker.
    Just wondering,...is there a specific vintage aluminum site anywhere.?? I googled and found one,..but no one has posted in five years or more, ...: (.

Thereís got to be a main forum for these boats out there somewhere,...any ideas?

And Yea, I do agree about Grumman and the flush rivets. I’ve got a vintage canoe of theirs and the whole thing is flush rivets everywhere, and it has those formed ribs you mention too.

https://www.fiberglassics.com/ has an aluminum boat forum and a lot of knowledgeable people. Doug

Thanks Doug,
    I tried to join that group,...no dice. I keep getting an error message. I have tried ten ways to Sunday and there’s simply something wrong with how it’s viewing me and my inputs. I can’t join. Is there some trick?

Did you get it from a longtime owner? Did you get find it where you are located? This sort of boat is often regional, and more so years ago; Lund in Minnesota, Starcraft in Indiana, Wa****a (sp?) in the Gulf States being examples.

Wouldn't the registration tell you the manufacturer?
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Good points.
    But I have zero info on the history of this boat other than “My dad got it a long time a go from some guy he worked with” and that’s about it. The kid said his dad got it years ago for him and his sister to row around in the lake in their back yard. They seemed fairly well off folks so I doubt there’s anything at play here other than just an old boat that has lost its chain of registration/papers along the way. The kids are now college age and had outgrown it. There was a few really “nice” (big) modern boats around so this forlorn little guy was like the old broken down kids toy now forgotten in the weeds.

There was no paperwork at all, not even a registration for the trailer. I got a bill of sale only. (That’s all you need here in AL to get the trailer registered and tagged.) The trailer is home made and has no numbers or VIN tag on it anywhere. The boat doesn’t have anything other than the registration number on the bow,..a GA number I guess from the looks of it.
    I wonder if I can do anything with that number? How would I go about looking that up?

I was final able to get into that other site someone mentioned and am pending as a member. When the Admin approves me I’ll post over there too.

I just googled ”Vintage boat manufacturer’s in Georgia” and came up with Feathercraft.
    Googling Feathercraft got me a lot of pictures of somewhat similar boats,...even a shot of one with that same blue paint in the bilge. But nothing exact, nor any shots of castings like are on mine. Possible manufacturer but not for sure by any means. The hunt continues.

Go here to start with your search. Georgia requires the make of the boat for it to be registered.
    http://georgiawildlife.com/boating/registration
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Might there be some identification on the underside of those castings ?

I’ll have to say the guys over on the “Iboats” web site are very good in identifying vintage aluminum boats.
    Nice little boat, it would clean up quite nicely.

I have to think that this isn't the right forum for an aluminum boat. We do digress from time to time.

I googled images of feathercraft and looked for the castings and seats. No luck with the seats, but the castings lead to Sea King from either Sears or Wards and a Meyers boat with the same bow casting. Also http://www.castlecraft.com/laker_meyers.htm

The seats look like they are not connected to the sides of the boat and may have some spring to the mounting. There are few stiffeners and smooth skin without pressed in rib stiffeners. That indicates to me that it is an early model with some expensive features like a thick skin and the complicated seat support. Those would fall victim to the bean counters and be replaced by less expensive features.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/ Maybe try there, I don't read that forum but had seen it before for some reason and this thread reminded me. Big question were they being self depreciating naming their forum or simply unable to spell aluminum? I kid, I kid.

I think we have a winner !!
    Someone suggested Meyers because they saw a similar bow casting.
    I followed that up with a long image search and found three images that pretty much convince me that itís a vintage Meyers.
    Hereís the images,...three different boats,..all have the castings, and the hand hold casting in the back, the blue paint, and one shows a transom bracket with the same lightening holes as mine. The seats all look similar as well as the basic lines of the boat, the spray rail, and the rub rail extrusions are the same too.
    I think itís a Meyers.

And thatís good news,...Meyers was a quality manufacturer and the hulls are formed in just two pieces, and then welded down the center,...then the center is covered with an extrusion for protection. No wonder this little guy has no leaks. Definitely worth restoring.

I know this isnít the place for aluminum boats, so I thank the community for putting up with me. From my past experience posting here when restoring the 41 Mang, I just knew this place was full of good guys who would help me out,...even if it wasnít made of wood this time, haha.

Iíll post a pic in the spring when itís all fixed up and done.

Thanks again.
    Steve