Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh puhleeeze, not another celebrity Presidential candidate!

Default Re: Oh puhleeeze, not another celebrity Presidential candidate!

The biggest celebrity in the world after WW2 was Eisenhower.
    What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I think, Norm, that name recognition isn't a "must have," but it can be a very cost-efficient shortcut. The name must have cachet because it builds the image and the brand, of course: no Bush scion is gonna get nominated as a Democrat; no Obama as a Republican.

I agree about Biden and Warren - the nominee must reflect a different generation, a different time period in American politics. But I wonder who will be able to quickly capture the imagination of "independents" in swing-state middle-America. Frankly, if the #metoo stuff doesn't settle down, any man who tosses his hat in had better be as squeaky clean as Obama.
    "Squeaky Clean"? That didn't help him, and it seems that enough GOP voters no longer care about decency and civil behaviour.
    I presume that no one is expecting the missing 40%+ to turn up next time either, they obviously don't care who is in power.

How much money did Oprah inherit?

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    How much money did Oprah inherit?
    Unless her mother cleaned a lot of houses, not much!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post

Who did you have in mind?
    Sen. Cory Brooker (D-NJ) could be an interesting choice... despite the fact of his (sorry guys, but you know how it goes...) Newark NJ and Democratic machine "upbringing", he seems to have remained remarkably "clean" and in the 2020 erec... I mean, election, that may count for much more than ideology. (He does seem to be a pretty digestible ideologic pill for the Democrats, come to think of it...)

The Rock? Oh, my. I'd rather Ken Wanatabe!

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Isn't one enough?

As a result of Oprah's speech at the Golden Globe awards, some people are talking up Oprah for President in 2020.

Now, I like Oprah... certainly, a highly accomplished person, in a number of related fields... but haven't we learned our lesson, with Trump?

Even Dwayne Johnson ('the Rock') is talking like he might run.

Is this what the demise of the United States of America looks like, in the future? Leadership by celebrity?

Well the US did fight to get out from under the British Monarchy and Westminster form of Government.

Maybe US politics is now maturing?
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Well the US did fight to get out from under the British Monarchy and Westminster form of Government.

Maybe US politics is now maturing?
    And have to deal with Brexit? No thank you, that's another can of worms!

Oprah is ten times the man that Trump is

The pendulum is likely to swing very far in the other direction, she just might win.

If my only choices are Oprah or another 4 years of Trump, I'm with Oprah, no questions asked.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Biden is not my first choice but I think he has a certain toughness, at least in image, that just might appeal to certain near righties. There's still way too many people that see the world through a John Wayne style lens of machismo and Biden might be "man" enough to capture a bit of the middle. Plus, he is in a position to go full Bullworth during campaigning and take the fight to Trump without regard for anything other than this election. This is not a luxury I see the other names mentioned having.

I would love to see any one of the younger democrats listed get the DNC nomination but thinking strategically I'll take anyone who can beat Trump, Oprah included.

Norm, you haven’t learned that voting the person not the party is not viable? You’ve said this in the past. Every reep in the senate voted for the tax giveaway and the few in the house from your state and mine voted against it to save their skins. You need to get with the times.

Last year libs hated bannon and said he was a liar, now libs believe himLOL
    Nope, the "libs" are still aghast at the idea that a man like Bannon, never mind Trump, could get within 1000ft of the white house, but thanks to yokels like you, he did. What "libs" find very satisfying is that Trump, a man who claims to pick the best people, picked a man who would turn on him so viciously. I'll let you guess; which of his family do you thing will flip on Trump when Muller decides to turn the screws. You see, purchased loyalty only goes so far. What's the price of freedom? Trumps head on a platter.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    If my only choices are Oprah or another 4 years of Trump, I'm with Oprah, no questions asked.
    Yeah but, like HC, Oprah is not electable.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

A sewer rat would be a better president than the current nutjob or his deputy. Isn't it time the US elected someone with at least half a brain and an idea? Of all the billionaires over there available, Oprah would get my vote.

Reece Witherspoon makes reference to the before Oprah (speech) era to the after Oprah era - BO to AO. Seems apt if applied to a successful run for president.

Rick

Last year libs hated bannon and said he was a liar, now libs believe himLOL
    Think you got that ass backwards bobbys. I disliked bannon for the truth about his intentions. Bannon would be a great member of the Nazi party.
    Tom L

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lathrop View Post
    Think you got that ass backwards bobbys. I disliked bannon for the truth about his intentions. Bannon would be a great member of the Nazi party.

Groan, not the nazi card again.........

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Nope, the "libs" are still aghast at the idea that a man like Bannon, never mind Trump, could get within 1000ft of the white house, but thanks to yokels like you, he did. What "libs" find very satisfying is that Trump, a man who claims to pick the best people, picked a man who would turn on him so viciously. I'll let you guess; which of his family do you thing will flip on Trump when Muller decides to turn the screws. You see, purchased loyalty only goes so far. What's the price of freedom? Trumps head on a platter.

Libs are mad when trump hires someone and mad when he fires someone...........

Libs are mad when trump hires someone and mad when he fires someone...........
    They are? I remember many rejoicing when Bannon left the WH. Now hiring the wack job certainly wasn't the brightest move, but who expects intelligence from a man who inherited millions & went bankrupt 4 times?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    They are? I remember many rejoicing when Bannon left the WH. Now hiring the wack job certainly wasn't the brightest move, but who expects intelligence from a man who inherited millions & went bankrupt 4 times?
    ETA: While I'd rather see someone else - Oprah over Trump? Well, duh...

Trump never went bankrupt.

No he didn't, but didn't he have help staying solvent?

Maybe you have not noticed he won the presidency from the worlds snartest woman...

Who were her advisers that told her to call voters .. deplorables, run hit pieces, not campain in certain states that had the electorical votes..

Maybe you have not noticed he won the presidency from the worlds snartest woman...

Who were her advisers that told her to call voters .. deplorables, run hit pieces, not campain in certain states that had the electorical votes..
    HRC is the world's smartest woman? Never knew that. I thought she was of average intelligence - maybe a bit above - but got some deplorable advice.

HRC is the world's smartest woman? Never knew that. I thought she was of average intelligence - maybe a bit above - but got some deplorable advice.
    She's heck a lot smarter than your idol. His vocabulary would be competitive with a 5 yr old and that says something bobbys.

He got the 9 million through his father that was part of his inheritance. He just got it sooner then designed.

Sure, so we can agree now that he never filed for bankruptcy.

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    She's heck a lot smarter than your idol. His vocabulary would be competitive with a 5 yr old and that says something bobbys.

How is she smarter?

Quote Originally Posted by delecta View Post
    Sure, so we can agree now that he never filed for bankruptcy.

You need to know it changes with thses libs.

First he was handed the money , then he lost it but rebuilt but it was still all handed to him., he went bankrupt and was dumb but rebuilt 100 times from nothing but is still dumb. Get it?.

Oprah is too smart to run but that would not stop her from stringing the idea along to possibly make her the King or Queen maker for the Democratic party.

Russian oligarchs bought early and often when Trump Tower was trolling for wealthy people who would buy apartments, it is common knowledge that it kept the Trump apparatus afloat. During one of his company's bankruptcies for $500 million there was a joke that he and Marla Maples were walking down a NYC street and saw some destitute beggar on the street corner. " See that guy? " he said to Marla, " He's worth half a billion bucks more than I am ".

Ignore boobys ( oops,'scuse me ), I have.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Russian oligarchs bought early and often when Trump Tower was trolling for wealthy people who would buy apartments, it is common knowledge that it kept the Trump apparatus afloat. During one of his company's bankruptcies for $500 million there was a joke that he and Marla Maples were walking down a NYC street and saw some destitute beggar on the street corner. " See that guy? " he said to Marla, " He's worth half a billion bucks more than I am ".

Ignore boobys ( oops,'scuse me ), I have.

So you admit it was not his fathers money , he rebuilt from scratch., in fact from being more broke then a begger., pretty smart guy!

So you admit it was not his fathers money , he rebuilt from scratch., in fact from being more broke then a begger., pretty smart guy!
    What's to admit, Trump was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, his daddy gave him a lot of money which he squandered on poor business deals his companies went bankrupt and he literally had to sell everything but his Chinese made suits and his underwear. Not once but, 6 times. But, he's a very successful businessman right bobbys?

I think the real reason that so many voted for Trump and would now consider Oprah is that we're so tired of all the politicians who make their careers in Washington. They've all sold out after a few terms and none of us, Dems or Repubs, find inspiration with any of them. I hate Trump, but he beat the 16 others only because he was not one of them. I'm a liberal Dem, but Shumer , Pelosi, Biden etc. need to step aside and they just won't go. Many of Trump's base actually voted for Obama because he was new and different, a first term senator not yet corrupted. We have a terrible system and the proof is that we are now looking for people from the outside to serve. I'd urge younger Governors, Senators , house members to run early before you have to sell your soul, otherwise I'm an Oprah voter.

Many of Trump's base voted for Obama?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.