Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh puhleeeze, not another celebrity Presidential candidate!

Default Oh puhleeeze, not another celebrity Presidential candidate!

Isn't one enough?

As a result of Oprah's speech at the Golden Globe awards, some people are talking up Oprah for President in 2020.

Now, I like Oprah... certainly, a highly accomplished person, in a number of related fields... but haven't we learned our lesson, with Trump?

Even Dwayne Johnson ('the Rock') is talking like he might run.

Is this what the demise of the United States of America looks like, in the future? Leadership by celebrity?

"Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Default Re: Oh puhleeeze, not another celebrity Presidential candidate!

have you ever seen Idiocracy norman? it's a glimpse of the future.

A (random) Kardashian?
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    have you ever seen Idiocracy norman? it's a glimpse of the future.
    Yes, I did see it. It explains Donald Trump, quite accurately.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

A lot of people wanted Charles Lindbergh for President.

"Anyone but a politician" is the populists' cry though I don't think a black woman will get much of the alt-right vote.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Itís got electrolytes!

Peace,
    Robert

Let Arnie run, at least he'll have some good one-liners.
    Nosce te ipsum

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Does this mean Oprah will have to marry her FRIEND of how many years?I don't care but, the rabid religious right might have something to say about living in sin.

Maybe Ellen Degeneres could get a Cabinet Post, eh? Obama for SCOTUS f'sure.

A successful buisness person who earned it all without dads name or money? No bankruptcy or scandals? I’m a dem but would have had no problem with a legitimate real estate magnate who wasn’t a Russian plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Isn't one enough?

As a result of Oprah's speech at the Golden Globe awards, some people are talking up Oprah for President in 2020.

Now, I like Oprah... certainly, a highly accomplished person, in a number of related fields... but haven't we learned our lesson, with Trump?

Even Dwayne Johnson ('the Rock') is talking like he might run.

Is this what the demise of the United States of America looks like, in the future? Leadership by celebrity?

Who did you have in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Boater14 View Post
    A successful buisness person who earned it all without dads name or money? No bankruptcy or scandals? I’m a dem but would have had no problem with a legitimate real estate magnate who wasn’t a Russian plant.
    Same here. I may be considered a 'flaming liberal' here in the bilge, but I have voted Republican, on occasion. I voted for Charlie Baker for Governor, frankly, based on my dislike of his opponent... but I'm pleased with the result. Baker is certainly a Republican, but he's a Republican unlike any other I've encountered. He governs with thought and moderation, considering the issues, and NEVER spouting off right wing ideology. He spends an hour on a local noon-time radio talk show, once a month, and it's hard not to be impressed with the way he considers the issues rationally, non-ideologically, never dismissing anyone's contrary opinions based on purely political considerations.

I can't say I agree with all of his positions... in particular, I oppose his support of charter schools... but I don't think anyone should expect to be in complete agreement with everything an elected leader does or says. It's sufficient to me, that he approaches governance sensibly, and non-ideologically.

I'd love to see him take a shot at the Presidency... but contemporary Republican politics being what it is, he wouldn't have a chance. It's a shame... he compiled a stellar record for competent management while the head of Harvard Pilgrim health care, and as far as I can tell, he's got no adverse baggage.

Don’t worry, Norm, Oprah will be great.

You get healthcare, and you get healthcare, and you get healthcare...

Peace,
    Robert

She is already s front runner.

Too bad ivanka will debate her .

O can cry on cue and she does have stedman and winestien and hollywood , tough to beat .

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post

Peace,
    Robert
    Ok Rob that was coffee through the nose splatter screen brilliant
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Ok Rob that was coffee through the nose splatter screen brilliant

Thank you. Even a broken clock and all, eh?

Peace,
    Robert

You do know that this started out as a joke, right?
    Steve Martinsen

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post

Peace,
    Robert

I thought it was a free car..

And you wanna be my political guru?. Joke, truce still on....

Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate! Please not another celebrity Presidential candidate!
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post

Too bad ivanka will debate her .

Bannon’s “dumb as a brick” Ivanka? Debating Oprah? Now that would be something to see! Too bad trump will be long gone by 2020. We’ll have to settle for Oprah debating someone else.
    Bannon has tried to walk it back with don jr but he’s letting his Ivanka assessment stand.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Bannon’s “dumb as a brick” Ivanka? Debating Oprah? Now that would be something to see! Too bad trump will be long gone by 2020. We’ll have to settle for Oprah debating someone else.
    Bannon has tried to walk it back with don jr but he’s letting his Ivanka assessment stand.

Last year libs hated bannon and said he was a liar, now libs believe himLOL

America likes a proven formula. A celebrity with pre-existing name recognition has an advantage, however they got their celebrity.

Schwarzenegger. Reagan. On a lesser scale, Clint Eastwood, even Al Franken. Hell, Hillary became a nominee because of her name. Think of the Bush tribe, or the Kennedy family. Their name recognition sure helped.

I hope it won't be Oprah, because it will harden the split with Republican base voters like little else - a female, Black, liberal do-gooder? Who liked Clinton, and probably will have Clinton support?

She'd win the popular vote, but maybe not the College. And the opposition would be unbelievable.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Our billionaire reality TV candidate versus our current president?

One thing the incumbent has shown is that it is important to set the tone. Oprah's tone and cultural standards are clearly far more advanced than our current president's. You might even say Obama-like. You could make the argument that she would set a lofty tone and that the right appointments to the Cabinet, various agencies, and the judiciary would be enough.

But here is where I have a problem: the Putin/ISIS factor. Whoever the Dems nominate has got to have gravitas with foreign policy, because it is a dangerous world. In that regard, Oprah doesn't quite cut it.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Yeah, lets really have some fun. Mark Cuban VS Oprah.

Do that and you'll see Norm vote Republican once again

Dr. Phil for Surgeon General?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    You could make the argument that she would set a lofty tone and that the right appointments to the Cabinet, various agencies, and the judiciary would be enough.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by delecta View Post
    Yeah, lets really have some fun. Mark Cuban VS Oprah.

Oh, now a mind reader are you?Firstly Oprah would probably be running against the golden haired stable genius unless he finds himself behind bars along with his spawn.

I'm so glad you became I liberal Jamie.

Mark Cuban makes a hell of a lot more sense than our current president, and he may primary him.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by delecta View Post
    Not unless that Republican is Charlie Baker. There isn't a single other Republican in national politics I'd vote for, even with a gun to my head.

Oh, I think Oprah would make good appointments, and take good advice. Not sure how she'd do as CIC, but to be frank, I've thought for decades now that America's fascination with the CIC power of the President was too great - there's nothing like the same focus in the UK, or Canada, or most any other nation which comes to mind that you'd like to stand with.

I just think that the Ted Cruz or Jeff Sessions or Mitch McConnell brands will still be prominent in the GOP at that point, and will not have any interest whatever working with Oprah Winfrey, who, at best, they'll consider a frothy know-nothing. If the stated objective was to make Obama a 1-term President because he was (let's be PC) ... a ... community organizer, hence a political lightweight ... why would they be any better with Oprah? After the breakdown in norms of this Presidency especially?

If the Dems run a woman in 2020, I think she probably needs to be white or Hispanic, and have both name recognition and a solid political track record. Governor, Senator, something. And frankly, Elizabeth Warren isn't her; I dunno who might be. Frankly, I think it would be a risk.

I don't know who the Dems might have as a male candidate with enough background and name recognition - Chuck Schumer? Cory Booker? I dunno if either would stand a chance of winning a tossup state in middle-America. If Cory and Oprah ran on the same ticket, maybe - but I dunno. And I dunno whose name would have to be the headliner - my sense is that Oprah wouldn't run as somebody's VP.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Not unless that Republican is Charlie Baker. There isn't a single other Republican in national politics I'd vote for, even with a gun to my head.
    I think you're Crystal has a crack in it delecta!

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I don't know who the Dems might have as a male candidate with enough background and name recognition - Chuck Schumer? Cory Booker?
    I think Obama proved that name recognition, at this point in the cycle, doesn't mean much. Almost nobody knew who Obama was, until about 15 months before the election.

I would infinitely prefer a new, young, relatively fresh face. Kamala Harris, Gavin Newsom, Seth Moulton, are just a few possibilities.... I don't want to see anyone from the 'old' Democratic party running, because they've all been trashed already, whether justifiably or not. Certainly, NOT Biden, nor Warren.

I think, Norm, that name recognition isn't a "must have," but it can be a very cost-efficient shortcut. The name must have cachet because it builds the image and the brand, of course: no Bush scion is gonna get nominated as a Democrat; no Obama as a Republican.

I agree about Biden and Warren - the nominee must reflect a different generation, a different time period in American politics. But I wonder who will be able to quickly capture the imagination of "independents" in swing-state middle-America. Frankly, if the #metoo stuff doesn't settle down, any man who tosses his hat in had better be as squeaky clean as Obama.