Thread: Chromebook Question

Default Chromebook Question

To those more knowledgeable about computers:

I have an Acer Chromebook, several years old, that has now started behaving differently - not on the screen or in any kind of software function, but the hardware. It gets hotter, and the battery runs down faster. It didn't used to feel very warm, now it's quite noticeable - not unpleasant in the winter, but time before recharging is about half of what it was. I don't need a small electric knee heater. Any ideas?
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Default Re: Chromebook Question

Have you opened it up and blown the dust out? That can make a lot of difference in some laptops.

you could also try using a small hand vac over the vents.

One more thing to consider - the motherboard insolation tape on the chrome book may have compressed in use and transit as well causing higher heat rises and then delivery slower performance from the video chips, ram memory and the main chips.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    To those more knowledgeable about computers:

I have an Acer Chromebook, several years old, that has now started behaving differently - not on the screen or in any kind of software function, but the hardware. It gets hotter, and the battery runs down faster. It didn't used to feel very warm, now it's quite noticeable - not unpleasant in the winter, but time before recharging is about half of what it was. I don't need a small electric knee heater. Any ideas?
    We also have one, that sits on the kitchen table... at least 3-4 years old. However, we rarely ever use the battery.... it remains plugged in almost all the time. On rare occasions, my wife might take it into the living room when she wants to do something that involves typing, since typing on an iPad is horrible.

It's best to view Chromebooks as 'disposable' electronics.... they're cheap enough, and a battery replacement would be disproportionately expensive, so when the battery reaches end-of-life, it's probably most practical to just chuck it, and get a new one.

I haven't priced them lately, but I recall paying $199 for ours... we'd spend that much in two trips to the sushi restaurant
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Dust is the likely culprit. Open it up and give it a good dusting and you should be fine.
    I run a gaming laptop from ASUS and it has two large fans to cool it, and I'm always amazed at just how much they manage to pick up. I pop the fan covers off of mine every three months or so, and the entire back twice a year.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Dust is the likely culprit. Open it up and give it a good dusting and you should be fine.
    I run a gaming laptop from ASUS and it has two large fans to cool it, and I'm always amazed at just how much they manage to pick up. I pop the fan covers off of mine every three months or so, and the entire back twice a year.
    I don't know about Keith's Chromebook... but mine has no fan. These things are rather 'minimal' in terms of performance and power... truthfully, they're basically just 'browsers'. There are no 'native' apps... instead, you use web-based apps from Google, for things like word processing or spreadsheets.

We consider it just a convenient device for web browsing, and have never used the web-based apps. Frankly, the Amazon Echo, which is located in the kitchen very near the Chromebook, is easier to use, for the sorts of things we might want to know... "Alexa, what time is the Patriots game today?" is the sort of thing that, previously, we might have Googled on the Chromebook.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

I'll certainly blow it out - but while dust on the heat sinks would make it run hotter, (no fans, as far as I can tell) why would it make the thing use more electricity?

Point taken about disposable electronics; I think the thing was about $250 - but it still works perfectly and is more than fast enough for anything I do with it, really just web browsing. I'd rather keep it. Maybe if I can't fix the problem I'll just keep it plugged in and run it off AC.

I'm old enough and enough of a Luddite to be a little creeped out by Alexa. No thanks.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I'll certainly blow it out - but while dust on the heat sinks would make it run hotter, (no fans, as far as I can tell) why would it make the thing use more electricity?

Point taken about disposable electronics; I think the thing was about $250 - but it still works perfectly and is more than fast enough for anything I do with it. I'd rather keep it. Maybe if I can't fix the problem I'll just keep it plugged in and run it off AC.
    I'd agree that the somewhat limited performance isn't really a problem, depending, of course, on it's intended use... as a web browser, it's more or less just fine.

I have no idea what a battery replacement would cost, but I would tend to think it wouldn't be economical... at least $100, which is too high a percentage of the original price, IMHO.

Meanwhile, and please excuse the thread drift... one of my monitors here in the office (I use 4 monitors on my PC) is dying. I took a quick look at replacements, on Amazon; I haven't bought a new monitor in years... and was amazed to see that you can buy a 32" high def (1920 x 1080) monitor these days for not much more than $225 or thereabouts. Amazing!
    --- Charles Pierce

Not all Chromebooks are activity cooled, good point. If Keith's isn't, then the answer is simple. . . it's getting ready to explode.
    Nosce te ipsum

You might try doing a clean install of your browser(s). Some plug-ins are power-hungry, and don't play well with the OS.

Or maybe it's just that your system is working really hard, mining bitcoin and solving encryption codes for the Russian mafia.

I don't know about batteries for ChromeBooks, but I've bought batteries for a couple laptops for less than $30 each on Amazon. Doug

I've been through a lot of electronics cell phones laptops pads notebooks Heat usually means it's on its last life unlike like a cat they don't have 9.

https://support.google.com/chromeboo...H6yXyqE/?hl=en

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Well, a curious development. There was a system update when I restarted the thing. Now it isn't getting hot, only very slightly warm as previously, and power consumption seems normal. Odd. Problems that seem to fix themselves always make me a bit nervous.

Or maybe it's just finished with the bitcoin mining calculations.

Richard Feynman

Meltdown and Spectre were two recent severe malware incidents that actually affected Intel chip architecture. Chrome has been patched, but the developers have said that the fix might bog down your computer. Perhaps this was the problem? Norman had a thread on it a couple days ago.
    Steve Martinsen

Latest developments: After the update, both heat generation and power consumption are back to normal levels - or maybe even a little better. No, I don't have any idea why.

Richard Feynman

My guess is Google pushed out a quick fix for Intel's 'speculative execution' flaw.. and then made a better one. Checking on that shouldn't be too difficult. I'll wager Google is nothing if not quick to do security updates on their products. I do know they were unhappy that older versions of Android (<6, IIRC) did not allow them to force updates past the providers wall (Verizon/AT&T/Sprint etc).

Nosce te ipsum