Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Movie errors

Default Re: Movie errors

not many sailing errors here
    No, just an egregiously bad adaptation. The sailing shots are the only parts worth watching. Turn the sound off, project the sailing shots on your wall, and read the book.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post

If you watch the movie closely you can see several instances where the film inadvertently shows Americans escaping in the famous March, 1944 break out from the German stalag in Poland.
    and McQueen is riding a Triumph, not often used in the WW2 Wehrmacht.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    and McQueen is riding a Triumph, not often used in the WW2 Wehrmacht.
    And it probably makes two-stroke trail bike ring-ga-dingdingding exhaust noises, like every other movie motorcycle .

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    When aircraft wings were sent to Nam they were also referred to as "deployments."
    This guy was a PFC Groundpounder.

Babe Ruth never wore eye black. Ruth Buzzi, however, did.

Eye black entered professional football in 1942.

I always thought one should suspend belief when reading books or watching performances , TV, or movies.
    Life is complex.

I seem to remember a TV show where the distinct sound of a pump shotgun being racked back was heard just as the hero raised a sawed off side by side....

Big Lebowski -- the most epic film of all time? Of course! But is it error free? I thought not -- but I was wrong!

When we see Bunny Lebowski driving (and singing along with THE KING) her red XJS convertible, the camera cuts down to the pedals, so that we can see that she does, indeed, still have all her toes. As it pans across, we see her left foot resting on the clutch, then the brake pedal, then her right foot on the accelerator. Sure, disappointing to learn that Tara Reid is a clutch rider, but more importantly, I thought the XJS was never sold with a standard.

I did a little research though, and found that a Getrag 5sp was offered on the 6 cyl cars in 1994 only -- and that about 100 were sold in the US. So there you go, the Coen brothers crowning achievement is not just the greatest movie of all time, it is also the most technically accurate -- of course.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by moTthediesel View Post
    Big Lebowski -- the most epic film of all time? Of course! But is it error free? I thought not -- but I was wrong!

When we see Bunny Lebowski driving (and singing along with THE KING) her red XJS convertible, the camera cuts down to the pedals, so that we can see that she does, indeed, still have all her toes. As it pans across, we see her left foot resting on the clutch, then the brake pedal, then her right foot on the accelerator. Sure, disappointing to learn that Tara Reid is a clutch rider, but more importantly, I thought the XJS was never sold with a standard.

I did a little research though, and found that a Getrag 5sp was offered on the 6 cyl cars in 1994 only -- and that about 100 were sold in the US. So there you go, the Coen brothers crowning achievement is not just the greatest movie of all time, it is also the most technically accurate -- of course.

Tom
    Yeah, well, that’s just, like, you’re opinion, man.

Peace,
    Walter, definitely Walter...

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    Any aviation movie scene ever made is filled with them.
    I don't know how many times people have asked me if we really played loud speakers like in Apocalypse Now.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    I don't know how many times people have asked me if we really played loud speakers like in Apocalypse Now.
    Just tell them, “Only on missions we flew close air support for surfing.”

Peace,
    Robert

Good one.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

^ Love that movie. My favorite Duvall role too, all 12 minutes of it.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    Good one.
    Please report back when someone asks, “Really?”

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    ^ Love that movie. My favorite Duvall role too, all 12 minutes of it.
    I still shake my head when I think that it was nominated for Best Picture in 1980.

We had a guy on the forum some years back who used a picture of Duvall in a Cav hat from that role as his avatar and professed to have been the 2nd in command of a 1st Cav outfit that I supported on numerous occasions. A non pilot in an aviation unit smelled bad so I tracked down a flight school classmate who was in that unit at the time. He'd never heard of such a joke. "Stolen Valor all the way" was his response. TANSTAAFO or some such.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Yeah, well, that’s just, like, you’re opinion, man.

Peace,
    Walter, definitely Walter...
    You're out of your element, Robbie!

Quote Originally Posted by moTthediesel View Post
    You're out of your element, Robbie!
    Sorry. I’m not housebroken.

Peace,
    Nihilist

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

When we see two rings for someone lookin through binocs .

Has anyone in the history of film ever been actually HIT by automatic weapon fire?

In film , one cannot count the seconds between lightning and thunder, as they happen simultaneously

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Has anyone in the history of film ever been actually HIT by automatic weapon fire?
    Hey, that reminds me. In Star Wars, the blaster marks on the Jawa crawler are supposedly too accurate to be Tusken raiders, so MUST be stormtrooper blasts.
    What? Stormtroopers are good shots? Not in the rest of the film.

Peace,
    The Guy Who Bonked His Head

I have heard that the firearm used in the famous "do you feel lucky punk" scene in the Dirty Harry movie was, in actuality, a .41 magnum, not a .44

Nope. S&W model 29 in 44 magnum. http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Dirty_Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Bet most didn't know that database existed.

I have heard that the firearm used in the famous "do you feel lucky punk" scene in the Dirty Harry movie was, in actuality, a .41 magnum, not a .44
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

However, the aircraft stolen by the James Garner and Donald Pleasence characters was an authentic German plane, a Bucker Bu 181 'Bestmann.'

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

It's hard to avoid anachronisms in movies. You have to decide if things like accuracy in chronology and the general depiction of events is more important than the choices of locale or the taste of armaments master. I think the most famous anachronism in the movie biz is how Forrest Gump got rich on Apple stock 20 years before there was an Apple.

I finally saw Dunkirk (home rental) and the anachronisms stood out pretty starkly. I granted liberties since they conveyed the feeling of being on the beach and what it must have felt like to be French just then. .

The best war movies I've seen always seem to involve Spielberg. Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Schindler's List get most of the small stuff right. Fury was good. The tanks looked like they should.

Two more peeves: sound in space and revolvers that click when you spin the cylinders.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 01-09-2018 at 03:24 PM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    There are films that I forbear watching because I know they'll have so many mistakes and misapprehensions and screenwriter whack-offs that I'll be really pissed off the whole time.

That Wyoming pop gripper, Wind River is at the top of my avoidance list right now. A white government trapper on the Wind River Rez? Protecting the helpless injuns from lions and tigers and bears?

Give me a f**king break.
    I watched that movie on a flight to Boston lately and even I, with basically zero knowledge of that area or culture, knew the premise was complete bs. It did help pass the flight time though. I just watched the revenant and felt pretty much the same way about that.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    WX mentioned in another thread that the movie “Dunkirk” had container terminals.

I watched a movie the other night (don’t recall title) with Brenden Fraser as a quarterback at a prep school. It was set in 1955 and although the football uniforms looked of their time, the players were all wearing eye black. Maybe it was a local thing, but I don’t remember any athletes wearing eye black in the fifties, did they?
    I would guess it was very common in the fifties, but that is admittedly a guess.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    This doesn’t jibe with the laws of physics. A ship in space will not stop if it’s engines stop burning. A body in motion stays in motion. With no atmospheric friction to slow it down it will just keep going. In real life a spaceship would fire its engines to get up to its travel speed and coast until it’s time to fire its engines to decelerate to its destination.
    Surely CWSmith is making fun here. Either that or Newton has been messing with us.
    Tom L

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    This doesn’t jibe with the laws of physics. A ship in space will not stop if it’s engines stop burning. A body in motion stays in motion. With no atmospheric friction to slow it down it will just keep going. In real life a spaceship would fire its engines to get up to its travel speed and coast until it’s time to fire its engines to decelerate to its destination.
    Not an expert on faster than light travel, but just guessing if you turn off the warp drive, you slow down. 😀

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

How about in the most recent Star Wars where they had to fly "bombers" directly over a space ship and then drop bombs using gravity onto the spaceship. Or when their craft ran out of fuel they immediately slowed down and stopped like a ship in water.

Or in the last one where the new "death star" is actually a planet complete with growing trees, even though it flies through space instead of orbiting a sun.