Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie errors

Default Movie errors

WX mentioned in another thread that the movie “Dunkirk” had container terminals.

I watched a movie the other night (don’t recall title) with Brenden Fraser as a quarterback at a prep school. It was set in 1955 and although the football uniforms looked of their time, the players were all wearing eye black. Maybe it was a local thing, but I don’t remember any athletes wearing eye black in the fifties, did they?

Default Re: Movie errors

We saw a teakettle whistling the other night in a movie. Only the spout’s lid with the whistle in it was already up. Pretty hard to get a whistling sound that way.

There was a movie I recently ignored because, in the trailer, a character said, " I was deployed to VietNam". Back then, you "did a tour" you weren't "deployed".

Speaking of such, I once read that "Freeze!" didn't become common police tactical vocabulary until after "The French Connection" became a hit movie.
    Вещи меняются 6 ноября.
    سيتم إجراء التاريخ في 6 نوفمبر
    歷史將於11月6日完成

역사는 11 월 6 일에 만들어 질 것입니다.

Some real doozies here..

It’s really hard to define ‘virtue signalling’, as I was saying the other day to some of my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop. (Lucy Porter 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    WX mentioned in another thread that the movie “Dunkirk” had container terminals.

I watched a movie the other night (don’t recall title) with Brenden Fraser as a quarterback at a prep school. It was set in 1955 and although the football uniforms looked of their time, the players were all wearing eye black. Maybe it was a local thing, but I don’t remember any athletes wearing eye black in the fifties, did they?
    babe ruth wore eye black
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    babe ruth wore eye black
    Didn’t know that. Maybe it just took a long time for the fad to get all the way out here to the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    There was a movie I recently ignored because, in the trailer, a character said, " I was deployed to VietNam". Back then, you "did a tour" you weren't "deployed".

Speaking of such, I once read that "Freeze!" didn't become common police tactical vocabulary until after "The French Connection" became a hit movie.
    What was the movie? I served on an LST from 1965 to 1969 and we carried cargo up the rivers and Mekong Delta. Our home port was San Diego and we "deployed" three times for periods of 9 to 10 months. Later served on a destroyer in 1971 in the Tonkin Gulf. These were all spoken of, described, etc. as deployments, even though the T operated "in country" a good deal of the time. Maybe its a service branch thing, Army and Marines doing "tours" and Navy being "deployed.'

One Foley Artist goof that's omnipresent is to dub in the sound of squealing tires when the cars are on a dirt road.

A recent movie, The Revenant, had so many offences against fact and history that the director should have been severely punished. But as usual, the dolts lapped it up.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

If you watch the movie closely you can see several instances where the film inadvertently shows Americans escaping in the famous March, 1944 break out from the German stalag in Poland.
    Last edited by JimD; 01-07-2018 at 01:43 PM.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    One Foley Artist goof that's omnipresent is to dub in the sound of squealing tires when the cars are on a dirt road.

A recent movie, The Revenant, had so many offences against fact and history that the director should have been severely punished. But as usual, the dolts lapped it up.
    I love foley work. I never did enough, but I’ve done some, and it’s great fun.

Peace,
    Aaaaiiii! (I’m falling)

One of my pet peeves is that spaceships need to have their engines burning in order to move. If their engines go out, they coast to a stop. Battlestar Gallactica did this all the time, but I also saw it in the Star Trek movie about the whales.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    One of my pet peeves is that spaceships need to have their engines burning in order to move. If their engines go out, they coast to a stop. Battlestar Gallactica did this all the time, but I also saw it in the Star Trek movie about the whales.
    Haha. Flying spaceships are funny, too. When they swoop with their wings.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. This reminds me of the kids in the punt the other day with their friend. She told them to put on the brakes, and they said, in unison, “Boats don’t have brakes.” Hehe.

Any aviation movie scene ever made is filled with them.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Isn't it possible to accelerate without propulsion by using gravity assist and planetary slingshots?
    It’s really hard to define ‘virtue signalling’, as I was saying the other day to some of my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop. (Lucy Porter 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post

If you watch the movie closely you can see several instances where the film inadvertently shows Americans escaping in the famous March, 1944 break out from the German stalag in Poland.
    That Triumph bike was post-war too.

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    That Triumph bike was post-war too.
    Yes, a 1961 TR6.

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    damn man, you just ruined fandango for me

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    Oh no! You mean the inverted DC 9 (or what ever it was supposed to be) maneuver Denzel flew in "Flight" may not be real? I am aghast!

Last edited by Bob Adams; 01-07-2018 at 02:57 PM.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    Oh no! You mean the inverted DC 9 maneuver Denzel flew in "Flight" may not be real? I am aghast!
    I thought he was referring to the sound stage seats and aisles being so much bigger than a real plane.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I thought he was referring to the sound stage seats and aisles being so much bigger than a real plane.
    Definite fantasy!!!
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

I have lost count of the number of times I've sat through a car chase on gravel tracks that has the tyres squealing.

I love those old movies from the 40s or whatever where the camera is showing a driver in a car sawing away at the wheel and the backdrop is rock steady.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

All is Lost.

My pet peeve: Any movie with horses, all foley artists are apparently legally obligated to dub in a whinny whenever the horses appear. (Horses only whinny in certain circumstances, and they don't do it nearly so often as non-horse people seem to imagine they do.)

More appropriate to the Forum, it's a rare movie where the boats "under sail" aren't moving under power --and obviously so (sails flapping, or even held aback), if you know anything of sailboats.

Alex

One of my pet peeves is that spaceships need to have their engines burning in order to move. If their engines go out, they coast to a stop.
    This doesn’t jibe with the laws of physics. A ship in space will not stop if it’s engines stop burning. A body in motion stays in motion. With no atmospheric friction to slow it down it will just keep going. In real life a spaceship would fire its engines to get up to its travel speed and coast until it’s time to fire its engines to decelerate to its destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    More appropriate to the Forum, it's a rare movie where the boats "under sail" aren't moving under power --and obviously so (sails flapping, or even held aback), if you know anything of sailboats.

Alex

The boats in Game Of Thrones are especially bad at this. Some of them even have their frames on the outside of their planking!

not many sailing errors here

Just about two weeks ago I saw a TV movie where on one scene (three shots from diff angles) the same woman had gloves on, then off and then on again.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryrichter View Post
    What was the movie? I served on an LST from 1965 to 1969 and we carried cargo up the rivers and Mekong Delta. Our home port was San Diego and we "deployed" three times for periods of 9 to 10 months. Later served on a destroyer in 1971 in the Tonkin Gulf. These were all spoken of, described, etc. as deployments, even though the T operated "in country" a good deal of the time. Maybe its a service branch thing, Army and Marines doing "tours" and Navy being "deployed.'
    When aircraft wings were sent to Nam they were also referred to as "deployments."
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    Isn't it possible to accelerate without propulsion by using gravity assist and planetary slingshots?
    Yes. The Voyagers underwent a significant acceleration when they passed Jupiter. Most trips to Mercury and closer to the Sun involve a momentum-consuming fly by Venus and sometimes another pass of Earth to slow the spacecraft in the same way.

What I'm talking about was when shuttle craft engines went out and they coasted to a stop while approaching a space station in that Star Trek film.

There are films that I forbear watching because I know they'll have so many mistakes and misapprehensions and screenwriter whack-offs that I'll be really pissed off the whole time.

That Wyoming pop gripper, Wind River is at the top of my avoidance list right now. A white government trapper on the Wind River Rez? Protecting the helpless injuns from lions and tigers and bears?

Give me a f**king break.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post

Give me a f**king break.
    you should give sharknado a go

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    you should give sharknado a go
    Bugger off, or I'll start suggesting artsy euro-flicks to Kat.

Un Chien Andalou: a really sweet movie about a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    It's done all the time. The Voyager probes made a tour through the solar system using each planet's gravity well to send it on to the next "stop". All you need is a lot of calculation, and some manuevering thrusters. We're planning on using the moon's gravity to give us a health delta v on an asteroid rendezvous mission.
    dave boling

I teleported home one night
    With Ron and Sid and Meg.
    Ron stole Meggie's heart away
    And I got Sidney's leg.
    -- Douglas Adams

do tv Shows count? A recent episode of Modern Family had an inflatable put-putting away........
    with a Torqeedo motor on the stern.