Thread: White oak source

Default White oak source

Guys,
    Im in California and no one has green white oak. I need a piece 6/4 8-9 wide 13+ feet long. Id take it dried if necessary. Im building a Haven 12 .
    thanks as always,
    craig

Default Re: White oak source

Quote Originally Posted by zzkelford View Post
    Guys,
    I’m in California and no one has green white oak. I need a piece 6/4 8-9” wide 13+ feet long. I’d take it dried if necessary. I’m building a Haven 12 .
    thanks as always,
    craig
    Yankee Mahogany!

you "need a piece", r u looking to have someone ship a piece to you? or are you looking for a local donation or recycled piece that could be had for a less than princely sum?

Be sure you get white oak...it is often mixed with red.

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    Be sure you get white oak...it is often mixed with red.
    When you call around or visit lumber places try using the words air-dried or recently cut/ milled

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Thanks for the replies. I’m looking to have it shipped. I just can’t find it in California and I’d rather not laminate it.
    craig

Is that for the keel and/or keel batten? Is it to get ribs out of?

As an ex boat building lumber producer/dealer I learned that customers often place unrealistic orders. One guy wanted hundreds of board feet of clear vertical grain 2x12 Sitka at 20 feet long. That was really hard to produce. It turned out that he was making 1x2, he could have taken random widths/random grain.

If you're trying to get everything you need out of 1 board you should save yourself a lot of trouble and look for the easiest pieces to get it out of. Often it's easiest to laminate curved stems.

I don't think anyone here would disagree that much of what you need can be D. Fir or Yellow Cedar. If you increase the scantlings a bit you can use YC for frames, it steam bends really nicely, and is easier to find in straight grain.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 01-05-2018 at 07:58 PM.

California is full of cooperage grade oak. The “valley” (q. lobata) oak, for example.
    People are cutting wood like crazy in this state, trying to keep it all from burning down.

Call some tree guys. Drive around in the hills looking for mills.

It’s what I do...

Peace,
    Robert

Thanks Gib... Great input.
    craig

Google saw mills near me white oak, and use the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    Google saw mills near me white oak, and use the phone.
    Real interesting place!
    http://www.angelcitylumber.com/what-we-do/

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

I'm on the "wrong" coast but if you want to pay shipping from Massachusetts I have piles of air dried white oak (2 years) and will have piles of freshly milled green oak in the spring. We have off-cuts from the keel timber that are almost big enough to get what you need out of them. =)
    A clear 6/4 x 9" x 13' is a piece of cake, getting that heavy hunk to California is the issue! haha

Best of luck finding the lumber, I also suggest calling arborist, small logging companies and small sawyers. You just might find one with a soft spot for boat builders.
    ACORN TO ARABELLA
    For additional info on this project:

www.acorntoarabella.com
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi...WB1xCp6uuUo0VA

Quote Originally Posted by zzkelford View Post
    Guys,
    I’m in California and no one has green white oak. I need a piece 6/4 8-9” wide 13+ feet long. I’d take it dried if necessary. I’m building a Haven 12 .
    thanks as always,
    craig
    If you are asking for "green white oak", but would accept it dry, that suggests you don't need "green" white oak, which suggests you won't be steam bending it, which suggests you don't have to have white oak at all.

In my experience, Seattle area, White oak is not easy to find in longer lengths. For steam bending stock I always ask Edensaw in Port Townsend. If dry there are a few more sources.

So use something like Sapele instead. Or maybe Fir or AYC.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Hvalsoe; 01-06-2018 at 12:02 PM.

I used to build custom furniture in Anchorage, AK. That place is not a hotbed for exotic, or even ordinary domestic, lumber. For some projects I had to ship from various part of the "lower 48." Easy peasy. I chose the lumber from photos that the sellers provided, sent them a check, they wrapped it in plastic with cheapo cover sheets, and shipped it via truck. I'd get the lumber a week or so later. It wasn't an inexpensive way to purchase, but I got the goods.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by sdenette View Post
    I'm on the "wrong" coast but if you want to pay shipping from Massachusetts I have piles of air dried white oak (2 years) and will have piles of freshly milled green oak in the spring. We have off-cuts from the keel timber that are almost big enough to get what you need out of them. =)
    A clear 6/4 x 9" x 13' is a piece of cake, getting that heavy hunk to California is the issue! haha

Best of luck finding the lumber, I also suggest calling arborist, small logging companies and small sawyers. You just might find one with a soft spot for boat builders.
    very interesting . . .

If you're willing to wait and do find lumber on the east coast, New England or farther south, one way to get long, heavy objects shipped is by contacting local college or club rowing teams. On occasion they drive their shells on long, purpose-built trailers across country for important regattas or to sell to other programs, or get newer ones. They dearly love it when someone makes a donation toward their gas budget. Getting the lumber to and from them is something to negotiate. UCLA may have a lead on such matters: http://www.uclaclubsports.com/news/2...s-regatta.aspx www.row2k.com classifieds is another place to find crews that might be willing to help. The fall San Diego Crew Classic is a nationally attended event.
    Last edited by rbgarr; 01-06-2018 at 04:28 PM.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

You guys are awesome. It’s like going to school every time I post. Thanks again for your help...
    craig

You might also try Gobi Lumber in Portland. http://www.gobywalnut.com/ All of their stock may be kiln dried, but they have a pretty big air drying yard, too. I've occasionally had really good luck in the "Materials" column on Craigslist, as well.