Thread: Spain?

Default Spain?

Hi. We're going to spend some time in Spain later this winter, probably a few weeks. Still haven't sorted out where, but we're looking for a village rather than a city, not a resort, preferably within walking distance of water. I'd like to park myself somewhere and complete a few writing projects.

Can anyone make suggestions? I rather liked the look of this little place, just up from Gibraltar. http://www.andalucia.com/province/ca...reguadiaro.htm

Anyone need boat crew, or help with a paintbrush?

Dave

Default Re: Spain?

Spend enough time in Andalucia, and you'll be convinced Iberian civilization (or at least its architecture) has never recovered from the defeat of the Moors. they were magnificent builders.

I was in Spain for a month last summer. Three of work in Seville and then I rented a car for one week and drove north to Galicia. While I was in Seville I spent some time on the coast near Cadiz. Very pretty sandy beaches and relatively warm water. From what I heard and the little I saw, the southern and eastern coasts tend to be more touristy.

For me, Galicia was absolutely wonderful. Beautiful rocky cliffs and headlands, lovely sandy coves and beaches, great day hikes right out of town with virtually no one around in nice forest amonst 5’ tall ferns, quaint pretty countryside, a distinct culture and language, working harbors, great seafood, surfing, and cool weather. The last I was happy for as is was very hot June in the South, meanwhile in Galicia it was in the 50-60s F and drizzley. I was in the mood for that.

Then there is the woodenboat culture. It is strong, still operating sail and power, and well documented and preserved in their marinas and museums. I spent 6 days in Cedeira. There they have, an abundance of stout wooden flatbotomed skiffs that they use as tenders and they tow out with their steel fishing boats to use setting nets, and other interesting wooden fishing boats.

I have spouted on and on about Galicia to friends since I returned. I visited a couple other cities there and have details about them. Larger than Cederia and even more wooden boats and museums. I have contemplated putting up a post on this forum about the trip. I have a few good pictures and tails, but nowhere near the whole story. Also the Basque region deserves a look I feel, I haven’t been ther. I will drop a few pictures now. Enjoy your trip! I realize with your winter trip it might be a bit cold here. Eekkk, tried to flip the one picture but can’t somehow get it yet, thought I deleted it but no.
    . 45F2E17D-5600-4449-8782-0BE1D07FC58F.jpg
    1433649A-FDE1-48D3-9AD1-B42F54BE55BD.jpg

DB6E288F-CC46-418A-A7B0-CBC2EA425E1D.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt young; 01-05-2018 at 07:08 PM.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Just to confuse things more, have you considered Portugal? Daughter and bf picked up a campervan in Malaga, Spain, then spent about four weeks cruising from there up the west coast of Portugal - that was two months ago. Lots of small coastal towns to choose from, stunning scenery, and "amazing" food ( this from a food science major ).

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Thanks for the replies!

North and West Iberia looks wonderful, but perhaps not in February?

Right now, after much Google-surfing, we're looking to book into some small town or village south of Cadiz. Between there and Cape Trafalgar. Any insight re that coast?

Dave