Thread: The first mark

Thumbs down The first mark

Oh well, it had to happen sooner than later.

New paint job on hull.
    Son takes boat out yesterday.
    Anchors and has fenders on side.
    A friend (16 and suspect inexperienced/incompetent) tries to come alongside in a bigger boat.
    Screws approach up and makes a 6" x 3" wiggly mark down to primer at very stern.

What would you do now?
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Default Re: The first mark

Buy a new boat!!!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Now you can actually use the boat without worrying about scratching the new paint job. Problem solved,, :<}
    WBF=DNC

Quote Originally Posted by erster View Post
    Now you can actually use the boat without worrying about scratching the new paint job. Problem solved,, :<}

lol
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

hahahhahaha, worry free from here on out! you should be RELIEVED!

The Captain (my son) is very upset about it.

As financier, paymaster and purser (not to mention Bosun and General Dogsbody) my plan is :

Not to contact other boat's owner (16 year old's father) for a touch-up repair respray job by boatyard.

Will contact the boatyard and get a thimble full of paint and hand paint it with a fine brush, as best I can.
    Last edited by Rum_Pirate; 01-05-2018 at 09:12 AM. Reason: add "-up"

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post

As financier, paymaster and purser (not to mention Bosun and General Dogsbody) my plan is :

Not to contact other boat's owner (16 year old's father) for a touch repair respray job by boatyard.

Will contact the boatyard and get a thimble full of paint and hand paint it with a fine brush, as best I can.

good karma for you. don't let the little things get in the way of friendships. it's just a boat, and ship happens.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    good karma for you. don't let the little things get in the way of friendships. it's just a boat, and ship happens.
    Oh yes also advise my son to learn from experience and put out even more fenders.

Oh yes also advise my son to learn from experience and put out even more fenders.
    maybe have your son do the touchup work
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

This is why they invented gel coat. I would never paint a fiberglass hull again.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    maybe have your son do the touchup work
    He will willing help. Most distraught, regards it as his boat and the contents of my wallet as his.

He had several fenders and asked the other boat to put out some, but did not anticipate that the stern of the other boat would come in at 45 (driver incompetence/mistake).

Quote Originally Posted by delecta View Post
    This is why they invented gel coat. I would never paint a fiberglass hull again.
    And gel coat boats don't scratch or will ever need to be fixed when scratched? Ever tried to match gel coat on even a boat that's only one year old? A painted boat is far easier to fix than any gel coat boat on the market.
    WBF=DNC

The Old Man used to tell me that the hull on a canoe should only touch two things - one is air and the other is water.

Boy, there sure is a lot of hard water out there.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

And gel coat boats don't scratch or will ever need to be fixed when scratched? Ever tried to match gel coat on even a boat that's only one year old? A painted boat is far easier to fix than any gel coat boat on the market.
    Nah, gel coat will take much more abuse then paint and while the color match might not be perfect it's much easier to repair a scratch on it then to fix two stage paint.

Quote Originally Posted by delecta View Post
    Nah, gel coat will take much more abuse then paint and while the color match might not be perfect it's much easier to repair a scratch on it then to fix two stage paint.
    Gel coat is a very porous material, as it post cures. Not only does gel coat break down as it ages, unlike paint unless you wax it, it will absorb moisture naturally. They do become water logged logs. Opening up the surface from scratches or dings will further increase the break down on the surface. Fix your scratches on gel coat if you wish, even with unmatching colors. But painting a previously gel coated hull after proper prep and primers will allow polyester-glass boats to live way longer than without paint.
    WBF=DNC

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    The Old Man used to tell me that the hull on a canoe should only touch two things - one is air and the other is water.

Boy, there sure is a lot of hard water out there.
    My wife and I can tell you where every rock in the river is.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    My wife and I can tell you where every rock in the river is.

Peace,
    Robert
    When I was 16, I bought a new canoe with my summer wages made from "that other stuff" after having lost on a drawing for one of the Old Town canoes that the camp was getting rid of. My dad proposed going to a place we'd not been paddling before and suggested bringing my new boat. We pushed off and hadn't gone 20 feet when the sound of an unseen rock scraping gelcoat intruded on the peace and quiet. "That's why I didn't bring my boat.", he said.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    When I was 16, I bought a new canoe with my summer wages made from "that other stuff" after having lost on a drawing for one of the Old Town canoes that the camp was getting rid of. My dad proposed going to a place we'd not been paddling before and suggested bringing my new boat. We pushed off and hadn't gone 20 feet when the sound of an unseen rock scraping gelcoat intruded on the peace and quiet. "That's why I didn't bring my boat.", he said.
    I introduced a dude to paddling and canoe building (strip/glass) and after he built his first canoe, he mocked my canoe’s weight and heavy glass schedule and skid plates.

Then I took him down a stretch of river that, at the time, got very shallow. The river has since experienced a revitalization project, so the water level remains higher and more constant. Back then, though, you could only get to a few magic spots by trekking through some SHOAL water. Even lining was impossible in spots.

Hehe. After seeing his bottom when we racked the boat on the car, he upped the glass schedule there and added some skid plates, as well.

Not that I built beastly boats. An extra layer of glass and some rope skid plates go a long way toward staving of jagged granite. Shoot, even the partly worn smooth granite rips up a boat.

Peace,
    Miss Paddling A Lot (Stupid Back...)

Not to contact other boat's owner (16 year old's father) for a touch-up repair respray job by boatyard.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    I agree. But add to the list "give the kid some lessons in how to do it right." Everyone will benefit.

Seems like you've learned a bit from that loan recovery saga. That's good.

Put one of these decals over the scratch: https://www.cafepress.com/+,89566491...SABEgKZBfD_BwE
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Put one of these decals over the scratch: https://www.cafepress.com/+,89566491...SABEgKZBfD_BwE

The boat is red.

MaryEllen's boatbuilder niece Sabrina did the honors at Meg's launch. She at first tried batting lefty for better posing to the crowd. The blow before the one caught in this pic missed the bronze and put an impressive dent and scar in the planking just aft of the stem. She was all but in tears but I told her it's not a wooden boat till it takes a ding. Good to get that over again so change hands and hit her again.

Wear your scars with pride.

Speaking of Meg, Ian, how is she making out in this deep-freeze? Is she iced in? Any tidal ice movement?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Iced in. Movement we hope remains minimal. So far so good.

sorry to hear about your son's friend. He will make new ones.

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

place this over the scratch. Now she is hiding a secret.

81Y7-KWIjZL._SY587_.jpg
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    sorry to hear about your son's friend. He will make new ones.
    They are still friends.

My son admits that he will use even more caution in future with him when boating.

Good news, Ian. Hope it remains benign.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I think the more interesting question is: How would you son felt he he had scratch it himself? When i do something like that - i hate using it for a while and kick myself every time I do. And sometimes - I feel I want to get rid of it like I am doing with my big boat now. Weird I know.

In just a few hours that little thing will be fixed and ready for the next near sinking. It is the nature of boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    I think the more interesting question is: How would you son felt he he had scratch it himself? When i do something like that - i hate using it for a while and kick myself every time I do. And sometimes - I feel I want to get rid of it like I am doing with my big boat now. Weird I know.

In just a few hours that little thing will be fixed and ready for the next near sinking. It is the nature of boats.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.—J. A. Shedd.

I have driven many super yachts, and a couple of megas, after paint jobs worth 100s of thousands of dollars. The first thing I did was to find an inconspicuous spot, usually below the anchor. There I would let the crew watch me do a small spot of damage. I would tell them not to worry about the first scratch, because I had already done it. Now lets not do the second. Everybody seemed a little bit more relaxed after that. Funny thing after a paint job, is that owners who would relish the challenge of being in charge at docking before paint, would tend to step aside and say, "All yours Bob".

Default The first mark

One of the beauties of paint versus gelcoat is the ease of repair. I do an annual ding removal and touch up( sometimes I go two years). Docking faux pas, a missed shot with the gaff, hooked fish headbanging the the top sides with a lure or hook in the mouth. Dings and scrapes are inevitable.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Breakaway; 01-07-2018 at 11:40 PM.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I did not see this wise post before I posted. Of, course you are correct, Mike.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.