Thread: Green Girly Men

Default Green Girly Men

http://bust.com/living/194003-men-not-recycling.html

How about it, lads? Are you too manly to recycle?

[COLOR=rgba(51, 51, 51, 0.8)]In a [/COLOR]study[COLOR=rgba(51, 51, 51, 0.8)] conducted by [/COLOR]Scientific American[COLOR=rgba(51, 51, 51, 0.8)] with over 2,000 American and Chinese participants, researchers found that people perceive that there is a link between “green behavior” and femininity — which means that men aren't recycling because they think it's too girly.[/COLOR]
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Default Re: Green Girly Men

This goes along with that man card crap?

What’s wrong with the world? Exhibit A.

Peace,
    Robert

So, does recycling activity change in trans people to match their new identity? or does it continue concordant with their birth sex?

Chicks dig guys who recycle.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Chicks dig guys who recycle.
    Aging hippy chicks from the free love years?

Our town is into some serious recycling. I used to be proud, but increasingly I think a lot is the minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    So, does recycling activity change in trans people to match their new identity? or does it continue concordant with their birth sex?
    The more feminine they identify the more they recycle. Real men bury themselves alive under mountains of their own garbage, especially beer cans, pizza boxes, and old tv's with the tubes shot out. It's been proven. I'm pretty sure the self interred voted Trump, too.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

i recycle. at the house, they give us a big can for recycling but they only come get it every other week. we fill that thing up EVERY week though. so sometimes i'll cram some over flow recycling into the neighbor's bin, but often i have to throw stuff in the garbage that i had separated out for recycling. and i've been using the same 10 beers cans for about 8 years now. now THAT'S green.

it is true, I have been labeled a wussy on this very forum and I am a compulsive recycler, canvas bag user, bicycle commuter and trash picker uper.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

But, Jim, You never can tell, it might come in handy some day

What a load of carp. Been recycling for 30+ years. Sat. AM at the dump (transfer station) is a social occasion - for both men & women - as well. Having no-sort recycling does make it a lot easier, but everyone I know in VT recycles & has for many, many years.

Now some towns in Maine give free rubbish disposal (if you drop it off); watching that I see that few bother to recycle. "Too much work". Simple solution is to make 'em pay.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I recycle and have for years. Haul my own trash and recyclables to the town dump, where they are collected separately: glass and cans; paper; cardboard.

The town also accepts leaves, prunings and yard waste, which they grind up into mulch that is then free for the taking. I avail myself of that too. ( Reason #183 to own a pick-em-up truck!)

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I recycle and have for years. Haul my own trash and recyclables to the town dump, where they are collected separately: glass and cans; paper; cardboard.

The town also accepts leaves, prunings and yard waste, which they grind up into mulch that is then free for the taking. I avail myself of that too. ( Reason #183 to own a pick-em-up truck!)

Kevin
    Similar here, though we don't have to sort. That & they make our yard waste into compost & charge for it: $10 an 80 lb bag or $25 for a cubic yard. Guess which way I buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    But, Jim, You never can tell, it might come in handy some day
    Sure, you can burn the pizza boxes to keep warm and I knew a guy who built a fence out of beer cans once. But imploded cathode ray tubes? That's just hording.

Years ago, I started a recycling program in Sublette County, Wyoming, which is one of the most paleo-conservative places in the US. Not only is it still going, but the heavy-duty bag we had made as a gift to donors is still in great shape.

With changes in China, the recycling effort in the US is running into trouble.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

In the late 70s a small "uber liberal" outfit here in town established a profitable recycling business. Their trucks would prowl the neighborhoods, picking up on a weekly basis. It ultimately became too successful. The contract garbage hauler for the city persuaded the city fathers that they could also handle recycling, and do it much more efficiently. This move effectively put the hippies out of business. Today, we can put our recyclables in a green plastic bag, placed at the top of our garbage cans. Somehow, this "increased efficiency" has reduced recycling to an insignificant percentage of what it was 30 years ago.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Our local solid waste district is getting close to 50% of all trash being recycled. That's up from 19% 20 years ago. No hippies there (trust me, I'm on the board) - just no nonsense business folks who actually give a damn.

If there is no market for a product, you can't recycle it.
    Last edited by Chris Woodward; 01-04-2018 at 09:44 PM.

The operator of the regional dump in Eddyville, Kentucky was deeply affronted when I asked about recycling cardboard from a remodeling project we did there. His exact words were "This ain't California a$$h0l3!"

That's not a dig against Kentucky, just a dig against willful stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    The more feminine they identify the more they recycle. Real men bury themselves alive under mountains of their own garbage, especially beer cans, pizza boxes, and old tv's with the tubes shot out. It's been proven. I'm pretty sure the self interred voted Trump, too.
    au contraire - nothing makes me feel more manly than returning to the beer store with a hefty sack of empties to get my deposit back - which i then spend on more beer/it almost feels like free beer
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

When I was single and living alone. I had a 30 gallon recycling bin and a 50 gallon trash bin. During the winter I put the trashbin out once a month, but the recycling would go out every two weeks. My father on the other hand, being the same boat I was once in, makes WAY more trash than I ever did