Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I can't drive 55

Default Re: I can't drive 55

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    OK... I admit it. I was just trying to prop up his fragile ego...
    Whose? Fragile? Sumthin' happen that I missed?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I see that lots of speed fetishists qualify for John's Dunning-Kruger fetish
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harrow View Post
    I did 46.3 mph on Rattlesnake Hill my last time down.

Attachment 8092
    Nice bike!

Jeff C

Re: I can't drive 55

It was quite literally true for me Saturday. I was trying to run out to Lowes in Watertown while it was -5F. I was OK until I got on the Interstate, and then the fuel began to jell in my Dodge/Cummins. I was lucky to be able to turn around and limp home, but I could not get it to go faster than about 25.

To his great good fortune, Sammy Hagar was not riding with me at the time

Whats wrong with some of you people, I thought a Maserati would do 185
    We don't know how lucky we are....

They say I'm crazy but I have a good time
    I'm just looking for clues at the scene of the crime
    Life's been good to me so far
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Speed limit on SH 130, the Austin bypass, is 85 MPH.
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

I’m not going to comment on the grounds it might incriminate me
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harrow View Post
    I did 46.3 mph on Rattlesnake Hill my last time down.

Attachment 8092
    I had a blow-out on a front tire once, going too fast. Nasty!

Fastest for me? 145 on a Honda V65; car- 140-ish 67 Camaro (speedo ended at 130 - but I had a 'chase car'). Haven't tried anything that stoopid in many, many years, though todays vehicles are certainly more capable.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

These are kind of fun.

I have cracked the metric ton downhill on a mountain bike.

Twice.

Also, I’m a Keith Code trained track rider. Cracked 150 a few times on a bike with no speedo, but based on lap timing, I know I cracked 150. It is weird, but up around the ton, stuff slows WAY down, but happens VERY fast. Hehe.
    I absolutely will not speed in public. Anymore. Ahem.

But if we are heading to the track, I’d like a bike, please. Motor bike, wiseguys.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. Have cracked the ton in cars repeatedly. Bested 120 in a turbocharged Geo Storm when we were still dating...

When I was sixteen, I got a ticket for speeding on a skateboard. There was a famous—among skaters— steep hill (Alta Drive) that got re-paved, with beautiful silky, flawless asphalt. Since it would soften up with the day's heat, we would hit it at sunrise. Somebody called the cops.

As the officer was writing the ticket, he couldn't stop chuckling.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    When I was sixteen, I got a ticket for speeding on a skateboard. There was a famous—among skaters— steep hill (Alta Drive) that got re-paved, with beautiful silky, flawless asphalt. Since it would soften up with the day's heat, we would hit it at sunrise. Somebody called the cops.

I'd have been laughing, too - gotta love it!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    The one I was driving would've - but when everyone on the road (Cross Westchester Expressway in NY) is doing 50, 163 is a decent amount faster than surrounding traffic.

OK - that's where I chickened out...

I got a ticket for 56 in a 25 on a Rudge 3 speed bicycle. Since it was a school zone, the cop wasn't chuckling. I was just trying to get away from school faster...

Wyoming is a bad example for human life on earth. Highest per capita carbon footprint. High gun ownership (and partisanship). High alcoholism and drug addiction. High domestic abuse. Totally dominated by energy corporations and paleo-conservative Republicans who regard corruption as a sacred right.

It also, according to an analysis by a Stanford researcher of vehicle images on Google street-view, has the highest per capita number of pickups, especially extended cab models. Also hogmonster SUVs like Suburbans (and all the copycats like Escalades and Expeditions).

Predictably, there's a large segment of the public constantly pushing for higher speed limits. The limit on the two-lane rural highway we use to reach the nearest town just got bumped from 65 to 70. Even going the limit, we still get passed by aggro-turds in huge hunks of Detroit iron, who have their cruise control engaged at 80 or more.

Besides the terror of having some glittering mega-scum vehicle come roaring up from behind and whip around, on black ice with inches to spare, there's a definite increase in the number of wildlife roadkills: at least double. Quite a few of the Republican arsehats have big welded steel cages on the front of their vehicles, so the animals they slaughter won't dent their precious trucks.

If a giant meteor strikes earth, it'd be great if it took out Casper, Wyoming.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    These are kind of fun.

Yeah - but the guy's a jerk. All of those were done where they shouldn't have been. Narrow road with parked cars on both sides and plenty of pedestrians.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Way better to display your manly attributes in bed, rather than on the public highway.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    These are kind of fun.

This is a common occurence near my house. Several Lambo owners nearby. I doubt they know how to manage a proper curvey road.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Way better to display your manly attributes in bed, rather than on the public highway.
    Or doggy attributes, as the case may be.....
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Lot of motorcycles on that list.

I didn't see Lew's ride listed - oversight?
    Neither of my bikes will do 160. I'd be a bore on that list. By the way, neither will the '16 Kawasaki (presumably Z) 800 somebody clocked at "156."

The very first time I put up a video that had my speed indictated I took a lot of lip from the safety patrol on the board. I don't talk about going fast anymore, I just do it when it feels safe to me, which isn't very often.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Yeah - but the guy's a jerk. All of those were done where they shouldn't have been. Narrow road with parked cars on both sides and plenty of pedestrians.
    Plus in most cases, his passengers seemed entirely unprepared for what was going to happen. If a car feels fast when it launches with suitable warning given, one will be turned inside out if it launches when texting head down on a cell phone.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    Sorry, that's only Joe Walsh's Maserati.

But now he can't drive it...

My brother got caught doing three times the eight knot limit at the moorings on the river Crouch, Essex. He was windsurfing at the time. The 'cops' said they had a hard time catching him.

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

16 knots on a Hobie cat, 32 kts on a 60 ft racing cat between Brasil and the Antilles..... hitting the mythical ton on a sixties BSA A10, felt faster than a recent 140 blast on a 1200 Hinckley Trophy.
    For sheer adrenalin speed kicks I still get the biggest thrill going as fast as possible (not at all fast really, i'm not seventeen anymore) on a prepared and empty piste on snowskis ..
    When you come to a fork in the road , take it.

Smarter than the average bear, Booboo

you want to try my idea of "Hold my beer an watch this" behaviour.

1988, driving an Inter Transtar with a 440hp Cummins, a 13 speed double overdrive Roadranger on 3.9s. This semi had 22wheels on the road, weighed 38.5 tonnes and to make it a little more exciting, bent in the middle.

This particular night I had been dispatched an hour an a half late and I was expected to make up the time.

I had a belly full of pills and a head full of bad attitude, My terminal velocity that night?

170 kph, which is. 106MPH

Adrenaline central.

How I survived I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I have cracked the metric ton downhill on a mountain bike.

...)
    Kangamangus Highway: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/new...us-278549.html

Circa 1968 on my Torpado (note, picture is recent, not '68.)

DSC_0048.jpg

50/14 Was told I'd passed cars doing better than 55. Nothing like a downgrade! But not on Rattlesnake Hill.

https://www.strava.com/segments/5290420?filter=overall

(That's average speed, not max.)
    Last edited by Ed Harrow; 01-06-2018 at 10:09 PM.
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants