#8: 150 mph in a 70 mph zone

Road: I-35 in Hays County
    Ride: Blue 2009 Suzuki GSF
    #7: 155 mph in a 75 mph zone

Road: US-81 in Wise County
    Ride: Black 2016 Kawasaki 800
    #6: 156 mph in a 75 mph zone

Road: I-40 in Carson County
    Ride: Red 2016 Chevrolet (no model listed)
    #5: 156 mph in a 70 mph zone

Road: SH-195 in Williamson County
    Ride: Black 2006 Suzuki GSX
    #4: 156 mph in a 70 mph zone

Road: SH-195 in Williamson County
    Ride: 2014 Chevrolet SS
    #3: 160 mph in a 75 mph zone

Road: SH-44 in Nueces County
    Ride: Red 2006 Suzuki motorcycle
    #2: 160 mph in a 55 mph zone

Road: I-45 in Galveston County
    Ride:
    Silver 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8#1: 181 mph in a 75 mph zone

Road: US-90 in Coryell County
    Ride: Red 2012 Honda CBR1000
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Default Re: I can't drive 55

Lot of motorcycles on that list.

I didn't see Lew's ride listed - oversight?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Knew an immature jerk who once pegged his Suzuki Speedo. He thinks he hit 120.
    This was on a two way east King County road, 50 mph zone.
    He said his vision narrowed and his peripheral vision was a grey blur. He had no earplugs, and the noise was deafening.
    He never did it again.
    For 2 weeks.
    Next time was on 405 where there's a 10 mile stretch with no on ramps.
    Вещи меняются 6 ноября.

If I recall family lore correctly, my eldest brother was caught doing 140 mph on I-5 in a Super Bee south of Seattle, back when the speed limit was 55, sometime in the late '60s.

162 on I-20 in my 1997 Carrera S a number of years ago. Had my dad with me. He enjoyed it!
    Early on a Sunday morning. No other traffic, didn’t pass anybody. Nice stretch of road with no place for a cop to hide. Valentine one, and active laser jammers.

FWIW 130mph on the autobahn in my wife’s wagon and NOT having to worry about Johnny Law was a LOT more fun.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Not surprised at the number of motorcycles.

Jeff C

we have people here on this forum with a speed fetish
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Yup.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

My somewhat tepid contribution was doing 85 MPH on the interstate thru Oceanside, CA at 3 AM (55 MPH zone) and then seeing the CHP cruiser coming down the on ramp ... He came alongside, saw I was awake and in control, waved and took off. That was in the early 1970's when the speed limit was considered to be 'reasonable and prudent'

Rick

1968 Fiat 850

ster
    Last edited by hawkeye54; 01-02-2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: add text

146 in a '09 Pontiac G8????

The car was probably thankful for the stop!
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Went way too fast on several bikes in my invulnerable youth. Never sniffed 181, though.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Allen View Post
    we have people here on this forum with a speed fetish
    Yup.... faster than a speeding bullet.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    My somewhat tepid contribution was doing 85 MPH on the interstate thru Oceanside, CA at 3 AM (55 MPH zone) and then seeing the CHP cruiser coming down the on ramp ... He came alongside, saw I was awake and in control, waved and took off. That was in the early 1970's when the speed limit was considered to be 'reasonable and prudent'

Rick

1968 Fiat 850

ster

85 in a Fiat 850? Big downhill? Santa Anna tailwind?
    Either way it’s impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    85 in a Fiat 850? Big downhill? Santa Anna tailwind?
    Either way it’s impressive!
    Ha ha... that just reminded me of the bad old days, when I used to speed. Before I bought rifles and things and became a respectable member of society.

My first car.... a 1958 VW Beetle - the old 36 horsepower jobbie. We had it all loaded up for the Christmas trip home... a 366 mile journey. Four young adults and a pup. It was a big downhill - the freeway down onto the bridge over the Hawkesbury River. I got the speedo needle all the way around to the high beam light.... well past the highest speed reading on it. We figured it as 88 mph. What a beast of a car. Loved it. I managed to get it up on two wheels a few times - not with any passengers in it, mind you. The big stipulation there was.... don't back off. Swing arm suspension at the rear. Yep, back off and that would fold under and over you'd go. I never backed off.

Back to that trip home for Christmas... we were pulling up for a pee break in Taree and the car stalled. No clutch - the thrust bearing retaining clip had fallen out. We borrowed a trolley jack... pulled the engine back far enough to reinstall the thrust bearing and were on our way again.

As for these days.... I almost got to 111 kph recently, but caught it just in time and got back to 110. I save my speeding efforts for the track. I was a bit naughty there last year - pulled 260 kph (162 mph) with the girlfriend in the car. Still accelerating rapidly, with 700 rpm up my sleeve (although I've revved it well beyond redline in the past, in lower gears - something I try not to do since I rebuilt the engine)..... but I ran out of track. The naughty bit? Tyres on the front were apparently H-rated - good for 210 kph. I destroyed one of them.... it got a longitudinal bulge in it... requiring me to wind on an eighth of a turn of lock just to stay in a straight line.

Oh yeah.... another memory from the bad old days. I had swapped company cars with one of the other guys for a trip to Newcastle. I had a Ford XD wagon, which would do 179 kph / 111 mph flat knacker. He had the sedan, and I was going down that same hill, seeing what the top end difference between the two was. I got 186.... and was doing that when plod got me, from behind. Yeah... booked at top speed, which was 186 kph / 116 mph. He wasn't too bad about it.... wrote the ticket for 140 / 87 - and when I queried the cost, he said "1 kph more would have been a lot more expensive".

Stay safe out there guys.... don't speed now
    Last edited by The Bigfella; 01-02-2018 at 05:20 PM.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

About 20 years ago--no, make that 30 years ago-- I was doing 110 or so in a 55 at 1 AM. Red lights in the rear view. I pulled over and watched the cop approach in my side view.

"License and registration," he says, and adds: " I've been waiting all night for you"

" I got here as quick as I could," says I. ( It just came out of my mouth without forethought).

A moment of tense silence.

The cop then laughed, handed my back my papers, and told me to take it slow.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

The 200 mph Pumpkin could do the speed, but my employer won't do the ticket.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

i got pulled over a few days ago in kat's hotrod, 85 in a 70
    gave the trooper my id and paperwork
    he comes back a minute later and says, "you have a very clean driving record"
    i said yup, this is my wife's car. . .
    he says, "i'm gonna let you off with a verbal warning"
    i shook his hand and wished him a happy new year
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Re: 55... I am reminded of the Steven Wright joke about being stopped by a cop who said he was speeding at " 55 miles per hour ". ' Uh, I wasn't going to be out that long', Wright replied. :-)

Fastest I have ever gone is 130 in a 10 year old Maserati down the back side of the four lane Newport Bridge at 1 AM with zero traffic fore and aft. Lined up on the center double yellow line and let 'er rip. Frightened the hell out of myself.
    Last edited by Gerarddm; 01-02-2018 at 10:43 PM. Reason: typo
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    The 200 mph Pumpkin could do the speed, but my employer won't do the ticket.
    What would the likely fine be?Is it worth paying yourself for the thrill?

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    What would the likely fine be?
    $1000 or so. The speeding ticket would be $300 or so and the 'driving without due regard for the safety of others' citation would be $750.00. You'd go to jail. Your car would be towed and impounded so that's another $500 or so. You'd lose your license and have to pay a couple hundred dollars to have that reinstated in six months to a year. Insurance company would be less than amused. . .

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Is it worth paying yourself for the thrill?
    Hell no. If you're gonna drive that fast, rent some track time. Its safer for everybody, and honestly a hell of a lot more fun. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post

Hell no. If you're gonna drive that fast, rent some track time. Its safer for everybody, and honestly a hell of a lot more fun. . .
    Yep....

This shot is taken at the moment I was doing exactly 100 mph

I have always been a motorhead but I have also found that when I have a bike or car for the track I am just not interested in speeding, quite the opposite.

Oh, and mine was 140mph in my 327 Monaro many years ago....
    Bald, ugly, not too bright but incredibly sexy in an unattractive sort of way....

Mine was 163 in a Ghibli - on the day Nixon dropped the limit to 50 - before it went up to 55.

118 on my Norton.

But I was immortal back then...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Twenty years ago Montana had no speed limit aside from "reasonable and prudent." On a deserted rural state highway, I decided to see what driving at 100 mph was like. It was too fast for those conditions and I backed off.

The traffic on Interstate 90 through Montana did 80 to 90 mph in those days.

This fall we drove from Las Vegas to Seattle up through Nevada, Utah, and Idaho, all of which have 80 mph speed limits now.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Best story I have is I was 22 and dating a gorgeous 38 year old executive for Progresso foods named Barbara. My VW 78 SuperBeatle was in the shop. Before she left on a business trip she left in my driveway her Black Lancia Stratos. The next day my buddy in Philly invited me to a party at PCA ( Philadelphia art College ) Challenge me to "To Be There Or Be Square" With no other retort I jumped in the Lancia and hit the NJ Turnpike. made it down in record time. Had fun at the party but in hindsight not that much fun. On the way home driving through Sayreville on the NJTP I had it in 5th and the speedo was pinned at 85 MPH while I was in 4th ( she had the speedo made american when she imported it so top speed was 85mph )

The cherry light came on and I downshifted into 4th and double clutched it and slammed it back into 5th and the lights faded into the background. I was heading north and saw a cut off to make an illegal U Turn. I downshifted and parking braked and fishtailed through the dirt turn. Flying through the hidden uturn passing 2 parked patrol cars looking at me like I was crazy. Immediately they pulled out and chased. Now I'm flying down the NJTP at top speed with 8 cop cars in hot pursuit.

At some point I decided that It would be wize to pull over. Pulled over with all the police lights I could spot lint in the floor carpet. I was pulled from the car and slammed face down in the snow with a service gun pointed at the back of my head, handcuffed. Taken to an awaiting patrole car I was privy to good cop bad cop. Bad cop asks for you know how f'ing fast we clocked you ? When I said I did not know because the speedo was pinned at 85mph he chimed in 148 f'ing MPH. I went WHOA thats freaking fast. He did not smile. Good cop told me what was going to happen.

I called my best friend and told him I needed to be bailed out and thank god he had the cash and ability to get me. Told them he too the bus and he drove the Lancia to his car and we both drove REAL SLOW home. I had the Lancia detailed and waiting for her to return.

Months later I beat the whole thing in court due to improper paperwork

Oh and this is a black Lancia Stratos

Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 01-02-2018 at 07:50 PM.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Twenty years ago Montana had no speed limit aside from "reasonable and prudent." On a deserted rural state highway, I decided to see what driving at 100 mph was like. It was too fast for those conditions and I backed off.

The traffic on Interstate 90 through Montana did 80 to 90 mph in those days.

This fall we drove from Las Vegas to Seattle up through Nevada, Utah, and Idaho, all of which have 80 mph speed limits now.

We still have one part of Australia without speed limits.... much of the Northern Territory - which is twice the land area of Texas btw.

Lots of open country with not much traffic. At one stage, they imposed an 80 mph speed limit, but got sick of the complaints from residents.

Here's an example of why its safer without the silly limit.

This is a four-trailer road train - an 86 wheeler in this case - and it only took me 5 or 6 seconds to overtake it without a speed limit.

I rolled the throttle open at 100 kph / 60 mph in sixth gear.... and backed off at 160 kph / 100 mph as I passed the front of the truck.

I'd have been on the wrong side of the road for a LOT longer if the old speed limit was still in place.

I agree that track time is the smartest solution. I'd also say that I'm less fearful of folks driving fast who already have some experience doing so. I raced both bikes, and vintage sports cars, and know how ill-equipped most new folks are to driving fast. It takes time to hone your skills... or realize this is not the sport for you.

If you are already comfortable at speed, have pushed the limits of handling, and know what to expect, you are far better situated to do so on a public (hopefully deserted) road. It's the young fools - or the midlife crisis fools - who've never driven above 80 mph and all of a sudden decide to take their new motorcycle or spiffy sports car out to explore the upper limits... who really scare me.
    Last edited by David G; 01-02-2018 at 08:10 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    $1000 or so. The speeding ticket would be $300 or so and the 'driving without due regard for the safety of others' citation would be $750.00. You'd go to jail. Your car would be towed and impounded so that's another $500 or so. You'd lose your license and have to pay a couple hundred dollars to have that reinstated in six months to a year. Insurance company would be less than amused. . .

He forgot to mention my sudden unemployment.

He forgot to mention my sudden unemployment.
    Oh... I'm sure he's not worried about THAT. A handsome devil like him can just go find himself a new wife with a better job... a faster car... a feistier cat... and a bathroom that's already fixed up. <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Oh... I'm sure he's not worried about THAT. A handsome devil like him can just go find himself a new wife with a better job... a faster car... a feistier cat... and a bathroom that's already fixed up. <G>
    fat chance

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Best story I have is I was 22 and dating a gorgeous 38 year old executive for Progresso foods named Barbara. My VW 78 SuperBeatle was in the shop. Before she left on a business trip she left in my driveway her Black Lancia Stratos. The next day my buddy in Philly invited me to a party at PCA ( Philadelphia art College ) Challenge me to "To Be There Or Be Square" With no other retort I jumped in the Lancia and hit the NJ Turnpike. made it down in record time. Had fun at the party but in hindsight not that much fun. On the way home driving through Sayreville on the NJTP I had it in 5th and the speedo was pinned at 85 MPH while I was in 4th ( she had the speedo made american when she imported it so top speed was 85mph )

The cherry light came on and I downshifted into 4th and double clutched it and slammed it back into 5th and the lights faded into the background. I was heading north and saw a cut off to make an illegal U Turn. I downshifted and parking braked and fishtailed through the dirt turn. Flying through the hidden uturn passing 2 parked patrol cars looking at me like I was crazy. Immediately they pulled out and chased. Now I'm flying down the NJTP at top speed with 8 cop cars in hot pursuit.

At some point I decided that It would be wize to pull over. Pulled over with all the police lights I could spot lint in the floor carpet. I was pulled from the car and slammed face down in the snow with a service gun pointed at the back of my head, handcuffed. Taken to an awaiting patrole car I was privy to good cop bad cop. Bad cop asks for you know how f'ing fast we clocked you ? When I said I did not know because the speedo was pinned at 85mph he chimed in 148 f'ing MPH. I went WHOA thats freaking fast. He did not smile. Good cop told me what was going to happen.

I called my best friend and told him I needed to be bailed out and thank god he had the cash and ability to get me. Told them he too the bus and he drove the Lancia to his car and we both drove REAL SLOW home. I had the Lancia detailed and waiting for her to return.

Months later I beat the whole thing in court due to improper paperwork

Oh and this is a black Lancia Stratos

OH MY GOD. Always loved the Stratos.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    OH MY GOD. Always loved the Stratos.
    best sounding v6 ever (ferrari sourced)

Thanks Skip, that took me down memory lane. For me, about 165 in an early 80’s De Tomaso Pantera GT5. I owned a body shop in the early 80’s, and I was working with a friend who was doing high end custom work, mostly for mono chromatic AMG Mercedes that we’re big in the LA area at the time. He had hooked his father up with a grey market Pantera GT5. The car was in the Los Angeles area for a photo shoot that turned into a couple of posters. After the photo shoot his dad stopped by my shop on the way back home. I was about 21, and Bob was younger than me. When asked if I wanted a ride in the car I said hell yeah! As we got in the car I remember Bob’s Dad saying no speed runs. Bob had other ideas. We drove about a mile down the road and turned onto a two lane road in the local farm fields. Bob nailed it and went through the gears. The window was down, and I remember my T shirt sleeve puffing up in the wind, and the rows of beans turning into a blur. The speedo was disconnected, but Bob knew the tach reading at 55. We tripled that and then backed off. I found the poster of the car by Googling “De Tomaso Pantera GT5 take 5”.

The funny thing is I now work in distribution for a major car manufacturer, and often drive cars capabable of reaching that speed or more. I have no desire to go that fast any longer!

Ken

I did 46.3 mph on Rattlesnake Hill my last time down.

DSC_0421.jpg
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

fat chance
    OK... I admit it. I was just trying to prop up his fragile ego...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks