Thread: A Defence

Default A Defence

I would like to take you lads to task over a series of posts about my beautiful country.

Australia is a beautiful place, full of the most amazing sites, sights and people that you would love meet and see.

Yes, there are dangers.

We have the Five most......

We have the ten most....(Add an animal, reptile or insect)

The idea is, if you see something you don't recognize, stay the hell away from it.

I have lived on this patch of mud for nigh on Sixty years and I have not been munched on by any of the wildlife, except two redback spiders an they won't kill you, just make you a wee bit sick.

The big stuff just runs away, No wuckers.

the lads that always talk about our wildlife come from a place that has the largest, most aggressive animals on earth, I.E.

The grizzly bear, the black bear, the puma etc...etc......now!! they scare me witless.

So, When you think of Australia...

Think really beautiful, surreal, natural and (for the most part) unsploit scenery.

Think easygoing welcoming people.

Our police tend to keep their firearms in their holsters and treat the public with a certain respect.

And, If you should ever come here.

I would love to show you the land my people have called home for the last sixty thousand years, I would love to show our beaches and our bushland, introduce you to some of the most amazing wildlife you will ever see(NO. They wont eat or poison you) I promise!!!

And, before you chime in, Yes,

Our politicians and the numpties that make the regulations are just as bad as anywhere else. You can't get away from them, anywhere.

So, here's to one of the most beautiful, easiest places on earth to live.

This thread was typed with, tongue firmly jammed in cheek. LOL (except the invitation, that was a formal invitation I would like as many of you as possible to take me up on it)

Default Re: A Defence

Now if you'd just learn to drive on the right side of the road.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

I've been to Australia. I loved the country. I loved the people. I should never have gone to the zoo and looked at the snake pit my first afternoon there. I have never seen a zoo employee move so fast in my life! He was 2 steps and over the wall in a blur!

Barney, you left out that y'all saved our asses in WWII.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Worked with a woman whose Dad recovered from cancer, retired from Boeing, and became a widower all within 18 months. He was deeply depressed.
    He'd always wanted to visit Oz, and she talked him into going.
    He was a lifelong motorcyclist, so he flew down and ended up buying a motorcycle and attempted to circle the continent. I'm not sure how far he got, but he was there almost 6 months. He stayed in hotels about ten times. The rest was spent under the stars or as a guest in people's homes. He was 70 years old.
    He became an Aussie ambassador when he got back. Couldn't shut up about the place.
    IMMIGRANTS BUILT AMERICA - IMMIGRANTS BUILD AMERICA

Yeah those drop bears, they are a myth. Honest.

Phil, mate, Mate. Didn't you get the memo? there are certain things one does not talk about.

Drop bears are one of the things on the list.

We have to keep quiet about this, they won't come here if we are actually truthful about the real dangers.

It must be that we aussie men are tough, rugged, infinitely handsome and very, very resourcefull.

We have to be, we are Australian.

Paul, I don't buy into that particular arguement.

that certain little disagreement we had with our neighbours to the north has been finalised for over seventy years and the victors wrote the history, nuff said

We all did our bit and put in what we could afford to

In a fair fight could an American jackalope handle a drop bear?

No offense meant, Barney, it's all in fun. Through Bill Bryson's book, In A Sunburned Country,aka Down Under, which I encourage everyone to read, I have a fondness for your land and people, as does he.

Here's wishing you and yours a Happy New Year.

Some examples from the book:

I have never before felt like thanking an entire nation for helping me write a book, but I have never before received more generous and spontaneous assistance from a greater variety of people than I did Down Under. So thank you, Australia.

I can’t tell you how exciting it was. Insofar as I had accumulated any expectations of Australia at all in the intervening years, I had thought of it as a kind of alternative southern California, a place of constant sunshine and the cheerful vapidity of a beach lifestyle, but with a slight British bent — a sort of Baywatch with cricket, as I thought it. But this was nothing like that. Melbourne had a settled and gracious air that was much more European than North American, and it rained, rained the whole week, which delighted me inordinately because it was so totally not what I had expected.

What’s more, and here we come to the real crux of things, I liked it, straight off, without quibble or doubt, in a way I had never expected to. Something about it just agreed with me. I suppose it helped that I had spent half my life in America and half in Britain, because Australia was such a beguiling fusion of the two. It had a casualness and vivacity — a lack of reserve, a comfortableness with strangers — that felt distinctly American, but hung on a British framework. In their optimism and informality, Australians could pass at a glance for Americans, but they drove on the left, drank tea, played cricket, adorned their public places with statues of Queen Victoria, dressed their children in the sort of school uniforms that only a Britannic people could wear without conspicuous regret. I felt extremely comfortable with this.

I ended the day at young, a farming town in plum and cherry country forty miles down the Olympic Highway from Cowra in the direction of Canberra. I got a room in a motel on a side street not far from the town center. The owner, a fit-looking fellow in shorts and a short-sleeved shirt, read my name off the registration card and said, “G’day, Bill. Welcome to Young,” and gave my hand a powerful shake as if inducting me into a secret society. The friendliness of Australians — all of it quite sincere and spontaneous, as far as I could ever tell — never ceases to amaze or gratify. I had never had a motelier pump my hand before or act so pleased that fate had thrown us together. “Glad to have you,” he went on, still pumping away. “My name’s Bruce” — or whatever it was, for I was too disarmed, in every sense, to catch it.

Surveying the crowds with a benign and cheerful eye was a man whose badge identified him as Peter Hutton, Duty Manager. In the manner of nearly all Australians, he was an easygoing and approachable
    sort.

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

"Melbourne had a settled and gracious air that was much more European than North American, and it rained, rained the whole week, which delighted me inordinately because it was so totally not what I had expected."

A bit of that would be nice at present, 41C to come on saturday.

BTW, the most dangerous animal in Aus is another human. Place is infested with them……………………...

Quote Originally Posted by AussieBarney View Post
    I would like to take you lads to task over a series of posts about my beautiful country.

Australia is a beautiful place, full of the most amazing sites, sights and people that you would love meet and see.

Yes, there are dangers.

We have the Five most......

We have the ten most....(Add an animal, reptile or insect)

The idea is, if you see something you don't recognize, stay the hell away from it.

I have lived on this patch of mud for nigh on Sixty years and I have not been munched on by any of the wildlife, except two redback spiders an they won't kill you, just make you a wee bit sick.

The big stuff just runs away, No wuckers.

the lads that always talk about our wildlife come from a place that has the largest, most aggressive animals on earth, I.E.

The grizzly bear, the black bear, the puma etc...etc......now!! they scare me witless.

So, When you think of Australia...

Think really beautiful, surreal, natural and (for the most part) unsploit scenery.

Think easygoing welcoming people.

Our police tend to keep their firearms in their holsters and treat the public with a certain respect.

And, If you should ever come here.

I would love to show you the land my people have called home for the last sixty thousand years, I would love to show our beaches and our bushland, introduce you to some of the most amazing wildlife you will ever see(NO. They wont eat or poison you) I promise!!!

And, before you chime in, Yes,

Our politicians and the numpties that make the regulations are just as bad as anywhere else. You can't get away from them, anywhere.

So, here's to one of the most beautiful, easiest places on earth to live.

This thread was typed with, tongue firmly jammed in cheek. LOL (except the invitation, that was a formal invitation I would like as many of you as possible to take me up on it)
    Agree, you have a beautiful country and Fosters, what more could one want.

Barney, I have enjoyed 4 trips to NZ's Western Province and hope to return and see much more of your beautiful country.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Cruising grounds. If you ever get sick of the East coast, which is unlikely, then you can slowly head round clockwise from there. You won't get past Tasmania in one lifetime.

So much space here too. I recently bought a boat and sailed it home. It was 1600 nautical miles, just a wee hop around one corner of the place.

As for Barney's mob. Best people ever to walk the earth, in my opinion.

Sent from a phone.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    Agree, you have a beautiful country and Fosters, what more could one want.
    Fosters is for export, mate. They don't drink that crap
    I have a preference for Boags or VB

Wonderful place, I've been through Nowra and on down the coast.

It's not all dry.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Adelaide has got some brilliant transit engineers!

So how long does it take for us rightsideuppers to get used to being upsidedown?

About 3 days. But it's not quite upside down, it's more like a mirror effect, left becomes right and right becomes left. It's when you go outside at night and realize the stars are all different too, and you can hear the drop bears rustling in the gum trees, and the quacking of the night ducks out in the bush, that it gets weird.

When I was a young man in Melbourne you would take your girlfriend round by Albert Park lake to see the night ducks. Sadly since the F1 GP they have moved to quieter waterways…………………………...

My wifes best friend is australian, ..
    She said the natives can appear and disappear on a whim.

Is this true?

Don't know about disappear but you gotta be careful you don't get on their wrong side……….
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv8fDsVJsE0

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    When I was a young man in Melbourne you would take your girlfriend round by Albert Park lake to see the night ducks. Sadly since the F1 GP they have moved to quieter waterways…………………………...
    This was a bit NW of Armidale NSW, never did see them. I was busy watching the Possums going through our stuff.

Possums can be annoying, but not the worst things you can come across.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...it?CMP=soc_567
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Barney, if I ever make it to your part of the world, I would love to take you up on showing me the country, especially the rugged back country and places the tourist don't go.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Bay View Post
    About 3 days. But it's not quite upside down, it's more like a mirror effect, left becomes right and right becomes left. It's when you go outside at night and realize the stars are all different too, and you can hear the drop bears rustling in the gum trees, and the quacking of the night ducks out in the bush, that it gets weird.
    And the sound of the Kangaroos waltzing their matildas.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

If I was to judge the dangers in a country, by how concerned I am for the well being of my children. Australia has to be the least threatening place I have taken them to yet. The humans here are probably up there with the least dangerous in the world, unless you poke them that is, don't poke them.....

I’ll bring the woomeras, you provide the darts, eh?

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Don't know about disappear but you gotta be careful you don't get on their wrong side……….
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv8fDsVJsE0

I asked wendy about mick dundee.

She knew him and said he was a very nice guy but people disliked him when he left his wife.

I saw a show about australia .

Old native guys just start walking.

Right threw the desert.

No pots or pans or cans of spam.

Guy overturns a rock, finds a grub, sez this here is right fine tucker and eats it.

He finds water and roots.

Boomarangs dont really come back to you..

Even saw a old movie last month, guy drives off into the desert, kills himself, 2 kids are lost but a native boy finds them...

Then there was snother movie from the 50s, kids chase after horse thiefs, get lost, another native boy saves the day..

Come to think of it every movie the natives are the heros..

Im very much a expert now.

There is a lot of food out there if you know where to look bobbys. There used to be a lot more but mostly you had to travel to follow the seasons and the game. But in the south there were settled communities with houses not unlike iron age dwellings in europe, crops of a sort mostly by the use of fire to promote growth, fish traps, and of course 60,000 years of accumulated knowledge.
    But when europeans arrived with sheep and cows, easy game, and of course trouble.