Thread: Looking for my Grandfathers boat

Default Looking for my Grandfathers boat

Hey All!
    New to the forum and I'm looking for some help too find my grandfathers boat. It's a 38' cedar monohaul that he built in the 80's. It was last seen in Esquimalt, British Columbia about 20 years ago. Its name was Sola Gratia. Any advice on where to look or who to talk too would be very much appreciated.

Little extra info for those of you who are interested;

This boat was the second of 3 boats my grandparents built; the first one being a trimaran that their family of 7 built and sailed for a 6 month trip while all of the kids did did schooling via correspondence. The second boat being the Sola Gratia that grandpa and grandma built right after retiring (grandpa had a small prop repair and engineering shop) over a 3 year period taking at least one day to install every cedar board that comprised the haul. They then took an 8 month sailing trips from Kingston on Lake Ontario all the way down to the Florida Keys and back. The third boat was a canal boat that they lived on and did small trips around the gulf of Mexico. The cool thing was they built them all in Edmonton, Alberta which is a long way from any real body of water so they built trailers (pulled by station wagons with home-made goose neck hitches) to haul them to water.

- I have tried to search the historical register using both the name and the licence # but no luck thus far

- I don't know if the boat was based in Esquimalt or just passing through, I DO however know that Grandpa sold it to someone on Vancouver Island in 1991 and it was seen (by my uncle) in about 1996. Thats the last we have heard of it.

Grandma was able to find the original licence (not registration) number which was eastern (ontario) as they registered it in Kingston originally. It is: 21E14226

I Found a website called "National Vessel Registry Center Corp." that looks as though it will do some research for you if you provide a boat name and/or reg # for $55.00. Have any of you used this at all? Any other advice on where to go from here?

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Ben

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blwier; 01-01-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Looking for my Grandfathers boat

Quote Originally Posted by blwier View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Weird vertical lines in the planking. Do you know who designed her and was she could moulded?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I don't have any information, but good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Your grandparents sound very interesting. Building and cruising three boats is an accomplishment.

Ben, you have me interested - do you have any pictures of that station wagon hitch arrangement ?

Rick