Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Okie Bobby's Next Boat

Default Re: Okie Bobby's Next Boat

Unknown double-ender.jpg

This may be what I'm looking for. Anybody know what its? I came across this picture in the Wooden Boat forum; John Welsford's thread about Long Steps. Anybody know of a similar boat plan?

I don't know what size it is, but a 19' version would work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Okiebobby View Post

So the shortlist, which is a long list and may get longer, is (and these are in no particular order): Caledonia Yawl, Eel, Euna Mara, Ness Yawl Penny Fee, Wee Seal, Pathfinder, Pilgrim, (stretched) Walkabout, 6 metre Whaler, and Long Steps.

I suspect I'm leaning toward something similar to a Humber Canoe Yawl, or something with a narrow stern.
    IMG_5729_1_1 copy.jpg

Welsford's Whaler has moved to the top of my list. A close second is Long Steps. These are two different boats. I think my original criteria at the beginning of the thread, still holds for the most part. Looking to replace my Rob Roy 23 with something smaller; small enough to fit in a 20' x 12' garage space; small enough to fit through a 6.5' (Height) by 8' (Width) doorway. Each will do this. The big question is how important are qualities like accommodations, speed, appearance, size, weight...

If my Rob Roy 23 was small enough to fit in this garage space, I would probably not be considering a different boat. That being said, with a cabin top or cuddy, I think the Whaler has a lot of potential for my primary use of weekend overnight glampling. Don't get me wrong, I suspect Long Steps would be a fun, fast ride. The Whaler though, would be much more comfortable once the daily destination is reached; and the Whaler seems to meet my performance requirement threshold of being able to keep up with a Pathfinder. Looks wise, In my opinion few boats are going to outshine the Whaler. My hat goes off to the white 'Opus' Eun Mara pictured a few posts above; which may be the most beautiful boat I've ever seen. The Eel is easy on the eyes and high on my list, but as an inexperienced builder, it would be difficult for me to build, and I question my ability to convert the build to lapstrake. If I'm going to the trouble of building a boat, I want it to have the lapstrake appearance.

While I'm letting this thought brew for a few days. I welcome suggestions and opinions. Thanks for all the help so far. Oh, and did I mention? I'm hoping this to be my first and last completed boat build, and the one and only boat I will hang onto as I prepare for retirement in a few, quite a few, years.

beniguet_stsulliac (57) r.jpg

How did I not realize how beautiful Vivier's Beniguet is until today? I wonder if a similar looking cabin top might fit on Welsford's 6m Whaler?

Kind of surprised Sjogin hasn't come up.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post

Kind of surprised Sjogin hasn't come up.
    That is great recommendation. I wasn't aware of this smaller version of the Sjogin until just now. Thanks!! Yes I love the Sjogin!

That is great recommendation. I wasn't aware of this smaller version of the Sjogin until just now. Thanks!! Yes I love the Sjogin!
    Me too! I'd be honored to have her considered.

Good luck!
    Hove to off Swan Point......

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Manheimer View Post
    Me too! I'd be honored to have her considered.

Good luck!
    Russ, it looks like the honor is all mine. Today Facebook recommended I check out your Sjogin page, and I've been drooling over photos of your boat for half the day. Thanks for chiming-in.

https://www.facebook.com/Sjogin/

603401_146372698901425_1911704380_n.jpg

Unknown double-ender.jpg

This may be what I'm looking for. Anybody know what its? I came across this picture in the Wooden Boat forum; John Welsford's thread about Long Steps. Anybody know of a similar boat plan?

I don't know what size it is, but a 19' version would work for me.
    I think I posted that originally. It's a Caledonean yawl I found on Goggle with an owner added cuddy, I'm considering a similar cuddy for my 18 foot Selway Fisher JIM
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

It looks like I've decided on the 6 meter Whaler by John Welsford. The plans arrived this evening. I'm just starting to wrap my head around how large this little boat is. My Rob Roy 23 seems huge to me, and there is a ton of space I don't use. Consolidating down to 19 or 20 feet in length, without loosing any width, should be just about right. Plus I'll be able to completely customize the cabin and lockers, which should lend to more use of the available space.

37646402_234838630682610_2533101939437076480_o.jpg

I'm hoping the Whaler sails well, and by all accounts I've read on the internet - it should. I'm pretty sure, it would be hard to find a boat that sails as well as the Rob Roy 23 for its size, particularly motion comfort. The RR23 is a dream to sail. It is so easy to set and keep a heading, and power boat wakes don't seem to disturb it much. I'm not expecting the next boat to sail as well as the RR23, but that is part of the compromise. Some sailing qualities and durability are really what I'm giving up. I feel like every other trade-off is a gain for me, in favor of the 6MW. Not that the 6MW is a better boat than the RR23, but that it is a better boat for my type of sailing. Also a huge factor, is that I feel the desire to build a boat. And if I'm going to put the effort into building a boat, then I want the boat to be exactly what I want.

The first step of my build was to chose the boat plan. That step seems to be accomplished. The next step will be to build it in Sketchup, before the real build starts.

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions on choosing the boat plan. The type of suggestions I'd appreciate going forward, would have to do with customizations for the build. I'm sure many of you experienced builders have made some customizations, or are kicking yourself for something you wished you would have done. For example, I had to replace the drop boards in my Rob Roy; after many tries and tweaking, I finally got the replacements to fit, but what I learned is that vertical throughway openings would have been much easier to work with, and are more versatile for swapping boards or accessories; so on the 6MW, it's going to have vertical throughway openings. Any tips like that would be much appreciated, especially if you point out why the tip is so useful.

Many thanks!!
    Last edited by Okiebobby; 10-01-2018 at 10:37 PM.