Thread: Herreshoff dinghy

Default Herreshoff dinghy

I was wondering has any one out there build the Herreshoff dinghy via the booklet ? Iíve built a clinker dinghy before however after reading the book there are a few un knowns about the meathod they used. Iím not sure if any thing is to be gained in steaming the ribs over the molds in the first place.

I tried contacting the mystic museum with no luck so Iíd be interested to hear others view point if they have built this boat.

many thanks Michael

Default Re: Herreshoff dinghy

They did it that way, because they built many of them. I'd be tempted to build it in a more normal way, but then it wouldn't be quite so proper to the museum crowd.

Why not check with the Herreshoff Museum? https://www.herreshoff.org/

Also make sure you stick your head in across the street in the wood shops.
    Ric in Richmond

I haven't built one, but I've studied the book quite carefully. The technique HMfg.Co. used is most intriguing. No question, these "lifeboats" were built on a production line basis (such as productions lines were in those days.) Production efficiency certainly favored the upside down bent frames on molds process, to be sure, but it appears to me that the "Herreshoff method" also accommodates the relatively light scantlings of these boats. I'd expect that building these boats in a more conventional fashion would result in more frames broken during that construction process than they could tolerate.

I think Thad built one. He’ll be along in a bit. Herreshoff stuff isn’t at Mystic, it’s at MIT. The Haffenreffer/Herreshoff collection is part of the Hart Nautical Collection.

Kurt Hasselbalch is the curator:
    https://mitmuseum.mit.edu/about/staff/kurt-hasselbalch

https://mitmuseum.mit.edu/collection/hart-nautical

I believe that you intend to build the L.Francis Herreshoff dinghy?
    Those plans can be found at Mystic.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    I believe that you intend to build the L.Francis Herreshoff dinghy?
    Maybe not, Jay. Mystic has plans for "Herreshoff Dinghy (DEFENDER's Tender) Herreshoff, N.G." and lists the book "Building the Herreshoff Dinghy : the manufacturers method" in their museum store...

You ask if there is anything to be gained using the Herreshoff building procedure. At Herresmhoff's upside down, ribs bent to molds was standard procedure for all (or nearly all) boats. This method gave control in reproducing the model as well as flexibility. With the mold structure secure with the mold faces beveled and fair, ribs (near square sections) could be bent solid to the molds and secured to floors. Except for the dinghy/tenders, most Herreshoff boats were carvel with planks screwed to interior structure. With the dinghies lapstrake, lap fasteners was somewhat complicated by the building method, as you can see in the booklet. Not a severe problem however if you have long arms or a willing helper for riveting when the hull is pulled off the mold. I built three boats on my original mold. Herreshoff often varied the mold structure, shortening or lengthening the spacing to create variations on the basic model. I'd say that if you want to build true to Nat's model you do best to use his method. If you want to increase your skill in lapstrake construction you do well to get the booklet whether you follow the method or not. I know of no better and comprehensive description.

I haven't built one, but I was sailing one this weekend. Be sure the tiller is long enough to steer while sitting on the middle thwart, that's where the center of buoyancy is, and if you sit farther aft without a passenger, the boat will develop lee helm.

Use the yoke with lines and sit anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Use the yoke with lines and sit anywhere.
    This.