Thread: Color change over time in Padauk

Default Color change over time in Padauk

I spent a delightful afternoons chatting with an older gentleman, moving to the L48, and selling his stockpile of lumber. He has quite a bit of Padauk, very old stock, aged to a dark, somewhat reddish brown.

A little research on-line, indicates this wood is red when freshly cut, but inevitable turns brown over time. Iím am not clear if itís exposure to air or UV, that causes the color change.

If if these are brown, 20 year old, 1x6 & 1x8 planks, is there a chance the inside is still red ?

With the strip canoe building technic of encapsulating the hull in epoxy, can wood colors be preserved ?

Default Re: Color change over time in Padauk

The inside is probably still red. I don't think any coating will prevent the color shift.

Jeff

Cuban Mahogany is the only mahogany I ever was aware of that turns dark with UV exposure. Padauk is a new one to me.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 12-31-2017 at 02:47 PM.

I have worked a bit with padauk and never seen a more vividly red wood.Not for long though as it begins to turn brown after a few days and I doubt anything will prevent this.

I turned a couple bowls from padauk around 35 yrs ago. Finished with oil/beeswax, they have kept there red but have turned really dark.

There are two main factors when it comes to color change. Oxidization being one and UV the other. It's pretty hard to stop either one.

They all turn brown over time-all those pretty colored woods. With some like cherry it is a plus, with the exotic red ones not so much. I have a 7ft bloodwood dining table that was a stunning red for the first couple of years, now it is brown. Same thing with my honduras rosewood 7ft table. I am sure if they were sanded and refinished they would be like before but again time and uv and oxidation will take it's inevitable toll. I have noticed that if I get on the floor with a good light that the undersides of both tables still have the original brilliant colors!

Have used Padauk in my kayak builds - after one year, no change in color. The in raw wood the brilliant red does fade over time, but a light sanding will bring it back.

Sanding padauk will stain lighter colored wood nearby, so definitely use vacuum type sander. If you wipe with alcohol it will bleed out the red color into your towel, wipe, paper towel etc. When coating with epoxy, do not try to force epoxy into bare padauk wood with a squeegee, again the red may bleed out into the epoxy.

I coat the finished wood with west system and e-glass followed by two part LP by Epifanes.

Not sure if it is oxidation that fades the color, but I expect it is since it happens in my shop.

kayak 2.jpg
    Last edited by malibusunsetter; 01-11-2018 at 01:11 PM.