Thread: Searching for 12' Martha's Tender

Default Searching for 12' Martha's Tender

Scot relayed to me that 12' versions of the 9' 6" Martha's Tender were built by students at the WBSchool in the 80s during classes run by Belford Gray. Does anyone know of any anywhere or have photos of one of them? I'm tempted to scale one up into a nesting version, but would like to see how they might have been altered to look good. I imagine Belford would have known how to do it best.
    Last edited by rbgarr; 12-29-2017 at 04:22 PM.
    "And so the seasons went rolling on into summer, as one rambles into higher and higher grass." Thoreau, "Walden"

Default Re: Searching for 12' Martha's Tender

This is one of the ten foot boats that were, student built, in Port Townsend, twenty years ago. The owner stored it in my shop till he could get around to doing the work. He ended up donating it to another school out in Forks. It is an L.F. Herresshoff design.
    Jay

Thanks Jay. That's a pram as you know, and a nice one. To be clearer I should have posted a link to the MT design: https://www.woodenboat.com/boat-plan...marthas-tender I've learned that the ones built at the school weren't 12 footers anyway. It was a misprint in the How-to-Build articles in WB Issues 46-48.
    "And so the seasons went rolling on into summer, as one rambles into higher and higher grass." Thoreau, "Walden"

RB, I previously owned a 12' Martha's Tender built here on LI by friends at a community boatshop. It was a fine boat for a rowing tender, nothing wrong with her looks. I'll see if I can dig up any pics.

Thanks, John. If you remember the community center or anyone who was involved, send by PM?

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    RB, I previously owned a 12' Martha's Tender built here on LI by friends at a community boatshop. It was a fine boat for a rowing tender, nothing wrong with her looks. I'll see if I can dig up any pics.

Going from 9-1/2' to 12' is a reach but it looks to me that just moving the molds (a bit over 26% length gain) would actually make a rather nicer boat. She should be considerably easier to row, going from a rather plump L:B of 2.2:1 to the svelter 2.77:1.

Some of the changes in planking shape might be rather hard to draw just off. I'd make a scale model (1-1/2" to the foot is my favorite as then the model's 1/8" (easy to work with) is the boat's 1". It's big enough to be sure nothing odd happens just stretching the molds and big enough to get an accurate version of each plank.

Yes, I'd make a scale model first. And just for giggles I'm toying with using HDMW parts (and perhaps foam-filed honeycomb panels in some places) like Louis Sauzedde is doing with his sport dory project on Totalboat.com: http://www.tipsfromashipwright.com/

There's Ross Lillistone's Flint. Equally pretty, and perfect for an evening sail in Boothbay.

Longer than you suggested, but a lovely boat.

http://baysidewoodenboats.com.au/designs/flint/

I sent the PM, also checked pics on this computer. The only ones I have are after major surgery. If I find any others I will post.

Thanks John. Got your PM and I've emailed LISEC about how to contact Bill.

My son built Martha's Tender at 12'. It was awhile ago, so I don't remember every detail. I do recall, however, that the stem, transom, and station molds were all lofted and built as drawn in the design, but the spacings on the strongback were not uniformly stretched. The distance from the stem to the 1st station mold was kept very close the original design dimension so as not to change the geometry too much near the stem. The remaining molds were spaced considerably farther apart to get the overall length to 12', so most of the stretching took place nearer to the middle of the boat where the sides are more parallel.

In the water with 3hp outboard:
    Shore.jpg

Nearing completion with building jig in background:
    Unfinished 2.jpg

Couple more views. Still needs outside glass sheathing, gunwales, outer keel and skeg, and hardware:
    Unfinished.jpg
    Unfinished 3.jpg

This one shows the profile pretty well, especially if you invert the image:
    Cartop.jpg

He still intends to put the sailing rig in it one of these days. In the meantime, it rows pretty well and scoots along easily with the 3hp outboard. A 2hp outboard might be even better, and would weigh 10 or 12 pounds less, though it would be a bit louder and he would lose the neutral gear.

Gordon- Thank you very much! It looks as good as I'd hoped and your suggestions make eminent sense.

Here is "Martha's Tender" Sorry about the backlighting!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Here is "Martha's Tender" Sorry about the backlighting!
    Jay
    I believe that's a Shellback, another nice candidate to consider by Joel White: https://www.woodenboatstore.com/prod...ling_-_pulling