Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $135,000 in damages is fair and reasonable?

Default Re: $135,000 in damages is fair and reasonable?

Amazing to see someone actually argue that some people should still sit in the back of the bus.

Amazing to see someone actually argue that "straights only" would be acceptable.

How about Christians only? or whites only?---make an argument that these are not acceptable, but straights only is acceptable.

How about I start a bakery and refuse to provide goods for any church wedding? Same thing as you are advocating for.

I wonder why you hate gay people so much and post derogatory things about gay people over and over
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Oh, nice change of subject RP. It doesn't matter why!
    Read the posts. I was answering Keith's post. No change by me.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Nah Rum, the snowflake thing is a child's taunt made by adults with poor anger management skills. There's not a demographic out there that doesn't contain at least a few arrested developments.

I'm not judging the lesbian couple's anger, rightful or not, just their response to it. Only a fool would believe there wasn't hatred or scorn directed at them but a "kill with kindness" strategy might have been better in the long run. I say this based only on my many, many times I wish I wouldn't have fought to win but to just tried to end the fight. Simple, but by no means easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Hey, what about me, I am and even smaller minority, I am a Caucasian West Indian. Even I got emotional-distressed posting on here would I get $135,000.00 for emotional-distress, Nope. Guess I an't a snowflake.

If one got emotional-distressed posting on here one leaves and goes to another establishment, which is what the snowflakes should have done.
    Yes.

Well, When a non-Caucasian won’t bake you a cake because you ARE Caucasian, then you can talk.

You obviously know nothing about being discriminated against.

Calling people names doesn’t help your case, either. Especially as you sued over a small bill, and posted the whole sordid affair here for everyone to read.

Peace,
    Robert

So what is the pointing having them? IE There is therefore no point in having them.
    Read the link please. It explains that.

FWIW, I think $135,000 seems excessive. OTOH it may just pay the lawyer's fees.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 12-29-2017 at 01:07 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Google Sharia law in UK/ England There are a vast number of links. but here is one https://fullfact.org/law/uks-sharia-courts/

There are already thought to be over 80 (in 2009) Sharia Law courts operating throughout the UK, dispensing Islamic justice outside the remit of the UK's own legal system.

The government should immediately closed
    these courts and sharia made illegal in the UK.
    U R Silly.
    Really silly, ignorant, and bigoted.
    Silly : It is silly that a country be governed by two different sets of laws (look at the issues with Federal laws, state laws and sanctuary cities etc).

Ignorant ? : lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular. Nobody has 100% of the information.

Bigoted : Because one does not want to have and be governed in the future, (wedge in the door and all that) by a minority's religious laws? If so, then yes I am bigoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post

There is no point to have them, unless you are a religious fanatic.

Or unless you wish practice apartheid and segregation and non-integration against others in the country.

Why escape one's country go to another and try and change it into the same thing that one was escaping from? That is nuts!

What? And have his prejudice challenged?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike J View Post
    Nah Rum, the snowflake thing is a child's taunt made by adults with poor anger management skills. There's not a demographic out there that doesn't contain at least a few arrested developments.

I'm not judging the lesbian couple's anger, rightful or not, just their response to it. Only a fool would believe there wasn't hatred or scorn directed at them but a "kill with kindness" strategy might have been better in the long run. I say this based only on my many, many times I wish I wouldn't have fought to win but to just tried to end the fight. Simple, but by no means easy.
    I was relying on what came up by googling. I didn't see " a child's taunt made by adults with poor anger management skills'. Mind you I didn't read every response google brought up.

In summary, I don't consider that US$135,000.00 is fair or reasonable for 'whatever emotional distress was incurred by that couple.

Or unless you wish practice apartheid and segregation and non-integration against others in the country.

Why escape one's country go to another and try and change it into the same thing that one was escaping from? That is nuts!
    So, you would deny Peb's right to seek marriage guidance from his priest? Riiiight.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

What? And have his prejudice challenged?
    Would be interesting though!

Showing your ignorance again Rummy. Over 47% of British Muslims were born and raised in the UK.
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Google Sharia law in UK/ England There are a vast number of links. but here is one https://fullfact.org/law/uks-sharia-courts/

There are already thought to be over 80 (in 2009) Sharia Law courts operating throughout the UK, dispensing Islamic justice outside the remit of the UK's own legal system.

The government should immediately closed
    these courts and sharia made illegal in the UK.
    Of all the absurd lies told by the right wing... and actually believed by people too stupid to understand.... this is the one I think most ridiculous.

'Sharia Law'? How about 'Talmudic Law'? 'Canon Law'? The 'Council of Elders'?

Numerous religions have laws pertaining to their faith... and those who subscribe to those religions, who are followers and willing to subjugate themselves to the authority of the church/mosque/synagogue/whatever, are free to do so....

...but these are not 'Laws', in the sense of governmental authority.... they are religious rules, and have NO FORCE OF LAW as a function of government or justice.

A Jewish woman, for example, may indeed be willing to abide by the decision of the Rabbis, and will not press for divorce, unless her husband grants her a 'get' (the Jewish act of divorce)... but she is not forced to abide by those laws... she does so willingly, if at all.

So, tell me again about those 'Sharia Laws' being referred to... how are they different than someone of ANY faith willingly abiding by the dictates of their particular religion?

Don't be so gullible.

Peerie Maa had it right: silly, ignorant, and bigoted.
    Last edited by Norman Bernstein; 12-29-2017 at 01:20 PM.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

If one got emotional-distressed posting on here one leaves and goes to another establishment, which is what the snowflakes should have done.
    You and the bankrupt bakers may be the only ones emotionally distressed.

(But they broke the law, and probably won't do that again. That is the point)

Silly : It is silly that a country be governed by two different sets of laws (look at the issues with Federal laws, state laws and sanctuary cities etc).

Ignorant ? : lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular. Nobody has 100% of the information.

Bigoted : Because one does not want to have and be governed in the future, (wedge in the door and all that) by a minority's religious laws? If so, then yes I am bigoted.
    Profoundly and joyfully ignorant, and proud of your bigotry.
    Remarkable !

Remarkable !
    Not really!More like, expected

I hope it puts them out of business other bigots take note.

I run a small business I have gay customers, strait customers, liberal, right wing, and everything in between. I treat each and everyone with respect and dignity. The only thing my religion teaches me to do is to treat everyone as I would like to be treated.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    I hope it puts them out of business other bigots take note.

I run a small business I have gay customers, strait customers, liberal, right wing, and everything in between. I treat each and everyone with respect and dignity. The only thing my religion teaches me to do is to treat everyone as I would like to be treated.
    I don't know if I ever had any gay customers, they don't wear signs and why in heck would I ask them?

Gresham Bakery has since closed. Aaron and Melissa Klein, the owners of the bakery, argued that it is a violation of state and federal laws when they are forced to pay emotional-distress damages of $135,000 to the lesbian couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Gresham Bakery has since closed. Aaron and Melissa Klein, the owners of the bakery, argued that it is a violation of state and federal laws when they are forced to pay emotional-distress damages of $135,000 to the lesbian couple.
    What a pity!Maybe they can put up a GOFundMe site and RP can donate to it?

We're here, we're queer. Now get use to it or pay $135,000.00!!!!

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

The Bowman-Cryers filed a complaint with the state Bureau of Labor and Industries, alleging they were denied public accommodation of the Kleins' business services because of their sexual orientation.
    BOLI investigators determined the refusal constituted unlawful discrimination and ordered the Kleins to pay $135,000 in damages to the Bowman-Cryers.
    In other words they made a standard complaint to a government bureau that looked up the offence on a chart, and wrote down the legally required fine. They violated state statute xyz and paid fine $$$ from column C.

And seriously folks, if you don't want to sell gay cakes to gay people, then stop making gay cakes.

I don't know if I ever had any gay customers, they don't wear signs and why in heck would I ask them?
    I have a gay employee so he knows
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Corvida View Post
    In other words they made a standard complaint to a government bureau that looked up the offence on a chart, and wrote down the legally required fine. They violated state statute xyz and paid fine $$$ from column C.

And seriously folks, if you don't want to sell gay cakes to gay people, then stop making gay cakes.
    Oh doody, the second string showed up!

Originally Posted by Rum_PirateSilly : It is silly that a country be governed by two different sets of laws (look at the issues with Federal laws, state laws and sanctuary cities etc).

Remarkable !
    Do you have 100% of all the information? Yes - Remarkable. If no then you too are ignorant.

Do you wish to be governed in the future, by a minority's religious laws e.g. Sharia ? A one word answer will suffice. YES / NO ?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    I have a gay employee so he knows
    Is that like the masons?

Do you have 100% of all the information? Yes - Remarkable. If no then you too are ignorant.

Do you wish to be governed in the future, by a minority's religious laws e.g. Sharia ? A one word answer will suffice. YES / NO ?
    Do you want to be governed by Evangelicals? That's more likely to happen RP.

People have the right to be religious fanatics if they choose, as long as they obey the law. I don't agree with it, but there are a lot of things people do I don't agree with, and trying to stop them would be worse. This is the definition of freedom of religion.

Again, the things you are objecting to arte entirely voluntary, and 100% subordinate to British civil law. What's your problem?
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

For the record..... we use codes! (And I'm not talking about hankies) I'm only half jesting!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

[QUOTE=Keith Wilson;5435408]People have the right to be religious fanatics if they choose, as long as they obey the law. I don't agree with it, but there are a lot of things people do I don't agree with, and trying to stop them would be worse. This is the definition of freedom of religion.

Again, the things you are objecting to arte entirely voluntary, and 100% subordinate to British civil law. What's your problem?[/QUOTE]Is that a rhetorical question?

Aintgonnahappen.
    There, a one word answer.

From the Islamic Sharia Council web site
    How does the Islamic Sharia Council work?

80% of all letters received by the Council are related to matrimonial problems faced by Muslims in the UK. The remaining are related to people asking for Islamic injunctions (fatawa) pertaining to their daily lives. Matters of dispute amongst Muslim groups have been also referred to the Council for resolution.
    The majority of matrimonial disputes are initiated by women who are seeking a divorce from their husbands.
    *The Council conducts Islamic divorces only: it does not conduct cases as part of the UK legal or judicial systems: for advice regarding a civil divorce, please consult a qualified, legal representative.
    Their bolding not mine. Now do stop making a fool of yourself do.

People have the right to be religious fanatics if they choose, as long as they obey the law. I don't agree with it, but there are a lot of things people do I don't agree with, and trying to stop them would be worse. This is the definition of freedom of religion.

Again, the things you are objecting to arte entirely voluntary, and 100% subordinate to British civil law. What's your problem?
    Thin end of the wedge.

Thin end of the wedge.
    Go home, build a wall around yourself, don't put a door in it even and be happy. It's obvious that you can't handle the "Real World".

Originally Posted by Rum_PirateDo you have 100% of all the information? Yes - Remarkable. If no then you too are ignorant.

Aintgonnahappen.
    You have ducked answering the questions which questions are :

1. Do you have 100% of all the information? YES - Remarkable or if NO then you too are ignorant. Answer honestly now.
    2. Do you wish to be governed in the future, by a minority's religious laws e.g. Sharia ? A one word answer will suffice. YES / NO ?

Originally Posted by Rum_PirateDo you have 100% of all the information? Yes - Remarkable. If no then you too are ignorant.

Aintgonnahappen.

That is your most childish and ridiculous response so far. Congratulations. I decline to descend to that level of discussion.

Similarly the childish (animalistic?) response of #56.

RP, it wasn't worthy of an answer, it was a two edged sword and you know it. It's a question an idiot would post and a bigger one to answer.!