Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Building a New Post and Beam Boatshop.. Materials...

Default Re: Building a New Post and Beam Boatshop.. Materials...

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Concrete will continue to cure for years after it's poured. I understand ancient Roman concrete is still getting stronger but someone may know more about that than I do. Looks like a great shop is in the works. Keep us informed.
    Romans used "concrete" both based on lime. Lime mortar used for sticking bricks together does take centuries to harden, but for structural work with cast concrete in harbour works and big buildings they used a volcanic ash called pozzolan mixed in the lime mortar that set up with in hours.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
    I need to attach the treated lumber sills to the perimeter, and then a piece to the 12" x 12" piers. Do you think I'll weaken those piers by drilling into them prematurely?

Any guidance on minimum distance between edge of pier and anchor so I don't break it?
    I think it would be best to cut any holes you need in the piers with a core bit. You will need a correct diameter core bit, of course and a (probably an SDS) drill motor that rotates NOT hammer (Or does both and turn off the hammer )!!!

Most rental places will have both. And epoxy in any anchors. My 2 centavos, anyway.
    Things are progressing nicely! looks good. Good job!

Been busy each evening after work ... daylight "savings" really is killing me....

Thankfully, my tool reimbursement from the fire losses was substantial. (A lift time's accumulation of machine shop, woodworking, and metal working tools)... I took most of that pile and bought this virtually new tractor (only 60 hours on it). It's been doing all the heavy lifting.. nice deal came with forklift attachment as well as loader, grader, and brush "grapple"...
    Last edited by BrianM; 11-05-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Each joint gets reinforcements on top of the 1/2" bolts with these.. #17 x 8" and 12" "lags"....

These are the "Purlins". These are true 4" x 6"... they are to be lagged on top of the rafter-beams, long edge up on 30" centers... the strength of the roof structure will be nothing less than titanic...

This is the siding.. pine, not very rot resistant.. yes.. I'll be soaking these in Borate then sealing against the weather to protect the salts.. then paint....

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    That 20x20 Shelter barn for $60K erected is $150/SF for an insulated shell.
    You can stick build far less expensively.
    If by insulated shell they mean SIPs, you can drop the timbers and just use the SIPs. Really silly what people do. Poles are the opposite though. Minimal parts and your exterior wall can be basically a curtain.

Sticks always use more wood. Which is not all bad in terms of having something to hang you stuff from.

If your load bearing walls are like 40 feet long, you will only need about 10 posts. With termitesI would be inclined to look into the cost of doing beefy metal square tubes. Just tack weld on some brackets, and hang your 2x12s, and do everything else with wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    If by insulated shell they mean SIPs, you can drop the timbers and just use the SIPs. Really silly what people do. Poles are the opposite though. Minimal parts and your exterior wall can be basically a curtain.

Sticks always use more wood. Which is not all bad in terms of having something to hang you stuff from.

If your load bearing walls are like 40 feet long, you will only need about 10 posts. With termites, I would be inclined to look into the cost of doing beefy metal square tubes. Just tack weld on some brackets, and hang your 2x12s, and do everything else with wood.

Pole Barn construction makes a great deal of sense for simplicity and speed to build as priorities. Costs are pretty low also for the space.

SIP construction makes the best sense for a structure that needs to be kept thermally stable (warm or cool), so for a new house, I'd totally go that way.

Post and Beam wins big points certainly for aesthetics. For the money (just materials and my labor), its very economical and it's a place I'll always look forward to working in.
    An added bonus is if kept tidy enough, I can use if for big family gatherings (I have ALOT of relatives). My wife has a Yoga Studio and occasionally needs a big space for special events and conferences. The views are spectacular so for these reasons we are prioritizing the Aesthetics of the structure (inside and out).

Quote Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
    Pole Barn construction makes a great deal of sense for simplicity and speed to build as priorities. Costs are pretty low also for the space.

SIP construction makes the best sense for a structure that needs to be kept thermally stable (warm or cool), so for a new house, I'd totally go that way.

Post and Beam wins big points certainly for aesthetics. For the money (just materials and my labor), its very economical and it's a place I'll always look forward to working in.
    An added bonus is if kept tidy enough, I can use if for big family gatherings (I have ALOT of relatives). My wife has a Yoga Studio and occasionally needs a big space for special events and conferences. The views are spectacular so for these reasons we are prioritizing the Aesthetics of the structure (inside and out).
    Not to mention the fact that. given the real estate values in our neck of the woods, every dime spent on aesthetics (think "hobby farm") will return several hundredfold. Build it so the side bays can be walled off for fancy horse stalls and, if you ever sell it, the place can be marketed as "horse property." Ain't gentrification wonderful?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    Not to mention the fact that. given the real estate values in our neck of the woods, every dime spent on aesthetics (think "hobby farm") will return several hundredfold. Build it so the side bays can be walled off for fancy horse stalls and, if you ever sell it, the place can be marketed as "horse property." Ain't gentrification wonderful?
    My new barn design allows for exactly this. Of course it's wonderful if'n you can afford it, but you new that already...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

One attribute of Post and Beam buildings are that the 'walls' aren't structural.. they are just siding. You can easily tear them down, and add-on sheds and extensions almost willy-nilly.

This "Saltbox" barn has one "Shed" on it's farside. Add a second on the nearside and it becomes a "Gable Barn".. very modular...

file:///C:/Users/BMifsud/Pictures/Barn/Knee%20Braces%20Driving%20Lag%20Bolts.mp4

Finishing the bents.. assembling the Knee Braces....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgnWk_Pzy10

file:///C:/Users/BMifsud/Pictures/Barn/Knee%20Braces%20Driving%20Lag%20Bolts.mp4

FILE NOT FOUND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgnWk_Pzy10

VIDEO UNAVAILABLE

Should be visible now...