Thread: Devlin Lichen for sea of cortez?

Default Devlin Lichen for sea of cortez?

Starting to think my son amd I need a sailboat for crusing the Sea of Cortez. Would likely keep her in the hard in La Paz and come down to cruise a week or 2 at a time. Devlin has a pram based crusier called Lichen that looks roomy for 20 ft and within the capabilities present. Any other candidates or comments on using this type of hull in this area?

Default Re: Devlin Lichen for sea of cortez?

Fun plan. Not my stomping grounds, but I understand it can really blow like stink there. I might be inclined to something with a pointed bow for the resulting chop. I also like deep keels with ballast, but that's just personal preference.

With care it could be a great boat for the task. But you won't be able to make progress against the wind when it kicks up to 30 kts, so avoiding that situation should be top priority!

4C85A3D4-0B33-48F2-B4C1-5648988B6AD7.gif
    80202257-1C2E-46C3-AAF2-BCCB60CB618C.gif
    http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Oar/RiverRat.html

Tom,
    This post delighted me when I saw it, as I am in La Paz right now, on vacation. This morning I was paddle boarding around the anchored live-a-boards and cruising boats and I thought of Atkin’s River Rat design and Delvin’s Lichen. Not so much for extended Cortez sailing. But as good harbor acomidations, right in the heart of a very nice town and seafront. Also a boat that could be cruised into the close by very lovely small bays and nooks. Where the kayaking, snorkeling, and SUPing is great. One could easily spend a couple weeks in these spots. Truth be told though, it’s the large Cat Cruisers that look really at home here.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

I briefly had an old San Juan 21 centerboarder that I was fixing up. When the job turned out to be a little too much for me I passed the torch to a 'consortium' of old salts who took it down to Baja Sur to keep it there. They seemed to think it would be just about right for the conditions. Personally, I'd be looking at a catamaran with all that sunshine in the forecast.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

If the bottom ( & weight...) is beach friendly you could use Lichen for beach to beach cruising/camping. It's too small for the Sea of Cortez in a blow, too small to comfortably live on safely anchored for long, & too small for anything but a really tiny dinghy...so all in all a poor choice for the intended use. Either go large enough so the boat can take care of you or smaller so you can haul it up on a beach. Beach cruising in the Sea of Cortez is absolutely wonderful if you're into wilderness beauty & self sufficiency.Moe

If you like the pram style of hull, look at the Great Pacific Pelican. It is the 20' version. I'm not sure where to get plans anymore. Someone here probably knows who to contact and how. The Great Pelican would handle the Sea of Cortez perfectly fine. It has much better rough water capability than the Lichen.
    Scott

d8.jpgThis is the Great Pelican
    Scott

I don't know the Lichen as a design that well.
    I'd say that any decked cabin cruiser, sailing in partially protected waters should be able fairly stiff and weatherly, and likely able to recover from a knockdown.
    Having said that, I am sure a L.F.Herreshoff Rozinante or Cat Yawl..(21') would be fine even as a partially open boat.
    What this means is...looking at the photos available, I think this boat is fine, if the rig is designed to reef easily. I am guessing that the design has little or no ballast... and gets its stability from having fairly flat ish bottom.

I've always liked to looks of Lichen, Sam Devlin has historically designed to match the waters of Puget Sound, I don't know how that compares to the Sea of Cortez. Specs for Lichen indicate 850lbs of ballast is in there someplace.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler