Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thin hardwood stock

Default Re: Thin hardwood stock

I'd say that unless your thickness planer is a particularly good one with perfectly setup pressure rollers you will shatter a lot of wood. Any big local mill shop will have a thickness sander and that is the best solution.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

It's got strings! It sounds good although I'm not satisfied with the frets, they may get redone. All in all I think it's a decent first try, enough so that I'm going to try another one..........tiptoe through the tulips.

dogs and uke 005 (218x420).jpg

dogs and uke 010 (212x420).jpg

Beauty! Keep it up!

My shop built thickness sander for the wood lathe works ok, but its very awkward to use as I have to push the stock through, let go of it at the wrong moment and it flings the workpiece across the shop. I splurged and ordered one of these and it arrived today. It makes thicknessing stock much easier,it was nicely set up right out of the box and I really like the motorized feed table.I'm looking forward to "thinning" some backs,tops and sides for another ukulele. They'll go through the planer to as thin as I dare, about 3.5 mm and then get taken down to working size of less than 2mm on the new sander.

w1740-e2799ec19c34f6425195ae3909b18ca1.jpg

So the sander works very well I thinned the back, top and side stock for a second ukulele.Top and back are 1.8 mm thick while the sides are 1.5 mm. Espave for the sides and back and spruce for the top.

These are the back pieces

uku number 2 007 (338x450).jpg

Would thin plywood be suitable? ( I know didily about what you making.)

Anyway, Lee Valley has this stuff in small sheets, http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,250,43217
    basil

Solid wood stock seems to be the preferred material for string instruments. There is a hardwood company in Chilliwack called Wood to Works that has a good selection of solid stock meant for instrument making and now between my thickness planer and sander its easy to get it to the right thickness.The website woodtoworks.com is an interesting place to browse

Tangential to your question but might be useful some day ... was just on the throne reading an old Woodenboat - I think May-June 2017 but don't hold me to it - and there was an article about a bandsaw blade - the Wood Slicer ? - that would happily resaw to 3/32 thick. That'd be 2.5 mm and closer than what you're starting at ... if some day you want to slice up some thicker pieces. Sounded interesting for people that do laminating, too.

The guy who wrote the article was seriously impressed, and it was in Woodenboat, so maybe some truth in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7Sa2GW0iu8 I was just looking at these. Think I'm going to get a good resaw bandaw this spring. Watch his slicing at the end. Dave