Thread: Thin hardwood stock

Default Thin hardwood stock

I have need for some thin stock, something 1.5 to 2 mm thick. My thickness planer will take it down to 3.5 mm. Does anyone here use a sled to get thinner stock from their planer? Any other methods?

Default Re: Thin hardwood stock

Quote Originally Posted by cathouse willy View Post
    I have need for some thin stock, something 1.5 to 2 mm thick. My thickness planer will take it down to 3.5 mm. Does anyone here use a sled to get thinner stock from their planer? Any other methods?
    Yes, that's entirely possible. A bit of googling will net you the how-to details. But with that thickness, your planer best be fully fettled. If you have someone who you can contract it to, esp. if they have the capability to dial it in with abrasives (wide-belt, drum sander, or abrasive thicknesser), you might be better off.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

How wide do you need your stock? A thickness sander should go down to ~1-1.5mm with no problem. A bowyer friend of mine made one with his belt sander that worked pretty well for 2-3" wide strips.

Sounds like construction grade veneer.
    http://www.robbins.co.uk/marine/veneers.asp
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

How big and what species?
    I've used a sub table in a big planer,but it's always a gamble.
    A little one should be better.
    The thickness sander was a vast improvement.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    How wide do you need your stock? A thickness sander should go down to ~1-1.5mm with no problem. A bowyer friend of mine made one with his belt sander that worked pretty well for 2-3" wide strips.
    This is a very simple method to run veneer down to well less than 1mm. How thin it can be worked depends on the skill of the operator but 0.5mm is pretty easy.
    Tom L

Thanks for the replies. The wood is black walnut and spruce, pre planed to 3/16 thick and up to 11" wide. A thickness sander would be the best but I don't have access to one so the planer is my best shot. Luckily I have lots of scrap to practice on.

Use freshly sharpened blades and a very light touch.

Be very careful about the orientation of the grain going into the planer. Thin stock like that has a habit of exploding if you are shearing the wood in the wrong direction.

So here is the stock I have to resize, black walnut and afromosia. 1.5 to 2 mm thick for the walnut is what I need. I'm nervous about working it,It's so nice I'll feel really bad if any of it became firewood.The planer will reliably take it down to about 3.5 mm and I'll finish it on a shop built thickness sander for the wood lathe. (under construction)
    ukulele wood 002 (800x600).jpg

What are you making?
    Steve Martinsen

Inspired by Bruce Taylors' ukulele build on the homemade christmas gifts thread I'm going to try my first musical instrument project, a baritone ukulele.I hope I can do the materials justice.

Short and thin are dodgy at best in a planer even with a sled or alternative bed, find somebody with a widebelt sander, like S*** through a goose

Like everyone else said, that thin in a thickness planer is dicey. Increase your odds by angling the stock as much as possible. Also, wiping the stock with a wet rag can help