Page 1 of 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: What has happened to the size of pickups?

Default What has happened to the size of pickups?

Mine is the red one, fortunately.

2E5CF568-B3CF-4483-BF6D-E2704C07BAA0.jpg

Default Re: What has happened to the size of pickups?

The juxtaposition is breathtaking.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

Drill Baby, Drill...

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Like megs land yachts.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Drill Baby, Drill...
    I suspect the regulations regarding fuel mileage have been exed. The return of huge trucks that make 5-10 mpg are coming back like the dinosaur! Big trucks are guaranteed to make America great again!

Mine, unfortunately, looks more like the forward beast. I'm looking forward to the day when my workload does not require driving the beast around an urban area, nor require feeding the thirsty monster. I remember owning one of the earliest Toyotas, even smaller than yours, with room for only two, really, on the bench seat. I sure wish we in the U.S. got the same small diesel trucks much of the rest of the world sees in showrooms. I looked at a Chevy Canyon diesel the other day - and even that is more fancier and bloated than I would wish. But far better gas mileage than the current V-8 4wd Crewcab Tundra. And... a Chevy. I remember GM diesels past, with some trepidation. Maybe by the time I'm ready, decent used ones will have come on the market... or others will be available.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

And look how small the bed is! What is that, 5 feet long? Hehe.

Peace,
    Robert

Relatively cheap gas, for one, making a big pickup not prohibitively expensive to drive, and technological improvements have made the mileage not as bad as it used to be. I suspect another factor is fashion driven by social/political polarization: 'Yep, a new RAM MACHO GIGANTOMASHER MOUNTAIN MAN EDITION will really pizz off those Prius-driving libtards!' In some case, they're real work trucks where you need the payload or towing capacity, but I'd bet that half of those I see driving around the city are mostly for show.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 12-23-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I don't even understand why most people have pickups. They get awful traction in bad weather. They get poor mileage. You need an extra box in the back to carry groceries or anything small. And anyone not working in the trades only needs them once every few months.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I don't even understand why most people have pickups. They get awful traction in bad weather. They get poor mileage. You need an extra box in the back to carry groceries or anything small. And anyone not working in the trades only needs them once every few months.
    If they need it for work, that's understandable, otherwise I agree with CW.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Mine, unfortunately, looks more like the forward beast. I'm looking forward to the day when my workload does not require driving the beast around an urban area, nor require feeding the thirsty monster. I remember owning one of the earliest Toyotas, even smaller than yours, with room for only two, really, on the bench seat. I sure wish we in the U.S. got the same small diesel trucks much of the rest of the world sees in showrooms. I looked at a Chevy Canyon diesel the other day - and even that is more fancier and bloated than I would wish. But far better gas mileage than the current V-8 4wd Crewcab Tundra. And... a Chevy. I remember GM diesels past, with some trepidation. Maybe by the time I'm ready, decent used ones will have come on the market... or others will be available.
    I drive a Mitsubishi Triton, 2.5 litre turbo diesel, four door pickup. 2WD, 6 speed manual. Its not as big as some of the other pickups available here but for me is just about right.
    I burn just over 7 litres per 100 km, thats close to 40 mpg, and thats driving at normal highway speeds. Its comfortable, quiet, well specced, is rated to tow up to 7500 lbs, is of a size that I can park in a normal car park space without any issues and everyone who comes to visit from the USA wishes that they could get a similar vehicle in the USA.
    These Japanese branded diesel pickups are taking around 20% of new car sales here, they're nice family cars. tow big loads and the bed is big enough to be useful. I've a drawer system in mine, under the fiberglass cap, that carries a big selection of engineering tools and the other day I had 10 sheets of plywood in there as well, hanging out the back a bit but I got them home.
    I'm a fan, having driven several of the big American pickups, I'd much rather have my Mitsi.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Mine gets great mileage and I use it to go to dump and to haul plywood. But if it’s raining, it’s pretty much useless. Fortunately it doesn’t rain much in Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Mine is the red one, fortunately.

2E5CF568-B3CF-4483-BF6D-E2704C07BAA0.jpg
    look at that hedge! I’m guessing yr truck is a basic 90’s Toyota or Nissan bit it looks like a VW rabbit pickup in size.

My whole life I've wanted a pickup with high ground clearance and a camper shell for camping and travelling. Now I have the time, they don't make the trucks. Do they still make camper shells?
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

a collection of factors over decades made them economically affordable regardless of mileage. Also you can look over other people for a sense of security.

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Another penis extension device, but the marketing department knows what sells and to whom. I'd love to know how many they sell to women.

I have an F150 nearly identical to the one pictured in the OP. Tows the travel trailer (6500 lbs) while comfortably transporting a family of three 6 footers, one 5 footer and a 100 lb dog, all their bikes, various sundries, and firewood.

Unladen, it gets a little better than 20 mpg and is much more comfortable than the GTI it replaced. Overall, I’m pleased with it.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

I want one of these, but not until they are offered as plug in hybrid electric. That could be a while

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

I used to own a 2004 Toyota Tacoma short cab / short bed - just a bit bigger than the small truck in the OP - I too have watched over the last 12 years or so as the Tacoma and Tundra (actually most trucks) seemed to develop a thyroid condition and just keep getting bigger, wider, heavier. I bought the Tacoma as strictly a commuter vehicle, with 4WD to handle unplowed roads in rural southeast Minnesota, and in winter kept 5 80lb tubes of sand in the bed to aid traction. It never let me down, but I no longer have a need for that sort of vehicle .

the intended use has changed. now the things are intended to be "seen" in and no longer as light duty trucks. it's just about fashion
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    .Next month I have to get 20 squares of roofing. 60 sheets of plywood, 16 foot boards, I don't drive a big pickup to be macho. The last thing i want is a lifted truck..
    Most working trucks aren't very high for exactly that reason. Why work any harder than you have to? But an awful lot of big pickups are just for show. Nothing really wrong with that; so are most Corvettes.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Guilty as charged. Toyota Tundra Platinum - owned by the company. I need the ability to go to remote mine sites towing a job trailer in any weather and bring another 3 guys with me. When I'm doing calls in the cities or non remote places in good weather I use our personal Honda Civic, company supplies the gas. The car is much more comfortable than the truck. Keeping in mind I have arthritis in my ankles, knees, and hips, also two crushed disks in my back. In the truck I have to stop every 1/2 hour or so to walk around, the car I can go almost 2 hours without stopping.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Had a couple guys doing some remodeling at our place recently to get ready to sell. They both drove full sized Bubba trucks. Cant figure out why these folks drive pickups. No secure storage for tools, hard to park, bad mileage. A real PITA to load stuff in the back.
    Unless I was carrying livestock or needed the ability to tow a 5th wheel trailer they seem a poor choice. One of the new small commercial vans would be much more practical.
    And don't even get me started on all the bald, goateed, tattooed Bubbas that wouldn't know which end of a hammer to use but insist on backing in thier F 5000 RamRaptor StupidDuty Silverdildo at Starbucks.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Had a couple guys doing some remodeling at our place recently to get ready to sell. They both drove full sized Bubba trucks. Cant figure out why these folks drive pickups. No secure storage for tools, hard to park, bad mileage. A real PITA to load stuff in the back.
    Unless I was carrying livestock or needed the ability to tow a 5th wheel trailer they seem a poor choice. One of the new small commercial vans would be much more practical.
    And don't even get me started on all the bald, goateed, tattooed Bubbas that wouldn't know which end of a hammer to use but insist on backing in thier F 5000 RamRaptor StupidDuty Silverdildo at Starbucks.
    guess who I'm thinking of right now!
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Fortunately it doesn’t rain much in Seattle.
    Maybe I'm thinking of a different Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Do they still make camper shells?
    I know they make shells, but I don't know about campers.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Also you can look over other people for a sense of security.
    I think you mean "superiority" and I do get that.

Maybe I'm thinking of a different Seattle.

I know they make shells, but I don't know about campers.

I think you mean "superiority" and I do get that.
    not superiority... just security, really

Nothing quite like monster truck headlights above the height of your rear view mirror.

I find that a normal (96 F150) or small (2007 Ranger) and a flat deck trailer that fits both trucks is all I need or ever would have needed, except when we had the kids. Then we had a 90 F 250 crew cab and a VW Rabbit plus the same trailer.

My buddy has one of those Honda short-bed pickups that seats 4 (5 if they are small enough). I confess that is a pretty good compromise between what I have (Subaru Outback) and a regular pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Dang, Bub! DON'T hold that in too long, y'all gonna bust!

Tell us what you REALLY think!

(We got a ton o' them idjiits here in West Knoxville too, maybe even worster.)
    Last edited by Vince Brennan; 12-23-2017 at 03:15 PM.

I drive a Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD with a standard cab and 8 foot bed. It was hard to find a truck with an 8 foot bed. I use it to haul lumber, my 10' row boat and miscellaneous boat stuff. I also use it during the winter to plow snow on the 3/8 of a mile private road I live on and in my driveway (40'x80'). I used it this morning to plow last night's snow and will be moving snow again on Monday (6-10" expected). Except when I am plowing snow I get just under 20 mpg. Plowing snow can greatly reduce the mileage if the snow is deep and heavy. In the winter I put 450 pounds of sand in back for traction. The truck has gone through 24" of snow. I couldn't manage with a smaller vehicle for snow plowing. You need the weight.
    Last edited by Todd D; 12-23-2017 at 03:05 PM.

They still make truck campers, but they have gotten very fancy and heavy, not to mention expensive. You need a 3/4 ton or one ton truck to carry all but the smallest now.

I don't think a Silverado 1500 is really a good choice for plowing unless the frame has been beefed up a lot.

Spotted this one in Bath. Room for a crew. A place to lock your tools, and a load of stuff in back. Sides fold down into a flatbed
    20160713_154222.jpg