Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567 LastLast

Thread: What has happened to the size of pickups?

Default Re: What has happened to the size of pickups?

This what we use if we need 1.5 ton carrying capacity.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

That's certainly more sane than what we get in that capacity. I'd need 4WD though & would prefer smaller.

We also don't get fold down bed sides.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

^ Yeah, I'd want 4WD, too. I'd also need another row of seats, since I have kids. Without the crew cab, I need to buy a second vehicle for family transport and that can't be good for the environment. ( I know it would be bad for my pocketbook)

And, so, we just go bigger and more expensive...

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

My new Ridgeline is just right for me. It tows up to 5000 lbs and the bed can handle 1500 lbs of cargo, but it gets halfway decent mileage and it is extremely civilized to drive.

The truck guys guys make fun of it, but it's more pickup than most people will ever need.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    And, unfortunately, they are rolling out the Ranger WITHOUT a diesel option. While holding it out as a possibility for later. <sigh>
    My little Danish buddy at work just bought herself the diesel Ranger- fifty grand plus six thousand dollars worth of extras, including a well made bull bar and some seriously good lights. It came with a factory built fiberglass cover for the tray. Full canopies are available. I've driven it a couple of hundred miles and really like it. And she definitely didn't buy it as a penis extension- if she ever needed one of those she only needs to ask.
    I drive a twin cab- four wheel drive with bull bar. My wife drove ordinary sedans for ever, but after demolishing three in a row hitting wildlife, I finally convinced her to get something a little more solid. I need the carrying capacity in the back. I like the bigger wheels with the tyres that grip. We do a lot of miles and a lot of night driving and one of the big advantages with a truck is that you are sitting much higher relative to the oncoming headlights and things that want to suicide into the front of your vehicle. The modern pickups are better in almost every way. The two things I most dislike about them are firstly the shortarsed trays on them- the old ones were long enough that you could lay out your bedroll, carry full length strainer posts for fencing, or roll a big Harley straight in and close the tailgate. And second, the fiberglass and plastic bits of trim and the hugely expensive lights and paint jobs which make it a scarily expensive adventure to go off road with them. And by off road I don't mean off the bitumen- I mean no roads, which we used to do a lot. I'm not surprised by the number of derogatory, negative comments on this thread- but I notice that many of them are by the same crowd who despise Harleys, gun owners and who refer to fibreglass boats as frozen snot- in other words, not people I'd want to share a beer with anyway. JayInOz
    Last edited by JayInOz; 01-31-2018 at 12:45 AM.

My game plan - if decent mid-sized diesel pickups start arriving here - is to hang onto my Tundra for a few more years, then shop for a used mid-size as my 'last truck'. That means it needs to last another 25 - 30 years <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Good luck with that David- my Dad had three "last trucks" JayInOz

Mitsubishi Canter 2 ton 4x4.

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Now - shrink that to a 3/4 ton with an 8 ft. & it'd be perfect!

Change the parking brake, a really scary thing.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

This what we use if we need 1.5 ton carrying capacity.

ours have to be able to go 80mph and accelerate to 60 in under ten seconds. It’s in the Bill of Rights somewhere.

We do have trucks like that here in the States. I have considered getting an older Isuzu (or like) box truck and converting it to a pickup. The smaller ones have nice 4 pot diesels too. The problem is though that it's very hard to find them here with three pedals, and I can't abide a slush-box.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    ours have to be able to go 80mph and accelerate to 60 in under ten seconds. It’s in the Bill of Rights somewhere.
    I took my drivers test in my dad's Mercedes 190D. 0-60 in roughly 60 seconds. When I went to pull out onto the busy road from the Motor Vehicle building, I had to wait for a big space. The instructor said "What are you waiting for, Christmas?". I replied that this was a slow car & it needed plenty of space. When I finally pulled out, I floored it & told him that this was full throttle. He was completely shocked. "Something this slow shouldn't be allowed on the road!". Jerk made me do my parallel parking test on a very steep hill (nose pointed downhill) - fun in a manual transmission car...

Quote Originally Posted by moTthediesel View Post
    We do have trucks like that here in the States. I have considered getting an older Isuzu (or like) box truck and converting it to a pickup. The smaller ones have nice 4 pot diesels too. The problem is though that it's very hard to find them here with three pedals, and I can't abide a slush-box.
    We do. There was a 1.5 ton Mitsubishi-Fuso 4WD with a dump at an auction I went to a few months ago. Very tempting - but just too big. I've been hoping we'd get smaller trucks - as to convert that to what I'd want, it'd mean changing out all the springs & going to singles in the rear.

I drive a Ford F-150 4x4. Short-box, super-cab. It's a great vehicle. I have a wooden cap on it (T and G varnished pine), and it is my boat-airplane-canoeing service vehicle, hauling fuel and wood and stuff all year long, plus being a workshop. And also takes the setup-equipment for my band.

My first was a 1988. This one is much, much better. The 6-speed transmission suits the small-block V-8 perfectly. It sifts along at 90 km/hr turning 1600 rpm, and the mileage isn't bad at all. Very smooth, very quiet.

We have a 700 ft driveway and live in the snowbelt -- the 4WD is essential. Often I don't blow the snow away -- I just pack it down with the truck.

I have 92,000 km on the 2013 now, and NOTHING has broken on it. All I've done is oil changes. And wipers. And no rust yet.

I plan on driving it for another 10 years.

What a cool airplane. What's its story?

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I took my drivers test in my dad's Mercedes 190D. 0-60 in roughly 60 seconds. When I went to pull out onto the busy road from the Motor Vehicle building, I had to wait for a big space. The instructor said "What are you waiting for, Christmas?". I replied that this was a slow car & it needed plenty of space. When I finally pulled out, I floored it & told him that this was full throttle. He was completely shocked. "Something this slow shouldn't be allowed on the road!". Jerk made me do my parallel parking test on a very steep hill (nose pointed downhill) - fun in a manual transmission car...
    I delivered an early 1950s one of those back from where its owner had left it at the airport, felt as though I should open a hatch in the floor and scoot it along with my feet. It had though done some half million miles and was still ticking along just fine, albeit somewhat relaxed in pace.
    The small turbo diesels of today use the same fuel, have the same four cycle with pistons and valves but dont share much else.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

We had one of those with a horse box on the back for a while, even with two ponies in the back its 2.5 litre gas engine got us along just fine.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    My little Danish buddy at work just bought herself the diesel Ranger- fifty grand plus six thousand dollars worth of extras, including a well made bull bar and some seriously good lights. It came with a factory built fiberglass cover for the tray. Full canopies are available. I've driven it a couple of hundred miles and really like it. And she definitely didn't buy it as a penis extension- if she ever needed one of those she only needs to ask.
    I drive a twin cab- four wheel drive with bull bar. My wife drove ordinary sedans for ever, but after demolishing three in a row hitting wildlife, I finally convinced her to get something a little more solid. I need the carrying capacity in the back. I like the bigger wheels with the tyres that grip. We do a lot of miles and a lot of night driving and one of the big advantages with a truck is that you are sitting much higher relative to the oncoming headlights and things that want to suicide into the front of your vehicle. The modern pickups are better in almost every way. The two things I most dislike about them are firstly the shortarsed trays on them- the old ones were long enough that you could lay out your bedroll, carry full length strainer posts for fencing, or roll a big Harley straight in and close the tailgate. And second, the fiberglass and plastic bits of trim and the hugely expensive lights and paint jobs which make it a scarily expensive adventure to go off road with them. And by off road I don't mean off the bitumen- I mean no roads, which we used to do a lot. I'm not surprised by the number of derogatory, negative comments on this thread- but I notice that many of them are by the same crowd who despise Harleys, gun owners and who refer to fibreglass boats as frozen snot- in other words, not people I'd want to share a beer with anyway. JayInOz
    Jay, our American friends may not realise that the Ford Ranger that we see in this part of the world is a Mazda BT50 with different trim and badging, their "Ranger" uses the same sized tyres but thats about the only parts that could be exchanged between the two.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by moTthediesel View Post
    What's a slush box ?
    Grateful Dead

^ Peter, a slush-box is a nickname for an automatic transmission

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    We had one of those with a horse box on the back for a while, even with two ponies in the back its 2.5 litre gas engine got us along just fine.

John Welsford
    I don’t doubt it. Here with low cost fuel and the various policies that made light trucks popular commuter vehicles horsepower and car like acceleration are expected. I grew up with a ‘59 VW van with 36 hp. Dad would tow a 14’ sailboat to the resevoir with it. We got to a lot of places, at a leisurely pace. In the USofA a truck that took 16 seconds to get to 65 mph unloaded would never sell. If it can’t go 80mph it’ll never sell to the mass market.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    What a cool airplane. What's its story?
    Not to side-track the thread, but here... http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNe...lver-Kite.aspx

I don’t doubt it. Here with low cost fuel and the various policies that made light trucks popular commuter vehicles horsepower and car like acceleration are expected. I grew up with a ‘59 VW van with 36 hp. Dad would tow a 14’ sailboat to the resevoir with it. We got to a lot of places, at a leisurely pace. In the USofA a truck that took 16 seconds to get to 65 mph unloaded would never sell. If it can’t go 80mph it’ll never sell to the mass market.
    It would have taken a decent downhill and a tailwind to even get to 65, but we managed to travel a couple of hundred miles each way to get the daughter to her events, loaded with horses, hay and camping gear. We had a good time with that thing, one of the downers though was that every time a friend moved house we were the first ones they thought of to come and help. Actually, generally I was pleased to help but there did at times seem to be a lot of them.

John Welsford

I have been following this discussion with interest. Keeping in mind, we are of course talking about our wooden boat totters to take our pride and joy to the launch site or bring home supplies to our shop where we build or repair our wooden water craft. It seems a fair number of respondents are very fond of the smaller Asian 4x4 light duty trucks with the smallish Diesel engines and manual transmissions. And a fair number complain about the lack of the compact and midsize pickups in the US. If you snoop around in the comercial truck world of the city trucks, you can find close approximations of these Asian trucks here. But they are usually painted white, are not very comfortable, and expensive to buy new, then you have to go find an outfitter to install your pickup box (or trey (or is it ‘tray’?) The point of fact is light weight light duty small and medium size pickups are available in the US and have been more or less continually since the 1970’s. And even earlier. The reason there are not many available is almost nobody was buying them. They buy the big ones instead. Even in the 50’s and 60’s we had small pickups. Jeep had their little forward control utility pickups in the 50’s and into the early 60’s VW had their little type 2 beetle engined dropside critter based off of their micro bus combi. Ford responded with their little cab forward Econoline rear drive pickup with the little iron I-6 motor between the seats, and it would lift the rear wheels about 4 feet into the air during an emergency panic stop. Dodge offered the A-100 version based on its compact ‘A 100’ van which also had the motor between the seats. It was not quite as exciting to stop as the Ford because it had better weight balance. And Chevrolet sold the Corvair 95 pickup. It was the best handling and most off road capable of the three domestics. It had a 50/50 weight distribution empty so it was not plagued with the tail happiness of the cars. It was a cab forward model based on the Greenbrier van. It had a 95 inch wheelbase, it’s engine was an aluminum air cooled flat 6 cylinder located in the rear instead of the VW’s 4, had 4 wheel independent suspension (so did the VW) and had a novel passenger side bed door which folded down and became a ramp to use to access the bed to load cargo. The bed floor was dropped in the middle so you had a very low load floor and most all of the payload was carried in the middle of the truck. With just a tire rating (4 to 6 ply) upgrade, it could carry one ton of cargo with no modifications. And with its rear engine traction and suspension articulation with a almost totally flat undercarriage, it would go almost anywhere. It was a market sales flop. These were all gone by the late 60’s. Even International (now Navistar) had the Scout/Terra little pickups offered from the 60’s into the 70’s. But. Starting in the mid 60’s, 2 unknown Japanese brands started showing up in very small numbers. One was from a company called Datsun. (The name Nissan used here for a while.) the other was something called a Stout made by a company called Toyota. They never stopped selling their little trucks. They grew and by the early 70’s, they were selling enough trucks that the big 3, GM, Ford, and Chrysler wanted back in. Ford initially returned with a rebadged Mazda called a Courier, GM with the Isuzu pickup called the Chevy LUV and Chrysler with the sharp looking Mitsubishi pickup they called the D-50 or Ram 50, Then these were eventually replaced with the home grown versions known as the Ranger, S10 and Dakota. By 2012, all these trucks were again gone except the Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, GM Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Honda has reintroduced its Ridgeline after a short absence, Ford is going to introduce the Ranger it’s currently selling outside the United States, and Chrysler is going to re-enter with its Wrangler derivative pickup which may be called the Scrambler, a name from its CJ based pickup it sold for a while in the early 80’s. Rumors are floating around the Dakota will be coming back to. Other than the International Scout, and the FC Jeep, 4x4 compact pickups were not a common item until the late mid to late 70’s unless they were custom conversions. I am not counting the first generation Ford Bronco because that was not considered a pickup. Although you could remove the rear seat and front passenger seat and use it as one. I do not know if very many people did. Even today, I can go to my local dealer and get a small Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier or the mid size Honda Ridgeline and Chevrolet Colorado or GMC Canyon. Also over the years we had the car based Ford Ranchero and Chevrolet El Camino, the small front wheel drive Dodge Rampage and VW rabbit pickups. And then their was the Subaru BRAT and Baha pickups. Two oddballs that were actually pretty good and just so uniquely Subaru. And almost all of these could pull at least a small boat, if not carry it in its box.
    Last edited by AmericanRambler; 02-01-2018 at 01:30 AM. Reason: edit and spelling

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    ^ Peter, a slush-box is a nickname for an automatic transmission

Rick
    Thanks, I can't stand auto transmissions in utes either, cars are different !
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    Not to side-track the thread, but here... http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNe...lver-Kite.aspx
    Wasn't the Lysander used for dropping off and picking up agents, downed pilots, and other allied assets in occupied France?
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

They import these micro pickups into the US. They are not road legal, and get around the emission and safety laws by being sold as agricultural or industrial equipment somehow. I have seen them running around some of the Midwest and mountain states in farm and ranch country. Since they have enclosed cabs, 4x4, and heaters, I see them a lot where it gets real cold, icy and snowy. But if you ever get hit by a regular road vehicle, well, they just scoop it up and save the cost of a casket when they bury you in it. I see an occasional old FJ Toyota, but never as nice as this one shown. They usually are dirty, scratched, dented and modified.

The owner of a local scrap metal dealership used to drive one of these- or something similar. Handy for carrying your lunch or a carton of beer I suppose JayInOz

I'll soon be swapping the chassis and bulkhead out on mine + tipper conversion. That should give me another 30 years of blissful tractor abuse.

IMG_7710A.jpg

IMG_7712A.jpg

One can buy a 110 Defender here. Problem is that the prices are nuts because they are all gray market. Oh - you might find a rough one with a worn out 200TDI for 20K. A 300 in good shape is at least 30K & good luck finding a TD5. A 300 that's all painted purty & nice interior, etc. will bring 40-60K. These are all US dollars.

My very first car was a 1960 190D. That four on the tree confused a lot of people. Wasn't fast but would go forever on a gallon of diesel at farm prices.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Yes, one of the reasons to spend money on it is that they hold their value so well. I bought it 10 years ago as a very rough truck, rebuilt the entire front end /steering suspension, and have replaced most ancilliaries over the years. Gearbox, clutch, turbo, steering box, etc. You could say I'm too invested to buy another with unknown parts life; better the devil you know.

It's a 200 TDi, no mods. The ride / ergonomics are rough as a bag of nails, but will do 70 Mph, and tow 3 tonnes up a 1 in 7 hill. Also had it windows deep in swamp with a tonne of wood in the back several times, never let me down as long as I spend my Sundays underneath it. Useful as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceboy View Post
    My very first car was a 1960 190D. That four on the tree confused a lot of people. Wasn't fast but would go forever on a gallon of diesel at farm prices.
    This was a 59 - so basically the same. I later had a 220D that wasn't a whole lot faster, but at least the shifter was in the console...

One can buy a 110 Defender here. Problem is that the prices are nuts because they are all gray market. Oh - you might find a rough one with a worn out 200TDI for 20K. A 300 in good shape is at least 30K & good luck finding a TD5. A 300 that's all painted purty & nice interior, etc. will bring 40-60K. These are all US dollars.
    And yet still inferior to your average Jeep. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.