Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 456 ... LastLast

Thread: What has happened to the size of pickups?

My favorite is the doofuses driving a jacked-up F-350 crew cab dually here in Seattle. With a drawbar in the receiver and extend 12 inches beyond the rear bumper. And they try to parallel park.

I swear every time I see a rig like that, I'm going to starting yanking the clevis pin and tossing the drawbar in the bed. Maybe I should just leave it on their hood instead.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    just a couple days ago I saw an older woman climb up into the passenger seat of a new big fourdoor 4x4 pickup. It was about three big steps up from the ground. It’s so you can drive off road with big loads I guess.
    We did that with pickups all the time that were not built so high. Ford started the absurdity, but Chevy's were still reasonable through 2004 I know (I owned a 2004).

It doesn't need such height to go off road.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Default Re: What has happened to the size of pickups?

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Mine is the red one, fortunately.

Attachment 7691
    The beds seem to be about the same size. People have different needs and the manufacturers make what consumers want.

I find my minivan does most of what I need a pickup for. 4x8 sheet goods. 10' wood slabs.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    .Interesting, most utes sold in NZ are double cabs..... Here's NZ best seller:

They're finally bringing back the Ranger to the U.S. There are even rumors that they might offer it with a diesel. Now THAT'S a truck I'd be interested in.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    We did that with pickups all the time that were not built so high. Ford started the absurdity, but Chevy's were still reasonable through 2004 I know (I owned a 2004).

It doesn't need such height to go off road.

As I mentioned - I have an 04 2500HD 4WD right now. Bed is still too high, but lower than modern 1/2 tons. Also as mentioned, 70's Jeep pickups were lower (with 4WD) than modern 2WD 1/2 tons. I'm not likely to be convinced that the modern trucks are even as good off-road, much less better than the J20. Besides, how often does Joe Surburbia take his F150 4WD crew cab off road? Once in the first 6 months & then never again (after paying $500 to get towed back out & $2K for the body work)?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I was amazed by what they drive around in in Canada, it makes the NZ pickups look quite small.

I overheard two guys talking about their trucks for about half an hour in the motel carpark. Best quote: "You gotta have the rubber, and you gotta have the lift".

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    As I mentioned - I have an 04 2500HD 4WD right now. Bed is still too high, but lower than modern 1/2 tons. Also as mentioned, 70's Jeep pickups were lower (with 4WD) than modern 2WD 1/2 tons. I'm not likely to be convinced that the modern trucks are even as good off-road, much less better than the J20. Besides, how often does Joe Surburbia take his F150 4WD crew cab off road? Once in the first 6 months & then never again (after paying $500 to get towed back out & $2K for the body work)?
    I had an 04 2500, but it was 2wd and the bed was not too high, or I got used to it.

I do trust these modern trucks off road, but being off road capable shouldn't mean I can't use a pickup as a pickup could traditionally be used.

Again, I understand there are lots to like about these things, cmfort, ride, towing, etc:. But they still add up to a horrible pickup if you cannot toss a shovel and pick in the back, and the cassially be able to reach over the side and grab the one you want to use.
    And I blame all of you who say "I love my truck" . If everyone admitted that the king has no clothes, things would change.

Those lifted trucks were welcome sights during the hurricane flooding.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

Saw a neat small pickup at the airport in Montego Bay recently. Mitsubishi. And it was a diesel. Of course it isn't sold in the US.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

South America has had Rangers with 4 cylinder turbo diesels for years: they have a different name, though.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

Tesla Truck, coming soon

I'm in. The furthest I ever go in my truck is from Ballard to Washington Park in Anacortes, which is 162 miles round trip. Most electric cars already have a range of about 200 miles right now. Elon's truck is a few years away. Battery range will only improve between now and then. My trailer and boat aren't even 1,000lbs. Ought to be fine.

However, I might not do it if it looks dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I road in my father's mid-size pickup today. I don't remember the make, but it's bigger than his old truck and not as big as some I've ridden in.

I have to confess that it was very comfortable.

He uses it to carry wood for his workshop.

All of the 'Japanese' utes sold in NZ are actually made in Thailand. Even the Fords, which have a lot in common with the Mazdas. The American Styling of the Fords gives them a sales advantage here over the more Aisian looking Mazdas.

Ford Ranger, Toyota Hilux, Mazda BT50, Holden Colorado, Isuzu D Max, Mitsubishi Triton. After the Japanese Utes, the VW Amarok is probably the next best seller. Interestingly, Honda doesnt market a ute in this part of the world. There are some Chinese Utes available which are yet to gain a significant foothold in the market, so too Mahindra from India, which being smaller could sell better if it didnt look so odd.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Remember that line? “Got a big boat? You need a big truck.”? People who buy these trucks want the capability to carry 5 friends or family members and tow a large trailer which gets bigger and heavier every year. And they always ‘need’ the bigger engine and so on. A half ton pickup used to tow only up to 5000 lbs and carried only 1000 to 1800 lbs. in the back And made do with 150 to 250 hp with 2 wheel drive and weighed in around 3000 to 4400 lbs empty. Now 2 doors and up to 3 passengers with an 8 foot box has morphed into a half ton pickup with 4 doors, carry’s up to 6 passengers, can tow up to 10,000 pounds or a little more, can carry between 1,000 and 2,200 pounds in the box, has auto select 4 wheel drive, comes with 275 to 430 hp and has more than tripled the number of gears in the transmission. (From 3 to 10 speeds) plus they can have luxury interiors equal to or better than 98% of the premium luxury brand cars out there. And now they weigh between 4900 and 6800 lbs. the 3/4 and 1 tons are heavier still and can gross out at over 32,000 pounds all up gross weight. Most local and federal jurisdictions require you to get a CDL endorsement on your license if your 26,001 lbs spec gross weight and up. A bunch of drivers of these bigger 1 ton things are technically not properly licensed to drive their own pickup! How crazy is that? Even the new smaller midsize pickups beginning to return to the market scale out over 4,000 lbs empty weight. My 1989 long box F-150 is a runt next to a new F-150 short box. It’s lower, shorter, and narrower and lighter by a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    All of the 'Japanese' utes sold in NZ are actually made in Thailand. Even the Fords, which have a lot in common with the Mazdas. The American Styling of the Fords gives them a sales advantage here over the more Aisian looking Mazdas.

Ford Ranger, Toyota Hilux, Mazda BT50, Holden Colorado, Isuzu D Max, Mitsubishi Triton. After the Japanese Utes, the VW Amarok is probably the next best seller. Interestingly, Honda doesnt market a ute in this part of the world. There are some Chinese Utes available which are yet to gain a significant foothold in the market, so too Mahindra from India, which being smaller could sell better if it didnt look so odd.
    We're seeing a big number of SsangYong pickups here, I took one for a test drive before choosing my Mitsi Triton. If anything it was slightly better specced, but the bed was shorter and the footspace in the back seats markedly less. The other issue was that although the cost of a dealer service was about the same for the two, the SsangYong has services every 10K km and the Mitsi every 15K, thats a big difference over the life of the vehicle.
    I've driven late model Chevy and Fords, the USA ones, and have to say that I found them clumsy, poor handling, and just too darn big. I do appreciate that I'm most likely to enjoy the type of vehicle that I'm familiar with, but I've driven heavies that I liked better than the F250 I was saddled with for a week a couple of years ago.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    South America has had Rangers with 4 cylinder turbo diesels for years: they have a different name, though.
    I've seen these in Chile and Argentina, they're Mazda BT50s with a different badge and trim. We get them here as well.
    Good vehicles.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Saw a neat small pickup at the airport in Montego Bay recently. Mitsubishi. And it was a diesel. Of course it isn't sold in the US.
    Thats what I've got. Drove the 2 1/2 hours from home to my sweeties place yesterday, highway speeds most of the way, 6.9 litres of diesel per 100 km. Thats about 55 miles per gallon. Yes I was taking it easy and its not hilly, but thats cheap motoring. I can by the way pull up to 7500 lbs, have 180 hp and huge torque available. Its smooth and quiet to drive, I like it a lot.

John Welsford

Ever since dad moved the family from Chicago to South Bend in 1949, first him, then both of us, now me have owned utility trailers. Pulling one of those with a sedan is no problem for me. The problem is automobiles can't tow boats of any size anymore, so I have had a string of full-size pickups in addition to the utility trailer. Another feature the truck makers emphasize is an impressive aspect at the front; they have to be big and square; Ford's fling with jelly bean styling won't fly anymore.

I remember once seeing a big black Cadillac sedan towing a 35' Airstream through a dusty little byway out in Oklahoma; obviously a cross-country rig, not local; must have been a 450 cid engine, fer'sure.

virtue signaling again?
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    I suspect the regulations regarding fuel mileage have been exed. The return of huge trucks that make 5-10 mpg are coming back like the dinosaur! Big trucks are guaranteed to make America great again!
    Actually, the huge trucks get the fuel economy of a VW Beetle in the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    To get a diesel pickup in the U.S., you have to get a U.S. or Italian truck.

I suppose its well-known that Ford is re-introducing the Ranger in 2018, after Chevy sold 300,000 Colorados last year.

I note that GM is offering a 2.8-litre 4-cyl diesel in the Colorado for 2018. Spendy bugger, though.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    I note that GM is offering a 2.8-litre 4-cyl diesel in the Colorado for 2018. Spendy bugger, though.
    That was in 2016.

I'd like a 2CV pickup......cant get much smaller and still have four wheels. The Ape is just too tiny! But they do a diesel version.

I didn't say that it was new, I just said that it was.

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Thats what I've got. Drove the 2 1/2 hours from home to my sweeties place yesterday, highway speeds most of the way, 6.9 litres of diesel per 100 km. Thats about 55 miles per gallon. Yes I was taking it easy and its not hilly, but thats cheap motoring. I can by the way pull up to 7500 lbs, have 180 hp and huge torque available. Its smooth and quiet to drive, I like it a lot.

John Welsford
    55mpg (imperial gallon?, but still) with the ability to tow a good sized load. Gee, I wonder why those aren’t sold in the states? Who could possibly be against a fuel efficient, practical sized pickup being sold here? ( He said sarcastically)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    That was in 2016.
    Looks like the Colorado Diesel is still offered by Chevy.

In US gallon mpg's, that is 45.8 mpg. Not too shabby. Why not in the 'States (or Canada)? Not a big enough dick to wag in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    I suppose its well-known that Ford is re-introducing the Ranger in 2018, after Chevy sold 300,000 Colorados last year.
    And, unfortunately, they are rolling out the Ranger WITHOUT a diesel option. While holding it out as a possibility for later. <sigh>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    And, unfortunately, they are rolling out the Ranger WITHOUT a diesel option. While holding it out as a possibility for later. <sigh>
    The new Silverado does get a diesel. That is, if the monkeys wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    In US gallon mpg's, that is 45.8 mpg. Not too shabby. Why not in the 'States (or Canada)? Not a big enough dick to wag in public.
    Like all of the other "commercial" type vehicles such as cargo vans, its straight out protectionism. The import duties make the pricing uncompetitive.
    But I have to say I dont understand why one or more of the US manufacturers dont build pickups similar to the Japanese one tonners. 2.5 litre turbo diesels have as much usable power as the v6 gas engined F150, they use half the fuel, and tow a good sized load.
    I am pleased to host visitors from the USA pretty regularly, and quite a few have said straight out that if pickups like mine were available they'd have one in an instant.
    They're 20% of our local new car market.

John Welsford

Living in New Zealand, I noticed that everyone did the same work (delivery, hauling, farming) as in the 'States with smaller and more efficient vehicles.

The delivery vans in Auckland were tiny, compared to the big box trucks used by UPS and FedEx. Certainly easier to maneuver in city traffic, and park.

A large NZ farm might have a compact flatbed truck (a ute) and a few ATVs (farmbikes), where a similar operation in Kansas would have a tonner flatbed, a couple hogmonster pickups (some with 5th wheel hitches for big trailers) and a gaggle of ATVs. Also, enormous tractors with air-conditioned cabs, sound systems, and wireless internet.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Chip, some years back (2010 ?) I went to Ireland (Shannon) and spent a week driving thru the southwest of the countryside - I can definitely see the attraction and usefulness of a small (small-footprint) truck or car.

Rick

I'll say it again - US pickups are bloated. My 2004 3/4 ton has been a great truck, but a 2014 1/2 ton can handle 90% of the load & 80+% of the towing capacity. The 2014 1/2 ton is bigger than my 3/4.

I would love a cabover 4x4 that'd handle a 1500 lb load & tow 9K lb. Daihatsu & Mitsubishi used to make 'em (maybe still do) - but nothing like that is available in the US. Have to go to a much bigger truck (15K GVW or more) to get one.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green