Thread: Bill Page's Belladonna, left to the elements

Unhappy Bill Page's Belladonna, left to the elements

This summer I came across Bill Page's first larger build that he took to the Bahamas with his wife when he was just 25. It's a light displacement design from Francis Kinney before he worked at S&S and with more of a seagoing cabin. Unfortunately, she's been poorly handled by a succession of owners and now lives in a farm field in Ripley, Maine. When I saw her, she was advertised at a flea market as "Free Engine, just need to take boat." Not sure if she's more work to build from scratch again, but the parts are there if anybody wants this project and I have contact info for the folks. The pics show her condition pretty well, but you can see what a few years in a field uncovered will do. If the garboard planks hadn't been removed, I expect she'd be fully rotted out by now. She's mentioned in the article on Bill in WB 240 and there's a picture of her on launch day.

https://goo.gl/photos/LTVzAiQwbTqe9Z146

Default Re: Bill Page's Belladonna, left to the elements

What a shame. Here is another version of the same Kinney design (hull and rig specifically) for sale, also in Maine: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1950...s#.Wj0l0UtG2vE

Another copy similar to Kinney's own SANTA MARIA shown in the b/w photos and plans at the bottom of the OP's link (taken from his "Skene's Elements of Yacht Design") was moored in the harbor I grew up in when young. It had his unusual cockpit layout with sunken cockpit benches/berths that could be covered over for sleeping at night with a boom tent. I always admired the boat and wish I knew what happened to it. AFAIK she was built by one of the Crosby family boatyards, famous for catboats.

The TREMOLINO (as mentioned in the text) was built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works in Wisconsin, according to Lloyd's Register.
    Last edited by rbgarr; 12-23-2017 at 08:01 AM.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

A heartbreaker, as are all such left to die.

Yes! I sent back to you after having connected with Bill (your help) and would/do like to have a connection to the folks that own the remains of Belladonna. I haven't heard from you ... maybe my mistake ...

I'm am deeply interested in following through to Maine this fall! Please advise.

Dave Bruce! To WHOM [^] are you replying/referring?

I realize that this will probably remain in "The Great Limbo" of forum posts, but....

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Dave was referring to me. I let him know that I had heard that Belladonna went to Captain Jim's marine salvage in Portland. Probably chopped up or getting chopped up by now but maybe Dave can get the keel and some nice hardware for his build.

Quote Originally Posted by marujo.sortudo View Post
    I had heard that Belladonna went to Captain Jim's marine salvage in Portland. Probably chopped up or getting chopped up by now....
    Oof. Jim is a nice enough guy but he often asks an arm and a leg for bronze hardware.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

"What fools these mortals be!" Puck

Yeah and he calls it all brass to boot. To get a deal from him you have to come on a good day, and I haven't done it yet. I usually walk away empty handed.